40's

As you get older the attraction of getting that pickled wanes. 

@Peterson515, being meat-free would have nothing to do with it. Starchy foods like bread and spuds are good for lining the stomach first 

• Like 2
PeterPanForever
4 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

As you get older the attraction of getting that pickled wanes. 

@Peterson515, being meat-free would have nothing to do with it. Starchy foods like bread and spuds are good for lining the stomach first 

It’s a possibility. Since going meatless I haven’t found the right balance in my diet and the consequence of that has been that I have been eating an unusual amount of carbs and there is a possibility that there might be some acid reflux thing going on even though I haven’t been feeling that bad until the other night when I had a few beers

• Like 1

Wish me luck! At the age of 48,I'm FINALLY going to learn how to drive a car. I have to study for the written test and then  learn behind the wheel  as monocular with or with out biopic glasses

• Like 4

@newgirl, way to go. My granny was 55 when she learnt to drive, and had a 30 year accident free driving career. 

• Like 1

Turned 46 in March and just realized 2 things. One, I am asexual. Two, I want to move so I can start over. Honestly, realizing I am asexual is freeing.

• Like 6

It really can be a very liberating feeling.

I know when I realized it I stopped trying to live the social blueprint I was just terrible at.

I didn't really want to have children or get married, but I did feel like it was an obligation.

• Like 4

It made a lot of things make more sense once I found out, and made my marriage better. My wife then understood that it wasn't that I just didn't want to be intimate with her personally. After a lot of talks about how things would work for us, and more changes here and there over the last few years, we're at a place we can both be mostly comfortable with. 

• Like 5
PeterPanForever
On 7/23/2018 at 9:12 PM, knichols90 said:

Turned 46 in March and just realized 2 things. One, I am asexual. Two, I want to move so I can start over. Honestly, realizing I am asexual is freeing.

Moving is playing a very large role in my "rebirth" as well. I feel very stuck where I am at, as if I am living a life in a prison cell. I know that it is mostly in my head, but I also know that there is probably a compatibility to be found in many things, including location. I know that I want to live in a place that has a social scene and nightlife and many, many social options. Until I relocate, it feels like I am living in limbo, a sort of cocoon. I knew that I wanted to do this for the past 12 months, and now there are 4 more months to go. Starting completely over at 40 was super weird. At 45 at least I will be living in the city I want to be living in. I am still a sinking ship at the moment though, but there are some positive things happening as well   :)   

• Like 3

Once I finish the degree I'm doing atm, I want to move and start again (literally as I'll have no money ;) )

• Like 3

You'll get there, @Peterson515! And it will be worth it. (at least that was my experience as a "returning student" back in my late 30s/early 40s).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, faraday☘ said:

I want to move too.  I just need some moolah!!!!:D

To Portland? (or Iceland or NZ?) :) 

• Like 2
PeterPanForever

I have been starving for a sense of purpose. I've integrated the concept of God with pantheism and systems thinking, and now my God is Flourishing. This Flourishing is also my mantra. Also, I am trying to develop my Eternal Self. This idea involves temporarily suspending the concept of the gross body and focusing on the subtle body. I ask myself who I would want to be if I didn't have a gross body, and what I would want to look like without a gross body. To be continued .... I guess. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, AndrewT said:

Once I finish the degree I'm doing atm, I want to move and start again (literally as I'll have no money ;) )

I resemble this remark.  I had hoped to move after (finally) finishing my Bachelor's degree last year, but then realized it wasn't feasible.  Now I'm hip-deep in a Master's program.  Of course, it doesn't help that I'm on disability.  With luck, this degree will help me get a position teaching online.

• Like 3

Good luck!

That would be awesome!

• Like 2
BobRossRules
16 hours ago, daveb said:

To Portland? (or Iceland or NZ?) :) 

That would be nice!!  Is traffic bad in Portland, like rush hour and traffic jams?  I actually looked into NZ, but I don't think that would be a possibility for the type of work I'd do.  Iceland is beautiful, but I don't think I'd want to move from one cold place to another.    

12 hours ago, Peterson515 said:

I have been starving for a sense of purpose. I've integrated the concept of God with pantheism and systems thinking, and now my God is Flourishing. This Flourishing is also my mantra. Also, I am trying to develop my Eternal Self. This idea involves temporarily suspending the concept of the gross body and focusing on the subtle body. I ask myself who I would want to be if I didn't have a gross body, and what I would want to look like without a gross body. To be continued .... I guess. 

Yoga?    

• Like 2
2 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

Is traffic bad in Portland, like rush hour and traffic jams?

I'm not the best person to answer that, since I don't have to drive to work and don't drive everyday. Also, coming from so. Cal. and having driven in LA traffic my view might be skewed. :lol:

I don't think it's that bad, but people who have lived here longer and do have to commute seem to complain about the traffic. I'd guess it's probably worse than a smaller city like where you live (but maybe average for a city this size?). Might also depend on where in the area a person lives and where they have to commute to.

• Like 1

@daveb While I didn't drive (still never got my license, though I did have a permit for a while), I went through LA a few times while I was stationed in San Diego. SD didn't seem to be too bad for traffic, but LA was crazy. Here in Wisconsin the traffic is very, very mild by comparison.

• Like 2

Yeah, the last few times I drove in SD the traffic was getting bad enough, at least during rush hour (which is more like 3 hours or so). Of course, it also depends on when and where you're driving, as well as things like weather, fires, accidents, road work, etc. But it could also be relatively decent at times. :) 

• Like 2
PeterPanForever
On 7/29/2018 at 9:27 AM, faraday☘ said:

That would be nice!!  Is traffic bad in Portland, like rush hour and traffic jams?  I actually looked into NZ, but I don't think that would be a possibility for the type of work I'd do.  Iceland is beautiful, but I don't think I'd want to move from one cold place to another.    

Yoga?    

I think that the term is called 'big mind.' Not absolutely sure though. 

• Like 1

Last year was when I figured out - or rather found the name - for my sexuality. I was 42.

42 being the answer to the ultimate question of life the universe and everything...

Thanks Mr. Adams. 

• Like 8
3 hours ago, Snao Cone said:

I wonder what I'll discover at 42...

A new planet? The secret to immortality? The exact number of profoundly annoying people on AVEN? The beginning of your musical career? The possibilities are endless! 🙂

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, OldNews said:

The beginning of your musical career?

You don't know what you're getting yourself into here. :P

• Like 4

I found AVEN at 42 😋 😋 

• Like 6

I found it in my 30 was active for like 3 years and I am going to try to become active again. though i don"t know. I some how have to fond a balance with school as well. I am 42 now for another few weeks.

• Like 3
JHC (pet in waiting)

I've known I was asexual for a few years (not many) and when I found AVEN (on twitter about 2 yrs ago, the forums about 2 months ago) it felt like - YES! I've found my people 🤣 

But the more I learn... being asexual = small amount of people; being asexual and mostly aromantic = smaller amount of people; being asexual and over 25 = even smaller amount of people!

I usually am happy to be unique - who wants to be common! And being "asexual and therefore I don't need another half" stopped me feeling lonely. But I'm feeling blue tonight. I want everyone to be like me (note I still don't want to be like everyone else 😀).

It's not just this. I've been having a bad few weeks, a combination of suffering from the too hot weather and come down after volunteering at an absolutely wonderful mini festival.

• Like 3
PeterPanForever

For quite awhile I was content with the online asexual community and the only barrier to meeting new asexuals was that you had to adopt the mindset that it was up to you to initiate conversations and step out of your shell. I then got a girlfriend who wasn't textbook asexual in that she doesn't even know what it is, but she appears to be sex-repulsed for medical reasons, and it just worked. I met her online, but then as we started moving it offline and spending time together in person, it was every bit my cup of tea. We broke up at the end of 2017, and I find it difficult if not impossible to capture that same experience now with online relationships. At this point of my life, I am all about meeting asexuals offline, hanging out, tearing up the city, and anyway, I want to build those kinds of relationships and I don't think that it is impossible. The larger cities have asexual groups who meet regularly, and the only thing that I struggle with is my age, but I don't act my age, and most people ten years younger than me soon forget that I am in my mid-forties, so I think that I shouldn't emphasize it to the degree that I do. For myself, it doesn't take many peeps for me to have a healthy social life, five compatible asexual friends would be plenty. 

• Like 1