40's

4 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

Oh my gosh, @newgirl.  I hope you make a full recovery!  @Flamered I hope you recovered from your heart surgery.  I too hate talking on the phone.  I prefer email, text, or PMs.

@gothicowlz Welcome!!!  Here's to new beginnings....and a happy life!

@Flamered and @newgirl  Sometimes the loneliness gets to me too.  My dogs and cats help with that.  

our cat doesnt really like being held, but loves to be petted & that too is helpful 🙂

i have fortunately healed, more or less😉

i have wires around my sternum that i can sometimes feel, & i am not as quick as i used to be. 

• Like 1
SweetAndSassy

Hello again everyone.  I know that months ago I mentioned having a less than positive experience on an online dating site.  Being the incurable optimist that I am, I have not given up on the idea of finding a romantic partner, but have been a bit confused as to where to meet such a person.  I am not a big drinker and am not into the bar scene, so that is out of the question.  So I would like to pose two questions:

To those of you who are in a romantic relationship, where and how did you meet your significant other?

To everyone, any suggestions on where I could start looking for that special someone?

• Like 1
BobRossRules

@SweetAndSassy I don't really know the answer to that.  Some people meet right here on AVEN.  I mean it's not a dating site, but if you find someone interesting, you can send them a message.  The meetup mart thread (here on AVEN) also may be a good place to meet someone or a group of people in real life if your close.  Some people use ace-book.net, an asexual dating site.  I didn't find that one to be useful for me.  Others will use traditional dating sites like okcupid, match, tinder, or even bumble.  If you live in a larger city, meetup.com has social groups for people of similar interest.  I'm sure others have better suggestions.  Good luck!       

• Like 1
SweetAndSassy

Thank you @faraday☘, I will keep all that in mind.  Sadly I live in a big city with a small town mentality, so socializing is not always easy.

• Like 2
BobRossRules
1 hour ago, SweetAndSassy said:

Thank you @faraday☘, I will keep all that in mind.  Sadly I live in a big city with a small town mentality, so socializing is not always easy.

LOL, I live in a small town with a small town mentality.  Socializing isn't easy on my end either.  I appreciate it when out-of-town friends visit or when I have the opportunity to travel with a friend.  Even attending ACE meetups when I get the opportunity if I'm in a big city is something I try to do.:)    

• Like 1
1 hour ago, faraday☘ said:

I appreciate it when out-of-town friends visit or when I have the opportunity to travel with a friend.  Even attending ACE meetups when I get the opportunity if I'm in a big city is something I try to do.:)

same here :)

2 minutes ago, SweetAndSassy said:

Thank you again @faraday☘.  I should see where the closest ACE meetup is for me :) 

It is good to meet up with other aces when you get the chance. :) 

• Like 1

I have a question for the rest of you 40-somethings:

when did you figure out that you were asexual?

When did you find the term "asexual"?

Cause i feel old as dirt about when i found the term, though looking back i always was asexual

• Like 2

I'm not 40-something. I found out about asexuality when I was in my 50s, so you're on the young side from where I stand. :lol: 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Flamered said:

Cause i feel old as dirt about when i found the term, though looking back i always was asexual

I feel the same way.  I was around 37 or 38 when I realized "being attracted" to someone really meant wanting to sleep with them (for the most part).  I had been "attracted" to men, but it was never in that way.  I felt a bit dumb and naive I was oblivious to this for far to long.  And of course then googled why I never felt the "urge" and found the term "asexual".  I didn't accept it at first, but when I was nearly 40 I revisited it and decided it was the case for me.  This month is 5 official years as identifying as Ace.  

• Like 4

@daveb & @GeoAmy.......

Once i found it & read what it entailed, there was a lot of clicking going on inside my head from when i was younger. 

A lot of it was things previous partners had said or treated me, & i never really cared for sex.  it was quite an awkward experience.

tumblr_nvvfmjTxbh1urbx1to1_1280.png

• Like 2

The important thing is we all got here. And with increased visibility and education more people will learn sooner. It's all good. :) 

• Like 4
PeterPanForever
15 hours ago, Flamered said:

I was in the 8th grade when I began subtly considering that something about me might be a bit "off." It wasn't til around thirty that I discovered the term 'asexual,' about fifteen years ago. 

• Like 2
BobRossRules

8th grade is when I started to sense something too.  In high school is when I knew for sure.  Since the asexual community was not around, I just thought I was different.  3 years ago I discovered term "asexual".  I was 46 then.    

• Like 1

Hmm,

It was a little earlier for me.

4th grade maybe.

All I knew as a kid was that kissing disturbed me for some reason.

It still does to a certain extent.

And that I was a little more disconnected from the rest of my peers at the time.

I think I might also have had a touch of social anxiety, but I'm not 100% sure.

• Like 2

I'm 42.  Just starting to discover myself.  

PeterPanForever

I am going through a mid-life crisis and want to learn a karaoke song. 

• Like 2

Hmm,

I suggest a Queen song.

But I love Queen, so that is a biased suggestion.

• Like 3
PeterPanForever
37 minutes ago, argar said:

Hmm,

I suggest a Queen song.

But I love Queen, so that is a biased suggestion.

I have a terrible voice, but if I listen to the song enough, if I memorize the lyrics, if it owns me and I can get into it, then maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to pull it off at a karaoke bar at 1am when everyone is drunk off their rocker and needs a pick me up. Here are the three songs that I am learning in order of importance and chances of being able to actually get up there and do it:

1) Drops of Jupiter - Train

2) Break My Stride - Matthew Wilder

3) What's Up - 4 Non Blondes (I have strong doubts about this one and so maybe I'll check into Queen.)

• Like 1

Oh, good choices!

I once did a Herman's Hermits "There's a kind of hush" because it's short and the lyrics are easy.

• Like 2
PeterPanForever
3 minutes ago, argar said:

Oh, good choices!

I once did a Herman's Hermits "There's a kind of hush" because it's short and the lyrics are easy.

I just found a replacement for What's Up! I want to learn Falling to Pieces - Faith No More, and do it in a funny voice, just to go way off the deep end, LOL!!! DOING IT!!!   :D

• Like 1

Cool!

I've always liked Leonard Cohen's "Everybody Knows," it's slow and has interesting lyrics.

• Like 2
Skycaptain

@Dande, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂

• Like 3

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.   I think 3 years ago, when I had gone to my first PrideFest in Erie, PA -- that was when I knew I was different.  I was attracted to androgynous people.  No pure women.  No cis women.  Ehhh for a pure man or cis man.  But this interesting mix of androgyny struck a cord with me.  I seem to prefer the feminine male over the masculine male.  And I seem to prefer a masculine female over a feminine female.  Yes, I'm weird.  I know.  LOL

• Like 3
PeterPanForever
38 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

@Peterson515 Please record your karaoke adventure!!!!

Hahahahaaaaaaaaaa maybe one day, but you have to understand, just because I enjoy singing when I am alone doesn't mean that I am good at it. I am not. But I appreciate a good time   :)   

• Like 2

Dande

Hey Pittsburgh in the house. Pittsburgh is   my birthplace. Welcome to the group.

• Like 2
On 6/28/2018 at 1:25 PM, Flamered said:

I knew that I didn't feel sexual or romantic attraction in my early teens. Over the years, I made my life work on that basis (without thinking of it as a sexual orientation).

I read an article about asexuality when I was 40. I have experienced very few moments that could be described with the word epiphany -- but learning about asexuality was one of them. That was three years ago. In 25+ years, it had never occurred to me that other people might be in a similar situation!

A few days ago, I posted a "coming out" message on Facebook. I was genuinely expecting to get a certain amount negative feedback and nastiness. I actually got a tremendous amount of support and positive feedback! Of 177 FB friends, 80 have reacted with "Like" or "Love". I didn't lose a single friend.

• Like 2