40's

BobRossRules

My masters was in statistics.   I actually enjoyed it.  During my doctoral program, I taught some statistic courses (and physics too).  

So Platte City, kinda in the middle of nowhere, eh?  Is it near your university, or is all your courses online?  Good luck with the course.  

Most of my social life is online.  I'm trying to be more social in my area.  I've been exploring meetup.com.  However, there isn't much activity and not many groups I'm interested in.  I signed up for a vegan group, but it hasn't been active in over a year.   

• Like 4
PeterPanForever
1 hour ago, faraday☘ said:

My masters was in statistics.   I actually enjoyed it.  During my doctoral program, I taught some statistic courses (and physics too).  

So Platte City, kinda in the middle of nowhere, eh?  Is it near your university, or is all your courses online?  Good luck with the course.  

Most of my social life is online.  I'm trying to be more social in my area.  I've been exploring meetup.com.  However, there isn't much activity and not many groups I'm interested in.  I signed up for a vegan group, but it hasn't been active in over a year.   

Statistics can be enjoyable for sure! I do believe that it would be a great investment as a degree, and I have thought about it, but went in a different direction. However, nearly everything that interests me within academia involves statistics. 

Yeah, Platte City is in the middle of nowhere. I have been trying to look on the bright side of being here. It got me out of Utah and into Limbo, where I can make choices that I wouldn't ordinarily make. It is also a nice place to take a time out from life and renew my vows to a meditative lifestyle. There were some super strange sounds down by the creek in front of my apartment Saturday night though. It sounded like the aliens versus the hyenas, ripping apart a hound dog. I keep my door locked, even when I am in the house. People are afraid of the inner city, goddamn, it's the country that makes me shit myself. 

All of my courses will be online. I didn't want to get my master's in sociology at USU, and so I decided to do this online course and see how I like it. I was burnt out of the scene, and just wanted to be alone for a little while, to do my own thing, but I still love the studying aspect of academia. We shall see how this goes. I am just taking things one day at a time, placing one foot in front of the other. I don't like to think about what is front of me, but I do know that I can continue down the road I am on for another five years or so. 

Good luck building a social life! I will make the attempt in ten months.    :)   

• Like 3

@Peterson515 While looking up American Public University I saw that they have a sister school of American Military University, so I'm looking strongly into going for a Bachelor's in Business Analytics. I have about 108 transferable credits from my time in the military, although I'm sure not all of it will be applicable. If all goes well, I'm shooting to start sometime in the summer.

• Like 4
PeterPanForever
5 hours ago, Spotastic said:

@Peterson515 While looking up American Public University I saw that they have a sister school of American Military University, so I'm looking strongly into going for a Bachelor's in Business Analytics. I have about 108 transferable credits from my time in the military, although I'm sure not all of it will be applicable. If all goes well, I'm shooting to start sometime in the summer.

Today was my first day, and in courses both AMU and APU students are enrolled. There are about 25 students in the course I am in, a course that starts monthly. This surprised me. Also, about ten of those had posted in the introduction forum, and I believe that every one of them had a military background. And on top of that, you just can't beat the price. Traditional colleges are entering the online environment, but the problem is, it's not what they do. For APU and AMU, online is what they do; it's their specialty and their market. Online isn't for everyone, but as of yet, I am not regretting the decision to go this route. $350 per credit is among the most affordable you will find. I can take a full load and still pay room and board. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2018 at 7:35 PM, SweetAndSassy said:

I am 45, and for me the big change has been that I recently realized that I do not want to be alone anymore.  I never married, and have no kids, and the last time I dated was a few presidents ago.  So a few months ago I decided I should try dating again.  I joined a couple of online dating sites and quickly learned that the men I was communicating with all automatically assumed and expected that I was sexually active given my age.  This was very surprising to say the least, but it did prompt some serious soul searching on my part, which helped me acknowledge that I am ace.  Since many of you following this thread are within the same age range, you know that being asexual was something that was not really talked about back when we were teenagers still trying to fit in, so I never really gave much thought to the fact that sex was just not interesting to me.  I eventually stopped dating because I figured that the older I got, the more likely it would be that the relationship would have to become sexual at some point.  And being familiar with the saying "don't knock it til you try it", yes I did try it, and it just helped to prove that sex is not for me.  So back to the present, after doing some research I learned that I was not alone, that what I was feeling was normal and it has a name, asexuality.  So am I being unrealistic in thinking that I may actually find my soulmate this time around because I understand myself better now?

I have had a lot of the same experience.  Wondering too how to make life work a little better, with some form of demi, gray, ace identity.

• Like 1

I will officially be in the 40s group in a few weeks. The internet and AVEN is my home for friendship. Very difficult as I get older. Most people have paired off and have kids. Thus, I would either be a third wheel and in the way of family dynamics. Feel the inevitability of it all. That the role in my neighborhood is that of the lonely person, alone, weird, different. 

I do fine on my own but maybe at some point I would look more at those meetup type groups. Not a singles group. But an activity-based group. Very hard to make friends as an adult when you do not have that common theme of marriage, children. At least, so it seems.

• Like 5

@darkgreen I know that a lot of AVEN meetups are setup through meetup.com. You might want to find where you're from in the meetup section of the forums and see if there's anything going on there. 

• Like 1

I wonder where do most Asexual over 40 live in the USA.  I need to start going to meetup again. I've only been to 2 in 10 years

Wow !  I turn 48 years old this weekend. I'm happy to be alive but I feel  lonely.

• Like 1
BobRossRules

@newgirl Happy (early) birthday!!  I'm 48 too.  I'm sorry you're lonely.  I really don't know where most of the Aces are living in the USA.  There is at least ONE in Idaho.:lol:  When visiting the UK, organizing a meetup was super easy.  It seems there are so many meets and opportunities to meet folks in real life there.  However, in the US, every time I've visited a larger city such Seattle or Boston, I've attempted to organize a meet, and never gotten a reply.       

• Like 2
21 hours ago, newgirl said:

I wonder where do most Asexual over 40 live in the USA.  I need to start going to meetup again. I've only been to 2 in 10 years

Wow !  I turn 48 years old this weekend. I'm happy to be alive but I feel  lonely.

Happy birthday :cake: !

I guess one of those was that meetup in L.A., eh? :) 

• Like 1

Hello everyone hope you don’t mind me jumping in here. I’m 41 and I’ve only just found this site after spending most of my life feeling like there is something wrong with me for the way I am about sex and I’m still very confused about it all but hoping being here among like minded people I’ll be able to but myself in a better place. Yeah I’m not really looking for a label as such but I know the way I am isn’t the same as a high majority or the population. I like the idea of sex quite a lot actually (lol sorry) it’s just when it comes down to the actually act I shut down and can’t go through with it therefore I just avoid relationships with men as I find it easier to just say hey I like being single..but truth is sometimes it would be nice to have someone to share life with who understands.

anyhoo erm hi everyone xx

• Like 2

@Aellae, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 :cake::cake:

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Aellae said:

Hello everyone hope you don’t mind me jumping in here. I’m 41 and I’ve only just found this site after spending most of my life feeling like there is something wrong with me for the way I am about sex and I’m still very confused about it all but hoping being here among like minded people I’ll be able to but myself in a better place. Yeah I’m not really looking for a label as such but I know the way I am isn’t the same as a high majority or the population. I like the idea of sex quite a lot actually (lol sorry) it’s just when it comes down to the actually act I shut down and can’t go through with it therefore I just avoid relationships with men as I find it easier to just say hey I like being single..but truth is sometimes it would be nice to have someone to share life with who understands.

Hi and welcome from Sunderland

• Like 2
BobRossRules

@Aellae Welcome!! Have some cake.:cake:  There is lots of info and supportive folks here on AVEN.

My New Zealand trip is coming up and I'm stoked!  I can't wait.  Less than 3 weeks.:D

• Like 4

Hi all...I recently came across this website and just wanted to say hey and introduce myself. <waving> I'm 41 and it's nice to know there are others out there that can relate.😀

• Like 3

Waves a hello, how’s everyone doing today?

im tired I’m on a run of night shifts lol so I look like a zombie today 😂

• Like 1
11 hours ago, IBAsexual said:

Hi all...I recently came across this website and just wanted to say hey and introduce myself. <waving> I'm 41 and it's nice to know there are others out there that can relate.😀

8 hours ago, Aellae said:

Waves a hello, how’s everyone doing today?

im tired I’m on a run of night shifts lol so I look like a zombie today 😂

On 3/29/2018 at 4:46 AM, Aellae said:

Hi! and Welcome to AVEN.  It's a cool place to be.

I hang out on the 50's thread because that is where most of the action is, and I have a lot of great friends on that thread..  (plus I am almost 55)  No ID required over there, so just jump in and post something.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I’m  43, female, married, have a kid and live in Scotland and this is all new to me, but at the same time sounds somewhat familiar.

• Like 2

@Lucy25 welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂

• Like 2

Nope,

I do my best not to look back.

Who I was then and who I am know are different people.

Plus, I have zero interest in the people I went to high school with.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, newgirl said:

Would you go to a high school reunion?

I did go to one (I think it was my 30th reunion?). It was kind of interesting, but I didn't have much desire to go to the next one.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, newgirl said:

no, I had no friends then either :)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, newgirl said:

Probably, but, as others have said, it's 28 years since I left, and 26 years since I met a school colleague, it would be a gathering of strangers, but I'd like to see if any others have done such a good job as me of wasting potential :P

*not bitter, just being realistic *

• Like 4
3 hours ago, daveb said:

I did go to one (I think it was my 30th reunion?). It was kind of interesting, but I didn't have much desire to go to the next one.

Were some people bragging about their job and money?

• Like 2
Just now, newgirl said:

Were some people bragging about their job and money?

Not that I noticed. There was talk about where people were in their lives at the time, but more in the sense of just catching up with each other.

• Like 1
BobRossRules

@Lucy25 He and welcome.

It's funny, a friend of mine at work were discussing this very same topic earlier this week.  I really never had any interest in attending my high school reunions.  I didn't enjoy high school.  I was very awkward and bullied, and didn't have any close friends.  If I went, I wouldn't really have anyone to catch up with.  I do have a tiny bit of satisfaction that my life is probably better than most, plus I didn't get fat.:lol:

• Like 3
8 hours ago, newgirl said:

I went to my 20th reunion.   It was interesting to see how age treated different people.  Smaller people seemed to age better.  I saw some people I knew, including a couple of friends.  I learned who had died.  I don't remember any talk of careers or money or success,  and of course people were proud of their kids.  I don't think there was ever another one after that, and I wouldn't go to it anyway.

• Like 1