40's

When i was young ,I was POLLYANNA when it came to  finding love  and being in a romantic relationship. But now that i'm in my late 40's,  I'm wonderingshould I just give up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, newgirl said:

When i was young ,I was POLLYANNA when it cam to  finding love  and being in a romantic relationship. But now that i'm in my late 40's,  I'm worrying should I just give up.

What I have found is that often the right person comes along when you're not looking for it. I have been happily married for 10 years now to a woman I met online while trying out a game that was recommended to me by a friend. The key thing that keeps us close is open communication. We both went through a lot dealing with finding out about my asexuality and my autism at about the same time. Now we understand what the other wants and if those things ever change, we talk about it. Hang in there, and perhaps try not to stress yourself over it.

• Like 3
On 2/23/2018 at 11:14 AM, argar said:

@faraday☘

I thought you had a fancy bike you used to walk the dogs?

I do, but it's too big for the sidewalks, so I'd have to ride in the street.  Given that it's so wide, it would be too dangerous for Marybeth as she would be even farther into the street.  If I had a scooter, then I can use the sidewalks.  The bike is perfect for my neighborhood and out on the trails though.   

@newgirl Hang in there!  I agree with @Spotastic, hopefully someone will come along when you least expect it.  

• Like 3
SweetAndSassy

I consider myself a bit of a Pollyanna myself, just like @newgirl, what is a bit funny is that discovering I am asexual has made me more of a Pollyanna.  It helped me realize that it is possible to find someone who can accept for who I am.  Difficult, yes but still possible.  I do believe what @Spotastic says about the right person coming along when you are not expecting it.  Keep hope alive :) 

• Like 4
PeterPanForever

I have been struggling lately, but am beginning to see the blessing in all that has been happening. I begin a master's program in five days, and am super excited to get going on it. I feel the need to put my hopes of finding a significant other on the back-burner, and focus those energies on the part of my life that is working. It dawned on me last night, that I need to be okay with being single. Full steam ahead!!!  :)   

• Like 5

Dang!

I can't just pick one! Lol

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, SweetAndSassy said:

Fun question: what is your favorite 80's movie?

back to the future

• Like 2

The Princess Bride

(Raiders of the Lost Ark would be up there, too; as well as several other movies)

• Like 3
2 hours ago, SweetAndSassy said:

Fun question: what is your favorite 80's movie?

Do I have to pick just one? There are a number of them I will sit down and watch, either on TV or by putting in a DVD ...

• Like 2
PeterPanForever

Dream a Little Dream and Say Anything  :)   

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SweetAndSassy said:

Oh I  love Princess Bride @daveb it is so romantic. 

Also good comedy and adventure and lots of great lines. :) 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, SweetAndSassy said:

To answer your question @fuzzipueo pick as many as you want, I know it is a tough choice :) 

LOL OK:

Ghostbusters

Back to the Future series

Goonies

(Escape to) Victory

Princess Bride

Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back

Star Trek: The Voyage Home

My Best Friend is a Vampire (HBO movie)

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Indiana Jones franchise

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

The Lost Boys

Trading Places

Big Trouble in Little China

The Wizard of Speed and Time

Aliens

The Terminator

Ladyhawke

• Like 3
SweetAndSassy

I like your list @fuzzipueo there are a couple of titles in there that I have not seen.  I will keep an eye for them on TV :D

• Like 3
BobRossRules

I was going to mention Princess Bride and Ghostbusters too...

Strange Brew is my fav.  

Joe Versus the Volcano (but that might be early 90s?) is an all time fav of mine too.  

On 3/1/2018 at 8:27 PM, Peterson515 said:

I have been struggling lately, but am beginning to see the blessing in all that has been happening. I begin a master's program in five days, and am super excited to get going on it. I feel the need to put my hopes of finding a significant other on the back-burner, and focus those energies on the part of my life that is working. It dawned on me last night, that I need to be okay with being single. Full steam ahead!!!  :)   

Ditto on the singles thing brah.  Good luck with the master's grogram.  Environmental science, right?  

• Like 3
PeterPanForever
1 hour ago, faraday☘ said:

I was going to mention Princess Bride and Ghostbusters too...

Strange Brew is my fav.  

Joe Versus the Volcano (but that might be early 90s?) is an all time fav of mine too.  

Ditto on the singles thing brah.  Good luck with the master's grogram.  Environmental science, right?  

Sociological sustainability is my academic passion, and sustainability itself consists of three pillars: society, economy, and the environment. I focused my bachelors on society and the environment, and so I decided to get my first masters in business analytics. It starts on Monday, and I am sooooooooooooooo excited!

• Like 5
SweetAndSassy

Thank you all for the great replies.  I consider myself an 80's movie buff, but I actually learned of  some titles that I managed to miss during all this time, so that means I have some catching up to do, lol.

• Like 2
SweetAndSassy

On the matter of education and relationships that @Peterson515 has discussed, I have been there myself.  I will have earned my second master's degree this coming May and while I am proud of what  I have accomplished, thinking back on it, it would have been nice to have a special someone to share that with.  I know everyone has to make their own choices, but speaking for myself, I now recognize that throwing myself into my school work was my way of avoiding relationships and the heartache that often goes with them.

• Like 2
PeterPanForever
7 minutes ago, SweetAndSassy said:

On the matter of education and relationships that @Peterson515 has discussed, I have been there myself.  I will have earned my second master's degree this coming May and while I am proud of what  I have accomplished, thinking back on it, it would have been nice to have a special someone to share that with.  I know everyone has to make their own choices, but speaking for myself, I now recognize that throwing myself into my school work was my way of avoiding relationships and the heartache that often goes with them.

What are your degrees in? Including bachelors....

• Like 1
SweetAndSassy

Bachelor's in Business Administration, Master's in Business Administration, and I will soon have earned a Master's in Library Science.  While I found the business world interesting, it was not for me.  I have always been a book worm and have felt at home around  books.  Being a librarian is about so much more than books as I have learned, it is about being  an information professional.  This means knowing where to find information and how to evaluate it which I find really fascinating.  

• Like 5

This is awesome!

We need more people in the world spreading factual information.

• Like 5
PeterPanForever
20 minutes ago, SweetAndSassy said:

Bachelor's in Business Administration, Master's in Business Administration, and I will soon have earned a Master's in Library Science.  While I found the business world interesting, it was not for me.  I have always been a book worm and have felt at home around  books.  Being a librarian is about so much more than books as I have learned, it is about being  an information professional.  This means knowing where to find information and how to evaluate it which I find really fascinating.  

Very interesting! I think that it is such a blessing that you tapped into your passion. For awhile, the very thought of business made me want to vomit, but I am coming around, as I know that there is no escaping it. Within the realm of sustainable societies, business must be included and integrated. There are some tools in the master's program that I am starting on Monday, one of them being data analytics. Big data and data science will play an enormous role in transitioning to sustainability. Deep down, I want a career. I want a social life that isn't online. I want to be where the action is at, and in the center of bipolar ideas. I currently moved to Platte City for a woman who I had been with for 4 1/2 years, just to get dumped. I signed a year lease in this one horse town, and when it is up I am going to move to D.C.

• Like 3
SweetAndSassy
10 minutes ago, Peterson515 said:

Very interesting! I think that it is such a blessing that you tapped into your passion. For awhile, the very thought of business made me want to vomit, but I am coming around, as I know that there is no escaping it. Within the realm of sustainable societies, business must be included and integrated. There are some tools in the master's program that I am starting on Monday, one of them being data analytics. Big data and data science will play an enormous role in transitioning to sustainability. Deep down, I want a career. I want a social life that isn't online. I want to be where the action is at, and in the center of bipolar ideas. I currently moved to Platte City for a woman who I had been with for 4 1/2 years, just to get dumped. I signed a year lease in this one horse town, and when it is up I am going to move to D.C.

I am sorry to hear you went through that.  I can see why focusing on your education will be a good "break" from all that.  Business is not that bad.  Learning about all the different elements that go into the daily operations of an organization was interesting.  I must admit that I did better with accounting than statistics, lol.  As for the social life, I can relate.  I am actually pretty new to this whole online community thing, so for me it has been a step in the right direction.

• Like 3
PeterPanForever
13 minutes ago, SweetAndSassy said:

I am sorry to hear you went through that.  I can see why focusing on your education will be a good "break" from all that.  Business is not that bad.  Learning about all the different elements that go into the daily operations of an organization was interesting.  I must admit that I did better with accounting than statistics, lol.  As for the social life, I can relate.  I am actually pretty new to this whole online community thing, so for me it has been a step in the right direction.

The relationship consisted of two good years and two bad years, and four very bad months, but I am still butt-hurt about it, but also trying to be understanding as well. I am just now coming out the other side of some deep depression, and beginning to see the blessing in having my life back. 

I think that it will be interesting to look at business through the lens of data and sustainability, to drive innovation. I like accounting and statistics, but I also like environmentalism, and there is a special place in my heart for social change. 

I have been doing the online community for over ten years, and during that time frame my "rl" social life has become nonexistent, and I hate it. The online realm served a purpose and I am so very grateful, but I miss having friends that I can go out and do things with. I miss happy, smiling faces, and laughter. I have been feeling strongly that I need to move somewhere where I am can build a social network and sense of community, and if I wasn't such a weirdo than that someplace could be anyplace. 

• Like 2

@Peterson515 It sounds like you are pursuing the kind of things that I'm interested in. I have been looking for somewhere that I could study data analytics online so that I don't waste my GI Bill. I have less than 5 years before it goes away. :unsure:

• Like 2
PeterPanForever
2 hours ago, Spotastic said:

@Peterson515 It sounds like you are pursuing the kind of things that I'm interested in. I have been looking for somewhere that I could study data analytics online so that I don't waste my GI Bill. I have less than 5 years before it goes away. :unsure:

The program that I am taking online is business analytics, but data analytics plays a large role in the course. It is through American Public University, which is one of the most affordable online colleges on the market, at $350 per credit. I start Monday, so I can't tell you much about it, but it was a very smooth transition from Utah State University to APU, as soon as the transcripts were taken care of. I graduated in December 15th or so from USU, and now in March I am begging my master's. I am quite pleased with the organization, so far. It's no Duke or Harvard, but this is just the route that I wanted to take at this stage of my life. 

• Like 2