"Sexuals" - What do YOU want to be called?

Member33070

Is the term "sexual" okay with you, or not? ("Sexuals" only, please!)  

1. 1. Are you okay with the current standard of using the word "sexual" to describe you?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which of these sound acceptable to you? Check all that apply.

• Sexual
    • Non-asexual
    • Non-ace
    • Not asexual
    • Verisexual (ie, "true sexual")
    • Listing - something like "heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, and pansexual folks"
    • "A person who experiences sexual attraction"
    • I have a better idea and I will tell you in a post in this thread!
    • I don't have any ideas but I hate all of these.
  3. 3. Now, which of those terms is your favorite, preferred term?

• Sexual
    • Non-asexual
    • Non-ace
    • Not asexual
    • Verisexual (ie, "true sexual")
    • Listing - something like "heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, and pansexual folks"
    • "A person who experiences sexual attraction"
    • I have a better idea and I will tell you in a post in this thread!
    • I don't have any ideas but I hate all of these.

The main reason I (as an asexual - still not going to vote here and all!) have become very uncomfortable using "sexual" is that I've heard people say that it comes with a lot of baggage for them, to the point where it can be triggering, and I really don't want to end up making someone feel like crap. I realize that pretty much everything can, in theory, be a trigger, but some things are just a lot more likely to be one than others, and I can see how calling someone "sexual" could be one of them. So whatever AVEN decides, I personally will probably go with "poikkisexual" until I find a more, uh, intuitive-sounding alternative.

The main reason I (as an asexual - still not going to vote here and all!) have become very uncomfortable using "sexual" is that I've heard people say that it comes with a lot of baggage for them, to the point where it can be triggering, and I really don't want to end up making someone feel like crap. I realize that pretty much everything can, in theory, be a trigger, but some things are just a lot more likely to be one than others, and I can see how calling someone "sexual" could be one of them. So whatever AVEN decides, I personally will probably go with "poikkisexual" until I find a more, uh, intuitive-sounding alternative.

This makes me think of people who were sexually assaulted. many of them aren't asexuals, but will never have sex because of the trauma. I imagine some of them might have issues with being called "sexual". Also going a bit off topic, but related to this thought, the red cross doesn't accept blood donations from anyone who has ever been sexually active with someone of the same gender. This means that for a young man who was raped at a young age and is just getting over it, to go into a place to give blood could turn out to bring all those memories back to him. While the result is unintentional, we should try to avoid causing people to have these sort of issues.

Skulls: YEAH THAT! :cake:

And...Poikkisexual? WTF? Who came up with that and thought it was a good idea? Nope. I don't like it. How do you pronounce it? Where did the prefix come from and what does it imply about us? How is it helping people who are bothered by the term "sexual" if the word we're using still contains the word "sexual"?

I just don't get how adding a confusing prefix is supposed to help. It's like putting icing on manure. It's still manure. It just has some fancy icing on it that you're not sure why is there.

I have no idea how exactly triggers "usually" work, but I do get the impression prefixes are a big deal in this case for a lot of people (for other reasons, too), so I'll just take their word for it and change my language accordingly. It's a personal decision to take up "poikkisexual", but I myself don't find anything problematic about the word (can't say the same for "verisesual" or "non-asexual"). As for how it's pronounced... not important to me. If the term ever becomes common, I'll just watch a youtube video and find out, and if not... pretty much no one I meet will know how much I fail at the pronounciation thing. xD (Not even sure I'll ever use the term in real life, but then again, I don't use "sexual" much, either.)

As to what the word means (and who came up with it): http://aceadmiral.tumblr.com/post/12161047814/more-suggestions-to-replace-otj

• 5 months later...
Notte stellata

I've seen the term "allosexual" used on some asexual blogs. Maybe that's a more PC name than "sexual".

The Great WTF

I've seen the term "allosexual" used on some asexual blogs. Maybe that's a more PC name than "sexual".

I never understood how "allosexual" could be more PC than "sexual". Allosexual sounds like someone trying to come up with a PC term for someone who's very promiscuous.

Notte stellata

I never understood how "allosexual" could be more PC than "sexual". Allosexual sounds like someone trying to come up with a PC term for someone who's very promiscuous.

Yeah, I also wonder why they don't just say "sexual". I assume they think allosexual is more PC, but personally I have no idea about its implication or if it's really more PC.

I've also seen some people using *sexual, which to me is no different than simply "sexual".

5_♦♣

Just call us "NORMAL" fully functional men or women because that is what we are.

By capitalizing 'normal', you seem to be implying that us Aces are abnormal.

Just call us "NORMAL" fully functional men or women because that is what we are.

Sadly, Clubs you may be reading that right. Anyway, I'm going to keep using sexual to describe myself. It's fine by me.

This is the impression that I got as well.

x

Whatever you wish to be called, Rimmer, what you said is sneakily but obviously insulting to asexuals. <_<

Please refrain from insulting other members, either directly or indirectly. If the insults and insinuations continue, this thread will be temporarily locked.

Larien, SPFA moderator

Guest member25959

x

What are you quoting? I hope you're aware that the post was blanked and the member wasn't suggesting that we call sexuals as 'X'

Archived