Famous Asexuals

Granted I'm only using Wikipedia but that seems to imply he had multiple sexual relationships. It even suggests some with men. Not that we can really tell one way or the other.

Something seems off about trying to assign people as asexuals anyway.

• 4 months later...
Oh yeah, Tesla. He rocks!

I second that opinion...I'm actually in the process of reading a biography about him.

Did you know he was Romanian? :D Both his parents were istro-Romanians, his family name was romanian, Tesla was just a nickname of his ancestors that he used as his own name after leaving the country. "Tesla" in Romanian means a blacksmith's hammer-like tool. His father and grandfather were blacksmiths. His birth documents are in Romania as a proof, but Romanians like to feel proud about it without bragging and claiming rights...

http://members.chello.nl/e.n.secasiu/Tesla.htm

You can find more information about it by Yahoo!ing "Nikola Tesla" or "Nicolae Tesla" and "Romanian".

Come on. :rolleyes:

Why does everyone want him nowadays? If he ever thought he was a Romanian, he would've left something to Romanian people, his ashes and post-death mask wouldn't be 1 km away from where I'm sitting right now. Come on. There's no global conspiracy against Romania or anything.

A close family friend of mine spent all her life studying about Tesla and she spent the last ten years of her life as the head of the Tesla museum. If there was heaven, she'd be pointing and laughing from there.

Nikola Tesla was a Serb, born and raised in Croatia.

And there's no speculation about it, as it's quite obvious.

• 5 weeks later...
Paula Poundstone most likely.

Cate

This is from Paula Poundstone's memoirs:

"[after talking about Joan of Arc being celebrated for remaining a virgin] I am not, at this time, a virgin myself, but I don't like sex, so I abstain, which should certainly be at least a cousin to virgin, perhaps deserving something in an honorary title. Should I become a beloved hero in my time, my followers could refer to me as 'virginish.' ...The idea that I'd get to my bed and there'd be someone in there with whom I was supposed to have an activity is horrifying to me. It's a safe bet that I'm not good at sex, that I do it wrong. In fact, there's probably something horribly wrong with me, and if I went to a sex therapist several times a week to spend endless hours talking about it, took medications, watched educational films, and worked with plastic figurines, I could probably be miraculously cured, but I can't imagine a feeling, sexual or otherwise, that'd be so satisfying, so pleasurable, that it'd outweigh the appeal of sleep."

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone,

just to pick up the thread. Was wondering if Captain Cook was asexual. Okay, he fathered a child each time when at home with his wife, but this might not mean much? I don't know. At least on all his Pacific Island travels he seemed to behave like an asexual. I guess one could argue he was faithful to his wife, but there are some rare journal entries, e.g. one where he talks about being presented with a beautiful young girl in Polynesia, and he actually fled by jumping out of the boat. Another journal entry talks about the relationships his crew had with women - showing no affection whatsoever. Can't remember exactly, but some of his crew found it a bit strange that Cook never had a relationship or even seemed interested in any of the women on the islands, even while they threw themselves at him.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Edward Gorey.

From wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Gorey

Although Gorey's books were popular with children, he did not associate with children much and had no particular fondness for them. Gorey never married, professed to have little interest in romance, and never discussed any specific romantic relationships in interviews. In the book The Strange Case of Edward Gorey, published after Gorey's death, his friend Alexander Theroux reported that when Gorey was pressed on the matter of his sexual orientation, he said that even he was not sure whether he was gay or straight. When asked what his sexual preferences were in an interview, he said,

"I'm neither one thing nor the other particularly. I am fortunate in that I am apparently reasonably undersexed or something...I've never said that I was gay and I've never said that I wasn't...what I'm trying to say is that I am a person before I am anything else...."

Edward Gorey agreed in an interview that the "sexlessness" of his novels were a product of his asexuality.

Paula Poundstone most likely.

Cate

This is from Paula Poundstone's memoirs:

"[after talking about Joan of Arc being celebrated for remaining a virgin] I am not, at this time, a virgin myself, but I don't like sex, so I abstain, which should certainly be at least a cousin to virgin, perhaps deserving something in an honorary title. Should I become a beloved hero in my time, my followers could refer to me as 'virginish.' ...The idea that I'd get to my bed and there'd be someone in there with whom I was supposed to have an activity is horrifying to me. It's a safe bet that I'm not good at sex, that I do it wrong. In fact, there's probably something horribly wrong with me, and if I went to a sex therapist several times a week to spend endless hours talking about it, took medications, watched educational films, and worked with plastic figurines, I could probably be miraculously cured, but I can't imagine a feeling, sexual or otherwise, that'd be so satisfying, so pleasurable, that it'd outweigh the appeal of sleep."

Oh my God! She was able to articulate exactly how I feel. I so wish I had that talent. I'd much rather sleep or read a book myself.

Violet_Loves_Iliona

I'm pretty sure Paula Poundstone is on the record as being Ace, as is NZ writer Kerri Hulme.

There are so many maybes for this list that it's not even funny. Considering that someone who has married and/or had children can be asexual, and someone who appears to have died a virgin could have still been sexual (or chosen not to have sex for some other reason)...you can't even start to draw conclusions without massive amounts of (auto/)biographical information. Paula Poundstone is more likely than Netwon or Tesla because we have her words on the subject.

I'm more of an Isaac Newton guy, myself. (I can forgive him for inventing calculus.) :P

I didn't read all of the posts yet.. so I'm sorry if this was already mentioned. I'll read them all eventually, just don't have the attention span right now.

Anyway, I think Kurt Vonnegut was asexual. I posted about this in another similar thread, but I will post it here too now.

There are a lot of reasons why I think he was at least kind of asexual, which I can't really explain because I'm no good at citing actual examples of things.. Most of the characters in his novels seem very asexual to me, too. Again, I would love to cite examples, but I am unable to remember anything specific. I haven't read all of his autobiographical stuff but I read all the forwards to all of his books, which basically seemed to be just whatever thoughts he happened to be having at the time. This is from the forward for one of the editions of his novel Slapstick. He was describing his feelings about love, about how it never seemed that important to him:

"I have had some expieriences with love, or I think I have, anyway, although the ones I have liked best could easily be described as 'common decency.' I treated somebody well for a little while, or maybe even for a tremendously long time, and that person treated me well in turn. Love need not have had anything to do with it.

Also: I cannot distinguish between the love I have for people, and the love I have for dogs."

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Skinner (of british band/artist The Streets) said he was asexual on Twitter a while ago.

I tried to change his wikipedia page but someone changed it back :(

(also Hi! I'm new here :) )

Mike Skinner (of british band/artist The Streets) said he was asexual on Twitter a while ago.

I tried to change his wikipedia page but someone changed it back :(

(also Hi! I'm new here :) )

Pfft, a-phobes <_<

Anyway, :cake:

Sorry if this has already been mentioned... I scrolled through and didn't see it but still....

I heard (rumors obviously) that Michael Jackson may have been asexual and all three of his children were artificially insemenated.

I have no idea if it is true, but somehow I have little trouble believing he may have been asexual.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned... I scrolled through and didn't see it but still....

I heard (rumors obviously) that Michael Jackson may have been asexual and all three of his children were artificially insemenated.

I have no idea if it is true, but somehow I have little trouble believing he may have been asexual.

There was a thread or two "discussing" this....I've also read that they weren't naturally conceived.

There's actually a new book with transcripts of tape recorded interviews where there are several very intresting statements he made. Nonetheless, it is known that some of those transcripts exist (since they have been released) but most of them haven't so you never can be sure if this is genuine or if the author just made it up for some reason or another.

Anyway, I give you some quotes:

MJ:They want to go clubbing and afterwards they want to sit around and drink hard liquor and do marijuana and all kinds of crazy things that I wouldn't do.

MJ:I needed someone. That's probably why I had, uh, the mannequins, I would say. Because I felt I needed people, someone, and I didn't have, I was too shy to be around real people.

MJ:I've been an ambassador of goodwill all over the world, spreading this message, did we do heal the world, treaty of all nations, circling this huge globe? What I don't understand is just singing about sex and "I want to get in a hot tub with you baby and rub you all over" and, but I get battered in the press as the weirdo.

MJ:She promised me that before we married, that would be the first thing we'd do is have children. So I was broken-hearted and I walked around all the time holding these little baby dolls and I'd be crying, that's how badly I wanted it, you know.

MJ:You know, at the time I was with Madonna, she was into books, all over, a whole collection--like a library of books of women who were tied to walls, different things. She said, "I love spanky books." Why would I want to see that?

-he considered dating his friend Elizabeth Taylor, but was worried the press would label them “The Odd Couple”.

MJ:I've never asked a girl out in my life, they have to ask me.

MJ:When I held Tatum's hand, I was, like, in heaven. It was the most magical thing. It was better than kissing her, it was better than anything.

MJ:I think sexy comes from the heart in the way you present yourself.

Do you get lonely? Or is there so much going on in your life that it does'nt really happen?

MJ:Like lonely for a wife? For like a mate? Like that?

SB: Yeah

MJ: I've been through two bad divorces. I just got out of the second one.. Even when married to those women that I was married to, I'd go to bed hurting. I was hurting. I was crying last night as I went to sleep and I did'nt sleep good last night and I cry Shmuley, because I feel this...and I'm not trying. I'm telling you the honest truth and if your don't believe me you can ask Frank. Frank knew how I was hurting. I just was feeling all the pain of the children who suffer and I was hurting so much. That's why I was trying to reach any child I knew who had pain from[Michael mention a lttle girl who was battling cancer and whose family he met at our home] to Gavin[Michael's later acuser]. I was trying to like calling, dialing and I woke up the first thing, the first person I called was the little girl's house and she had gone already. It hurts me. But I think that's where my real love comes from,Shmuley. If I can help in that way I'm fine and I don't need the other[romantic love].

MJ: I'm not easy to live with in that way for a wife. I not easy and I know I'm not easy.Because I give all my time to someone else. I give it to children. I give it to somebody sick somewhere, to the music.

What if you found a woman you was soft, who was incredibly soft?

MJ: Like a Mother Teresa or a Lady Diana or...That would be great. I would be perfect.

So of the women you've dated, the ones who were smart enough not to throw themselves at you, were they the ones that you were more interested in, the ones who were'nt always available and you had to chase them abit?

MJ: The ones who were classy and quiet and not into all the sex all the craziness because I am not into that.

They are the ones you are more interested in?

MJ: Aha. I don't understand a lot of things that go on in relationships and I don't know if I ever will. I think that is what has hurt me in my reltionships because I don't understand how people do some of the things they do.Mean things

MJ: Mean things and vulgar things with their bodies. I don't understand it and it has hurt my relationships.

So for you love is something very pure?

MJ: Very pure. It shocked me some of the things.

Have you ever found girls who like practical jokes that you like? Have you ever found a woman who collects comics?

MJ: It is a rarity. If I find one I will go nuts. Especially, if she has those qualities and is beautiful inside. It would be a home run for me. That's why guys hang out. Because they can do that.

In trying to preserve your childlike qualities in your life Michael, you have shied away form talking about overt sexuality. Like when Oprah asked yout about your sex life, you repsonded something to the effect, " that I'm a gentleman I don't talk about that." Do you feel that we should be more respectful of the sexual side of our lives? Has it all become to overt? I mean you're naturally shy about this.

MJ: Yeah, I'm just naturally, um cause I think that's...Private

MJ: Yeah, that's my personal opinion. Other people who are exhibitionist, you know naturists, who go out nude and they feel different about it. Um, I don't know, I'm different in that way.

We don't have to misuse our sexuality to increase ticket sales and record sales?

MJ: No, that's crazy, like some singers who put bulges in their pants, that's crazy. I don't understand that. That's like disgusting to me when they do stuff like that. That's embarrassing. I dont want nobody to even look at me down....like looking for that. That would just embarrass me so bad, oh God.

S Boteach: Have you ever found women who are a bit more modest to be more attractive for that reason?

MJ: Yeah. I don't like women who are always saying, "My nails need to be done. I have to do my toes. I need a manicure." I hate all that. I like it when girls are a little bit more tomboyish. IF they wrestle, climb a tree..... I love that. It is sexier to me. I like class, though. Class is everything.

Now, you can judge.....personally, I'm not sure whether it was just his upbringing or if it was him being kind of emotionally stuck at a certain age or if he indeed was asexual.....I don't know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Norm Macdonald was recently added to the wikipedia page on asexuality. there's a link but i haven't listened tpo the link fully

i like Norm. I count myself among the 5 people who liked his show "A minute with Stan Hooper"

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone mentioned Franz Kafka?

I've read he wrote that "Coitus as the punishment for the happiness of being together. Live as ascetically as possible, more ascetically than a bachelor, It's my only possibility to endure marriage but can she?" in his diaries.

Something like this.....intresting quote.

• 2 weeks later...
How 'bout Ralph Nader? Some people think he might be asexual? (If his name was mentioned previously, I didn't have time to read the whole thing... ) Anyone know any details about Ralphie? Or is he "Unsafe at Any Speed?"

(For those who are too young to remember, that was a book he wrote about the Corvair. It had an unpleasant habit of spinning out of control and flipping over.)

oh man i voted for Ralph Nader, he's the man, i remember a lady once asked if he had a family and he was like, "I'm married to GM"

I think alot of famous people that are extremely dedicated to their work tend to be asexual.

Zachary Quinto?

I read in a gossip blog (perez hilton) that he was a closet gay (could be wrong though).

• 4 weeks later...

anybody a Deerhunter/Atlas Sound fan? what about Bradford Cox? i've heard him say a few times that he's asexual; but i also know he seems to thrive on polarizing opinions of himself and creating controversy, doing new things and then moving on to newer things and disowning the old things.

personally, i really hope he is asexual. i think he's a brilliant musician, plus there's something kind of adorable about how flip he is.

• 1 month later...
PatrickOOOMazing

I haven't read through the entire thread here, but I hope we didn't overlook Godzilla. Confirmed as asexual, even though it doesn't sound like much fun to one bystander

Way to stick it to the man, Godzilla...... figuratively, of course

Robert Pattinson Maybe Asexual? I Don't Know If He Is Or Not ,But I Hope Not Because If He Is Then Asexuality Will Become Cool.

Robert Pattinson Maybe Asexual? I Don't Know If He Is Or Not ,But I Hope Not Because If He Is Then Asexuality Will Become Cool.

Hahaha, oh, I sincerely doubt it.

Sleeping Beauty

Zachary Quinto?

I read in a gossip blog (perez hilton) that he was a closet gay (could be wrong though).

I have a personal knowledge about how Perez Hilton gets his news and I don't think he is reliable. I must admit the possibility that this person is homo-asexual as well.

carried in bags
Is sex important to you? No, it's a very mucky, unpleasant business and I really couldn't care less if I never have sex again. That's my honest answer. I think it's so massively overrated – maybe that's just because I'm not very good at it, who knows? Obviously we have two wonderful sons, so it served its purpose, but I'd rather have a glass of wine and a good book. I'm a big fan of a kiss and a cuddle.

oh wow! I hope he is, he's cool.

I sometimes think Tarantino is asexual.

Sleeping Beauty
I sometimes think Tarantino is asexual.

I had the same impression several times.

What about Alfred Nobel, the founder of the Nobel Prize being asexual?

I was reading a short article clip on him in the mental_floss magazine. Here is a quote: "Nobel never maried. Too cerebral for his own good, he considered himself 'a worthless instrument of cognition, alone in the world and with thoughts heavier than anyone can imagine.' " So, he decided to leave his riches to those who 'conferred the greatest benefit on mankind,' instead."

What do you think? Ace or no?