Famous Asexuals

Sir Isaac Newton. He was so busy with his science experiments, that he just never thought of sex. Never had any relationships, or dated.

For anyone who thinks that Richey James Edwards was probably asexual (or at least seemed so):

NW:He was kind of capable of just a kind of pettiness towards any idea of marriage or love, or relationships.There's a deeper way, but there's also, he just couldn't fucking understand it, you know. It wasn't for him. Back in university, when me and him were together, he would relentlessly, when I got dumped by a girl, he would laugh and mercilessly take the piss out of me for weeks on end. In a funny way, but in a (laughs) kind of savage way as well.

Manics Interview

I haven't read through the entire thread here, but I hope we didn't overlook Godzilla. Confirmed as asexual, even though it doesn't sound like much fun to one bystander

Way to stick it to the man, Godzilla...... figuratively, of course

Do you mean Gojira?

What about Alfred Nobel, the founder of the Nobel Prize being asexual?

I was reading a short article clip on him in the mental_floss magazine. Here is a quote: "Nobel never maried. Too cerebral for his own good, he considered himself 'a worthless instrument of cognition, alone in the world and with thoughts heavier than anyone can imagine.' " So, he decided to leave his riches to those who 'conferred the greatest benefit on mankind,' instead."

What do you think? Ace or no?

That would be so cool! A Swedish asexual. :D (I'm Swedish...)

I haven't read through the entire thread here, but I hope we didn't overlook Godzilla. Confirmed as asexual, even though it doesn't sound like much fun to one bystander Way to stick it to the man, Godzilla...... figuratively, of course

Oh Godzilla! The Japanese, I'm sure, are quite glad for Godzilla's asexuality. I am too. We should make an AVEN t-shirt with Godzilla on it. He can represent asexuality! Fo' sho'.

Fish That Swims

Hi everyone,

just to pick up the thread. Was wondering if Captain Cook was asexual. Okay, he fathered a child each time when at home with his wife, but this might not mean much? I don't know. At least on all his Pacific Island travels he seemed to behave like an asexual. I guess one could argue he was faithful to his wife, but there are some rare journal entries, e.g. one where he talks about being presented with a beautiful young girl in Polynesia, and he actually fled by jumping out of the boat. Another journal entry talks about the relationships his crew had with women - showing no affection whatsoever. Can't remember exactly, but some of his crew found it a bit strange that Cook never had a relationship or even seemed interested in any of the women on the islands, even while they threw themselves at him.

Any ideas?

Kate Beaton may disagree:

The Death of James Cook

Yes, this maybe is just an excuse to post something from "Hark, A Vagrant!"

Probably already mentioned, but Morrissey is the first who comes to mind for me.

Possibly George Washington? Martha had had kids by a previous marriage, but none by George. It is well known that it was more a marriage of convenience than romance.

I sometimes think Tarantino is asexual.

I had the same impression several times.

An interview with Mira sorvino a few years ago in which she said that when she and Tarantino were together the had a very active sex life.

• 2 weeks later...

Nicholaus Copernicus. He died childless, unmarried and had had no relationships with women. He was dedicated to his work above all things.

vrazda verlaine

For anyone who thinks that Richey James Edwards was probably asexual (or at least seemed so):

NW:He was kind of capable of just a kind of pettiness towards any idea of marriage or love, or relationships.There's a deeper way, but there's also, he just couldn't fucking understand it, you know. It wasn't for him. Back in university, when me and him were together, he would relentlessly, when I got dumped by a girl, he would laugh and mercilessly take the piss out of me for weeks on end. In a funny way, but in a (laughs) kind of savage way as well.

Manics Interview

I kind of doubt Richey was actually asexual... I think he just really wished he was. It's kind of obvious that he was disgusted by human nature in general.

I wonder if there are any famous demisexuals. I imagine they are out there, but they would be difficult to pinpoint.

Henry David Thoreau. He was totally ambivalent towards women.

I'm guessing Bill Kaulitz either has or will be mentioned at some point in this thread? (excluding just now) He's not ace but he acts like it

• 7 months later...

I believe Lewis Carrol could have been asexual because it has been said that he never married or had mistresses or even seemed interested in sex

His "maiden-head" drew attention and many have wondered about his sexuality....

Morrissey...possibly...

In a video where people were discussing his celebacy he commented on how it's not really a choice and just the way things are...or something along those lines.

Celebacy = choice

asexuality = just the way things are

J.M. Barrie

His wife wasn't satisfied with their "abnormal" life together because he never engaged in sexual activity with her.

• 3 weeks later...
sinisterporpoise

This proves nothing except that Copernicus was a member of the Catholic church's clergy. Getting married and having sexual relationships with women or men is against the rules even today.

Born of Star Dust

Tim Gunn! He was actually quoted as saying that he is asexual. :) It's probably been said, but I was excited to find out...

• 6 months later...

Some gays claim Isaac Newton was gay; we claim he was ace. I think we'll never find out.

Maximilien Robespierre, French Revolutionary

I did a report on Robespierre when I was younger, and he was married, and eventually had 2 children. (though the paternity of ONE was suspect.)

Obviously I'm beating a dead horse, and I doubt that you'll reply (seeing that it's been 4 years), but how are you sure about this? I don't see how this could have been possible unless Robespierre had previously been married to someone else before he was engaged to Éléonore Duplay.

i just read Darkly Dreaming Dexter, and Dexter Morgan is ace. i know the majority of people mentioned are real and not characters, but still asexual is asexual :P

• 3 weeks later...

I think Michael Jackson had a child-like mindset stemming from childhood experienced, or lack their of. He didn't have a childhood, as such, and spend a large part of his adult life trying to make up for that. I don't think that makes him asexual - it seems to be a common stereotype that asexual is child-like, which in my experience is very much the opposite.

Blood Angel

I always thought Morrisey was just celibate, and was before the term asexual existed, right?

I read that he had sex when he was younger and didnt like it at all.

Most of The Smiths and his songs are about the longing for a romantic relationship, I guess without sex.

And I think Michael Jackson probably was asexual. It would make a lot of sense, him always being accused of being a pedo. I cant imagine sexuality was something he enjoyed.

Is Mike Skinner (The Streets) really asexual?

I like some of his music, so I was curious...

This is all I can find him saying on the matter:

I am asexual. you could think of me as the cliff richard of geezer urban beat poetry

Makes me wonder if he's kidding or not.

Is Mike Skinner (The Streets) really asexual?

I like some of his music, so I was curious...

This is all I can find him saying on the matter:

I am asexual. you could think of me as the cliff richard of geezer urban beat poetry

Makes me wonder if he's kidding or not.

I also think he was kidding.