Japanese teens disinterested in sex?

SFX

The survey and the article is not about asexuality really, but I've immediately thought of this forum when I've read it (I hope I'm posting it in the right section):

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/01/14/japanese-government-young-men-losing-interest-sex/

The most interesting part is this:

The latest biennial survey found that 36.1 percent of Japanese males between the ages of 16-19 said they had no interest or even despised sex, a jump from 17.5 percent in the 2008 study.

Compounding the issue was data that showed 59 percent of girls in the same age group felt the same way, up 12 percentage points from 2008.

A disinterest in sex is of course not what asexuality is about, and there may be lots of late bloomers in Japan, but I often see on this forum how oversexed society seems to be (especially for teens), so I thought a real life example of a converse trend might interest people on here.

Well, I fall in that group (even though I'm older now) and I'm half-Japanese. I'm not a really ethnic/cultural person though, so I'm not sure that really has anything to do with it in my case.

well, with all the fan service there is in anime/manga these days Id grow bored of it too

This topic has surprisingly come up in my Japanese classes a lot--someone actually just did their end-of-semester speech on the topic of these soushoku danshi ("herbivore men") on Monday (though I already forgot what they said...). Mostly it's been in the context of Japan's declining birthrate and how that'll likely cause economic problems in the future when there aren't enough young people to support all the old people.

That little part of me that secretly wants everyone else to be asexual, too, makes me root for those Japanese guys, though, and get annoyed when everyone always calls this trend a "problem." (Even though I'm sure they mean it in an economic sense, and I highly doubt that all (or even most) soushoku danshi are actually ace anyway.)

I knew I liked Japanese boys for a reason!

Me too lol :lol:

This topic isn't new lol it's been around for a while.

There's the herbivore men and carnivore women and I'va also heard their birthrate is pretty low.

Guest member25959

We really need to keep in mind here, that not showing an interest in sex does not necessarily equal asexuality. And neither does being despised by sex.

Still, that percentage is surprisingly high.

We really need to keep in mind here, that not showing an interest in sex does not necessarily equal asexuality. And neither does being despised by sex.

Yeah, not necessarily equal, but in my case they kinda go hand-in-hand. When you have no interest in an activity at all, it's pretty easy to also not have any particular urges to participate in the activity with another person >_>

Did they have any explanation for the incredible jumps from the 2008 statistic? I suspect there's a problem with their sample.