Asexuality on the BBC(3)!

Guest member31022

great interview and coverage of asexuality, well done! The show was interesting, I did think you had less time than the other people? Oh well still excellent and honest. Be proud.

Guest member31022

I had less footage than everyone else - we tried to organise a second meeting but one of the producers had a family thing and then I had term, so we only had one section. I think that's probably why it was shorter.

Also, I spoke to someone this morning and apparently there's an article going up on BBC News tomorrow about it, using quotes from when I was filmed, so I'll link to that too :)

Yup I second that Beyondweird and your fella were great! The rest of the programme featuring sexuals had me feeling somewhat queasy! :wacko: What was useful is to clarify that the love connection (Oxytocin ) is induced through cuddles, hugs and kisses. Oxytocin is the same thing a woman has with a new born child and is the most powerful bonding there is. So we asexual are perhaps Oxytocin addicted where as sexuals are addicted to Dopamine release through orgasm. So there is a neurological basis for the differences. Astounding!

I thought the interview with beyondweird was great :) much more intelligently and sensitively done than a lot of media treatment of asexuality. I'm a bit miffed that I did a 3 hour interview with them about asexuality research and they didn't include any of it though...

I just checked online and for anyone else who missed it the show is on at 12:30AM. So in an hour before going on iplayer.

Just a small thing that irks me is the description online as you're described as 'a young woman claiming to be asexual' whereas the reference to bisexuality is just 'a bisexual man'. It's small, but it's annoying.

Watched the whole thing... learn't quite abit about gay sex.

...and female orgasms ;____;

But it was nice to see asexuality being represented :D

especially by such a... colourful character... pun intended, i accept online payment. :ph34r:

TurquoisePurple

Oh wow, I just saw the segment and thought I wonder if she is on AVEN, well this thread wasn't hard to find. :P

Just finished watching the repeat of the show - well kinda, a lot of me not looking at the screen feeling awkward aha.

Been reading this site every so often since joining, but this is finally my first post. :)

Someone please put this one youtube! This Canadian needs to see it! ;_;

Guess who found an available version for the rest of the world.... http://www.watchseriesonlinehere.com/how-sex-works-1x02-sexual-adventures/

Sure there are a freaking ton or random pop ups. But it is a legit link. The video is of a streaming videobb.

Also the asexual feature turns up at around 17:30, for those who just want to cut to the chase.

I was left wondering if aromantics have reduced oxytocin or receptors. I don't particularly like hugs myself and am aromantic, so I wonder if that could be attributed to a reduction in oxytocin or oxytocin receptors. It'd be interesting to examine more closely. Pity I do psychology and not biology...

Anyway, well done! I seem to be under a rock - I only realised this was on yesterday when I was checking bbc and spotted the article. Should raise some awareness, which is great!

I was left wondering if aromantics have reduced oxytocin or receptors. I don't particularly like hugs myself and am aromantic, so I wonder if that could be attributed to a reduction in oxytocin or oxytocin receptors. It'd be interesting to examine more closely. Pity I do psychology and not biology...

Anyway, well done! I seem to be under a rock - I only realised this was on yesterday when I was checking bbc and spotted the article. Should raise some awareness, which is great!

Senwyn1 I am wondering as a non-tactile aromantic how do you develop trust and love with a partner? If they bought you something or cooked a meal would that perhaps spark an oxytocin release in you?

Also, here's the article that goes with it (it's basically the quotes from the program). There's the occasional sentence I'm not keen on ('if' people are asexual for instance) but it seems pretty alright by me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16552173

Woweeee!! That's great. The article is currently 3rd under "Most Popular" and I saw it as high as 2nd at one point!!

Oh and welcome to AVEN, scratch. :cake:

Senwyn1 I am wondering as a non-tactile aromantic how do you develop trust and love with a partner? If they bought you something or cooked a meal would that perhaps spark an oxytocin release in you?

I don't? I'm aromantic, so I don't experience romantic attraction towards another person and therefore don't need to develop trust or love beyond friendship. I don't experience crushes or romantic love at all - just platonic friendship. I have no idea if being bought things or being cooked for sparks oxytocin release in my brain, but I am touched when my friends spontaneously do something for me (normally around my birthday). I spontaneously hugged my mother and sister for making me a vegan Christmas cake in secret. I wasn't expecting it and I did get an urge to give them a hug, so that could be an oxytocin release? Anecdotal evidence isn't really very good though, so you'd need to test it in a group of aromantics.

I just finished it! That was fantastic! You and your boyfriend are adorable together, Jenni! Definitely squee worthy :D

I think that this is excellent for the asexual community. As far as the media is concerned, I don't think that they could have done a much better job.

And hey, Scratch is living proof of this.

Welcome to AVEN, by the way!

I saw the article on BBC News and just about scared everyone at work (it was quiet...sorry guys).

This is amazingly awesome. You're my hero beyondweird.

I don't? I'm aromantic, so I don't experience romantic attraction towards another person and therefore don't need to develop trust or love beyond friendship. I don't experience crushes or romantic love at all - just platonic friendship. I have no idea if being bought things or being cooked for sparks oxytocin release in my brain, but I am touched when my friends spontaneously do something for me (normally around my birthday). I spontaneously hugged my mother and sister for making me a vegan Christmas cake in secret. I wasn't expecting it and I did get an urge to give them a hug, so that could be an oxytocin release? Anecdotal evidence isn't really very good though, so you'd need to test it in a group of aromantics.

Okay I understand now. Well the oxytocin is definitely present in hugs with family members. For the first few years of our lives both mother and child's brains are soaked in oxytocin. So it is an empathetic connection through platonic friendships that you derive support and emotional sustenance from? Is it therefore easy to live alone as long as you have some connection with a friend eg. go for a coffee?

Great, job with the article. (I hope to watch the episode some time soon). I am only out as being asexual to one person, but just seeing the article and the awareness about being asexual that it beings is motivating me to do more. It really makes me see why being out and talking about it is a great thing.

Okay I understand now. Well the oxytocin is definitely present in hugs with family members. For the first few years of our lives both mother and child's brains are soaked in oxytocin. So it is an empathetic connection through platonic friendships that you derive support and emotional sustenance from? Is it therefore easy to live alone as long as you have some connection with a friend eg. go for a coffee?

To be honest, things like friendship quality and how I speak to others are attributable more to my personality than my being an aromantic asexual. I'm quite introverted, so I don't tend to spend a lot of time with other people, but I do enjoy conversations with a couple of close friends on a regular basis and we talk about everything under the sun. I find being alone relatively ok, but that's just my personality.

I just finished it! That was fantastic! You and your boyfriend are adorable together, Jenni! Definitely squee worthy :D

I think that this is excellent for the asexual community. As far as the media is concerned, I don't think that they could have done a much better job.

And hey, Scratch is living proof of this.

Welcome to AVEN, by the way!

To be honest, things like friendship quality and how I speak to others are attributable more to my personality than my being an aromantic asexual. I'm quite introverted, so I don't tend to spend a lot of time with other people, but I do enjoy conversations with a couple of close friends on a regular basis and we talk about everything under the sun. I find being alone relatively ok, but that's just my personality.

How would you feel if one of your close friends said I have arranged a big party and wants you to come but at least half the people there you have never met before?

Do you enjoy the company of animals? Have a pet?

A friend just linked me the article and I thought "wow, let's post this on AVEN!" but I came here and found out that it was old news for you folks.

What to say, it's one of the best ace-related articles I've ever read! Congratulations to you!

I read the article but didn't see the interview unfortunately (Canadian, hence why). Very positive, and it poses interesting questions about the effect of visibility of asexuality might have on society.

Carpet Monster

Ah wow. You have rainbow hair.

I've just put it on now, after finding the article on the Beeb. I'm sure you'll do us proud galfriend

You haven't come out to your mum yet... :ph34r:

That article is awesome, except for the aromantic/romantic thing, in my opinion.

I realize it can be hard to define "romantic", but saying (many) aromantics don't want to be touched because of their orientation and that being a romantic asexual - as opposed to an aromantic one - means "they will look at someone and they won't respond sexually to them, but they might want to get closer to them, to find out more about them, to share things with them" is sort of fail.

My romantic orientation does not render me incapable of taking a keen interest in other human beings, thank you very much, otherwise cool-seeming sociologist person. Also, I wonder how many aromantics don't want to be touched at all. There's nothing wrong with not being into physical contact, of course, but I'm feeling sort of erased here, especially since he's making it sound like romantic asexuals are capable of forming social bonds while aromantics aren't. That really rubs me the wrong way.

But yeah, very much liked the rest of the article. :cake:

Purple_Monkey

Rarely pop over to AVEN, but someone linked to the BBC article on Facebook - awesome job raising awareness, great to see an article on asexuality as being on of the most read! Will watch the programme now...

I had a watch of the documentary and it makes me pretty happy to see that someone in the beeb decided asexuality should be in it. Kudos of course to Beyondweird for going on tv and talking about it, i'm not sure i would have the courage to do that :).