A job at Twin Peaks

Mr. Shuttershy

Mr. Shuttershy

So, its no secret that I love breasts. They are very asetheticslly pleasing to me. Well, I want to work at this restaruant called Twin Peaks, because they uniforms are reeeally adorable and breast-flattering, and the money is supposed to be good. Its basically a Hooters, if you don't want to google it. However, my mom says I'm going to get unwanted male attention. My question is, has anyone here had any experience st these type of restaraunts? I don't mind them looking, but, do the men -and women?- get really rude. Like, are they confrontationally flirtacious generally?

I thought this was going to be a thread about the show. I'm sad now. :(

Mr. Shuttershy

I thought this was going to be a thread about the show. I'm sad now. :(

I apologize. What show do you mean?

The Great WTF

A sad fact of life is that if you have breasts, at some point or another you are going to get unwanted male attention. That tendency doubles when you mix men and alcohol. Rude customers are also a fact of life, alcohol or no. Will there be more customers that err towards that at a place like Twin Peaks? Most likely. I highly doubt it's as bad as many people make it out to be, though.

There's a Hooters near my apartment that my friends and I frequent because one's sister works there. I hear a lot of stories, but very rarely do I hear of ones that are outright vile and rude. Usually when there ARE customers like that, management or even other patrons throw them out fairly quickly. For every rude man you come across, you find another one willing to stand up for a woman. So, if you think this is something you would enjoy, then I say go for it, but know that you WILL occasionally have customers that get too friendly or make lewd comments. If they make you uncomfortable, know what you can do to make it stop happening. Most places like that have standard policies in place for such customers are will do their best to protect their employees.

Mr. Shuttershy

A sad fact of life is that if you have breasts, at some point or another you are going to get unwanted male attention. That tendency doubles when you mix men and alcohol. Rude customers are also a fact of life, alcohol or no. Will there be more customers that err towards that at a place like Twin Peaks? Most likely. I highly doubt it's as bad as many people make it out to be, though.

There's a Hooters near my apartment that my friends and I frequent because one's sister works there. I hear a lot of stories, but very rarely do I hear of ones that are outright vile and rude. Usually when there ARE customers like that, management or even other patrons throw them out fairly quickly. For every rude man you come across, you find another one willing to stand up for a woman. So, if you think this is something you would enjoy, then I say go for it, but know that you WILL occasionally have customers that get too friendly or make lewd comments. If they make you uncomfortable, know what you can do to make it stop happening. Most places like that have standard policies in place for such customers are will do their best to protect their employees.

I've never minded attention, so long as I felt certain I was safe from forcee sexual advances. My main concern was just that the men would get touchy or aggressive, but as you said management deals with them.

One other concern, my friend is now saying I'm compromising morals to work there. As a customer to Hooters, do you feel the women are compromising morals? For me, I generally find sexy to be innocent; I like sexy, its just not sexual for me. However, I do see how this job could be uhm.. less than classy. What's your take?

I haven't ever visited Hooters or similar quasi-erotic dining establishments so I can't comment on the customer conduct but I don't hold people who choose to work in erotic entertainment in general in any sort of low esteem. I generally don't think the management would be permissive of customers physically harassing workers.

But watch out for bait-and-switch performance-based incentives: http://puns.icanhascheezburger.com/2010/08/28/funny-pun-photos-drink-beer-until-he-is-a-car/

The Great WTF

I've never minded attention, so long as I felt certain I was safe from forcee sexual advances. My main concern was just that the men would get touchy or aggressive, but as you said management deals with them.

One other concern, my friend is now saying I'm compromising morals to work there. As a customer to Hooters, do you feel the women are compromising morals? For me, I generally find sexy to be innocent; I like sexy, its just not sexual for me. However, I do see how this job could be uhm.. less than classy. What's your take?

The only morals you need to be worried about sacrificing are your own. If you have no problem with it, then that's all that should matter.

Considering I WANT to get a job bartending at a strip club (great tips and interesting people) I'm probably not the best one to ask that. I have no qualms about acting or dressing sexy for work, personally. It's an age-old tactic both genders use to get better tips and impress customers. It's a way to make money and it's not hurting anyone, so I have no moral issues with it.

There's a show called Twin Peaks, by David Lynch. :)

As for working at Hooters/ Twin Peaks... did your friend elaborate on what morality you'd be infringing on? I've been to Hooters a few times and I don't see what the big fuss is either way. It's a gimmicky restaurant that doesn't seem to me any more objectionable than going to a Hard Rock Cafe or Planet Hollywood... its pure kitsch. My understanding is that rude and offensive clientele is quickly taken care of by coworkers, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem. Restaurant staff tend to stick together, right? I used to waitress at a deli, and our cooks were quick to have our back if a guy was being a dick.

I'm sure at a place like Twin Peaks there'd be added security measures.

Mr. Shuttershy

The only morals you need to be worried about sacrificing are your own. If you have no problem with it, then that's all that should matter.

Considering I WANT to get a job bartending at a strip club (great tips and interesting people) I'm probably not the best one to ask that. I have no qualms about acting or dressing sexy for work, personally. It's an age-old tactic both genders use to get better tips and impress customers. It's a way to make money and it's not hurting anyone, so I have no moral issues with it.

Of course, this girl also posted a passive-aggressive facebook status that didn't name me, but was obviously me after she posted on my status about working there, so... Its hard to take her advice to be from a mature mind. She's also said I needed s bsckbone, but complained to my other friend when she gave me advice I didn't follow. -I have a spine, I just give my friends leniency-

' I think it is dehumanizing and objectifying. You think it is self esteem boosting and confidence building. Ive gone through only being viewed for my body and it ruins you later. I just don't want her be broken by an industry that cares about nothing but her outside. She is a beautiful person and stuff like this can destroy people. Ive seen it so many times.'

For me, its no different than a waitress job anywhere else; the outfits just smaller, ergo the men are a bit more peverted. However, I'm not taking this job to build confidence; its becaus I'm already pretty confident in being me, ad that some part-time job won't change me. I don't feel the job is dehumanizing, and there's no morals to compromise. I may be ace, but a girl still likes to let her hair down and be sexy.

Sorry, kinda ranted. I'm just really upset that my friend would try and make me feel bad about wanting the job. But I'm going to stick by my guns and make choices for myself, because they don't know what its like to be me.

Thanks fr your response and support.

Mr. Shuttershy

There's a show called Twin Peaks, by David Lynch. :)

As for working at Hooters/ Twin Peaks... did your friend elaborate on what morality you'd be infringing on? I've been to Hooters a few times and I don't see what the big fuss is either way. It's a gimmicky restaurant that doesn't seem to me any more objectionable than going to a Hard Rock Cafe or Planet Hollywood... its pure kitsch. My understanding is that rude and offensive clientele is quickly taken care of by coworkers, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem. Restaurant staff tend to stick together, right? I used to waitress at a deli, and our cooks were quick to have our back if a guy was being a dick.

I'm sure at a place like Twin Peaks there'd be added security measures.

Oh ok!

She just treated it like a strip joint. To be honest, what's immoral to some isn't to all -a person in college, especially a psy. Major, should know this.- and as an ace without sexual trauma, the sexual comments don' really offend. I don't feel violated, because.. its hard to explain. So basically, she's trying to speak for me and my values. Though she's never been to the place, or held a job there. I see what you mean about security. I guess so long as that's there, I'd be comfortable. If not? Well, I experienced it, didn't like it, and I'll move on.

My friend was a Hooters girl, and she seemed to really enjoy it. The only negative experiences she had were from drunken frat boys who kept demanding refills, were obnoxious, and didn't leave much of a tip. She has gotten hit on before (once by an NBA star :blink: ), but nothing atypical from what you experience at a bar or a club.

I don't know how Twin Peaks works, but I know in Hooters, there's no touching while at Bone Daddy's, one will sit in the birthday boy's lap (not sure if this is standard or just happened to be the case for the one my brother went to).

The Great WTF

I've had friends like that. They usually don't last long. Maybe because I come from a brothel town and now live in city full of strip clubs, I don't see how a job like Hooters or Twin Peaks can be dehumanizing. Some of the most wonderful people I knew growing up were strippers and prostitutes. They did nothing to make me think they had somehow been "ruined" by their job and most were proud that they had made enough money to give their families comfortable lives.

Good luck. I think you'll enjoy your job and if your friend has any sense they'll respect you for choosing to stick to your guns instead of yelling at you for wanting to try something different.

Mr. Shuttershy

My friend was a Hooters girl, and she seemed to really enjoy it. The only negative experiences she had were from drunken frat boys who kept demanding refills, were obnoxious, and didn't leave much of a tip. She has gotten hit on before (once by an NBA star :blink: ), but nothing atypical from what you experience at a bar or a club.

I don't know how Twin Peaks works, but I know in Hooters, there's no touching while at Bone Daddy's, one will sit in the birthday boy's lap (not sure if this is standard or just happened to be the case for the one my brother went to).

Yeah, I've noticed too many negative comments from girls who've /never actually worked there/. If you're pretty and big-chested, you could get hit on anywhere. And you know, gonna be honest, I've never gotten any attention from the opposite sex. While I'm still in the mindset that only my opinion and a close friend's /truly/ matters, its nice to feel sexy. I know not every girl likes it; some feel it objectifies them. I just think that it means they appreciate. If they knew my personality and treated me that way, yeah, I'd be affronted, but we're all only able to judge someone on looks before we meet them. Me saying a guy is a pervert without really knowing him is just as dehumanizing as them thinking I'm hot. It could be my aceness that I can detatch sexual behavior from the person, but so long as they don,t touch, they're welcome to their opinions of me.

In fact, I know want to work there to prove the humanity in

-most- of those men.

T

.. tangent. Again. OTL

Mr. Shuttershy

I've had friends like that. They usually don't last long. Maybe because I come from a brothel town and now live in city full of strip clubs, I don't see how a job like Hooters or Twin Peaks can be dehumanizing. Some of the most wonderful people I knew growing up were strippers and prostitutes. They did nothing to make me think they had somehow been "ruined" by their job and most were proud that they had made enough money to give their families comfortable lives.

Good luck. I think you'll enjoy your job and if your friend has any sense they'll respect you for choosing to stick to your guns instead of yelling at you for wanting to try something different.

In their effort to 'save me' from 'dehumanization' they've dehumanized the fact that I'd be more than my job. While I would not pursue a stripping or prostitute job, people aren't their jobs. What dehumanizes them is these people talking about how 'moral-less' their jobs are. So, if a friend chose one if those careers, I wouldn't understand, but they'd still be great people.

Thank you! Here's to hoping I get it :cake:

I thought this topic was relating to WoW :(

Anyway, it's OK as long as you feel comfortable.

Flaunt whatever you want, but also consider the possibilities.

Will your happiness outratio your caution and fear?

• 2 weeks later...
Nomad in Stasis

I have no idea what everyone else posted, mostly because I do not feel like reading it, but my cousin had a job at a Twin peaks in dallas, and she said that although the pay was good, especially tips, and most of the customers were sweet, she hated some of the guys that went there. She thought that there were quite a few pervs and so she quite after about 5 months or so.I think that it just depends on how much stamina you have in terms of guys turning looks at you.

Archived