A New Asexual Character on TV

Violet_Loves_Iliona

Violet_Loves_Iliona

Hello all,

I'm feeling rather excited and feel the urge to let everyone know about an asexual character I've just come across while watching a television show I recently bought on DVD on impulse. The show is called "Huge" [en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huge_TV_series) ]. In any case, it's not the main character in the show, and after watching the first six episodes, she's only mentioned her asexuality the once in the fifth episode so far, but I was well chuffed to see an Ace character talking so openly about her asexuality in a random tv show! :) ... and though I'm not obese myself, I've become addicted to this show, and I'm trying very hard to ration the ten episodes out as much as I can. ;)

The asexual character is Poppy, one of the adult camp counsellors at the teen fat camp in which the series is set (the Wikipedia article describes her as "Zoe Jarman as Poppy - the girls' ever-cheerful, fairy-like counselor. She is often very supportive and protective of both the girls she watches over and the rest of the campers as well. She is asexual").

In any case, here is the asexual conversation for those who don't feel like watching the series (though I do recommend it). To set the scene, it is movie night, and everyone is outside watching the projection of an angsty, "Twilight"-like film about a girl who falls in love with a ghost:

George: There is so much angst going on here

Poppy: You mean in the movie, or... here?

George: Both, I guess.

Poppy: I can't imgine being like that... so intensely passionate about another person.

George: You mean, like being in love?

Poppy: Like... anything. I... basically, I identify as asexual.

George (thrown temporarily): Wh-wha-wait, what?

Poppy: (nods up & down) It's just how I am. I kept... always kept waiting to feel the feelings that everyone else talked about, but I just never got there.

George: Oh...

Poppy: In a way, I feel grateful that I don't have to feel like that... (then they notice one of the girls is missing, so George ends the discussion to go and look for her.

Gho St Ory Qwan

That's so awesome. I might have to try to watch it! ^_^

Neat. It kind of sounds like they clumped asexual & aromantic to mean the same thing though.

Gho St Ory Qwan

Neat. It kind of sounds like they clumped asexual & aromantic to mean the same thing though.

I don't think it's a big deal at this point. If they just get the word out a bit people will hopefully research a bit more. ^_^

If they did the romantic asexual route, it'd easily turn into the shy, inexperienced/undesirable/unconfident person.

I think it's cool that they also didn't make a big deal about it. Kind of like to say it's really not that weird or new. ^_^

Nice to see an character that actually comes right out and says that they're asexual, rather than people just speculating... XD

Are there any other characters on tv that are asexual? I don't watch much tv, and I can only think of one. *DORK ALERT* Data from star Trek TNG, though he says he feels no sexual desire, he's an android. I don't think he counts. And Spock is demi I guess. Those are the only ones that come to mind. :mellow:

And those shows aren't even on anymore. Unless you count syndication.

EDIT: Openly asexual, not speculatively asexual, like Sheldon Cooper.

Sigh... I suppose the writers will have her "fall in love" with "the right person" and discover she longs for sex, after all... otherwise, people won't be as interested in the character.

You can watch Huge on Hulu (possibly only in the US).

Be forewarned: That single conversation is the only time asexuality is mentioned on the show! If the show had gone on longer, it might have been developed more, but it has been cancelled after ten episodes. In any case, it is a decent drama, the kind that tries to have complex and realistic characters.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got this and look forward to watching it, it sounds and looks like a good show.