(A)sexual movie

cdrdash

Hi older asexuals,

Has anyone else seen the movie (A)sexual? I got myself to UC Davis to see a screening of it (for Asexual Awareness Week) last Tuesday. I was surprised to see that I'm in the movie talking. I don't know why it surprised me since I signed a release form in 2009 when they were in SF filming parts of it saying they could use footage of me. I just never imagined that I would have a talking part. I thought I would just be part of a mass of people at the party. I think I did a decent job of being articulate and not saying anything stupid :unsure: They also filmed me in the SF pride parade exclaiming how excited I was that my brother was in the crowd! I forgot how much that meant to me at the time. It shows on my face and in my tone of voice.

I'm going to go see the movie again next Thursday at another screening at Stanford University. I was so freaked out to be seeing myself in the movie that I didn't really drink in the whole movie!

Cathy

That sounds really interesting! Is there somewhere I can see the movie? Maybe on the internet, I'm a bit poor to afford going to movies right now :( Also, I don't know where it would be screning in Vancouver, Canada, I genuinely haven't seen anything to even acknowledge an asexual awareness week, this is the first I heard of it. Is it only in the states, or international?

That sounds really interesting! Is there somewhere I can see the movie? Maybe on the internet, I'm a bit poor to afford going to movies right now :( Also, I don't know where it would be screning in Vancouver, Canada, I genuinely haven't seen anything to even acknowledge an asexual awareness week, this is the first I heard of it. Is it only in the states, or international?

Asexual Awareness week is international. See the link http://www.asexualawarenessweek.com/ for more information. The events page has a calendar of where the screenings are located. I think the locations were pretty much determined by where there was someone who was willing to organize a screening (find a venue and be the contact person etc.). There are only three screenings left at this point: Saturday night in Berkeley California, next Thursday at Stanford, California and also next Thursday in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

I do not know when the movie will be shown in movie theatres again. Its opening was at the Frameline Gay and Lesbian film festival in San Francisco this past June. The web page for the film is at http://www.bigmouthfilms.org/currentfilms/asexual but it does not list when or where the film will be showing. I'm hoping that eventually the movie will be on sale so I can purchase a copy.

Cathy

How much does it cost to watch the documentary? I'd love to see it and I could very well make it to Berkeley tomorrow.

You should stay tuned about Vancouver.

Incidentally we have (hopefully) a load of UK screenings coming up. We had our first on Wednesday at Kent.

Incidentally we have (hopefully) a load of UK screenings coming up. We had our first on Wednesday at Kent.

That sounds good... but will probebly not travel much further North than London... so far out of the way... :-)

How much does it cost to watch the documentary? I'd love to see it and I could very well make it to Berkeley tomorrow.

It's free!!

:D :D

Well, keep me up to date about if anything comes to Vancouver, I'd be interested, but I just don't have any way of making it even to Seattle none the less anywhere furthur than that :(

Also keep me posted if any other forms of it come out eg dvd or online.

Well, keep me up to date about if anything comes to Vancouver, I'd be interested, but I just don't have any way of making it even to Seattle none the less anywhere furthur than that :(

OK I'll PM the person who is hoping to do a Vancouver screening and they may be able to give you an update sometime.

I'm also interested in keeping updated about a Vancouver screening.

OK I'll PM the person who is hoping to do a Vancouver screening and they may be able to give you an update sometime.

Thank you so much!

See you there Vampyremage :)

Speaking of which, perhaps you could get the person responsible for the Vancouver screening to start a thread in the meet up forum or something? I feel like there are probably others that would be interested too.

Thank you so much!

See you there Vampyremage :)

Speaking of which, perhaps you could get the person responsible for the Vancouver screening to start a thread in the meet up forum or something? I feel like there are probably others that would be interested too.

Excellent idea. I know there are quite a few of us in Vancouver that are most likely to be interested in such a thing.

Missundaztood

;) They had a screening of it here a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see it because it was too far from where I lived and I had no way of getting there.

I saw this last thursday at Bryn Mawr college in PA. I thought it was a good representation of asexuality and they made it somewhat entertaining for a documentary. It wasn't too long(72 minutes) I also got to meet a couple other aces which is always a plus.

Thank you so much!

Still have not heard back; sorry. Did you hear anything more about the possibility of a Vancouver screening from anyone else?

Thank you so much!

Still have not heard back; sorry. Did you hear anything more about the possibility of a Vancouver screening from anyone else?

I haven't heard anything about this outside of this thread to be honest, I wouldn't even know where to start :unsure:

I saw this last thursday at Bryn Mawr college in PA. I thought it was a good representation of asexuality and they made it somewhat entertaining for a documentary. It wasn't too long(72 minutes) I also got to meet a couple other aces which is always a plus.

How many people showed up for the Bryn Mawr screening? We only had about 8 of us at UC Davis. I'll see tonight how many show up at Stanford. Getting excited to see it again but need to keep my mind on work till my meeting is over at 5 p.m. and I can head off to Stanford.

Cathy

Hi Cathy,

I saw this film just a few hours ago. I thought that was you in it!

I'm still processing everything in my mind. As someone who has been around AVEN since early 2004, I had a direct connection to many of the clips shown. So part scientific timeline, part emotional rollercoaster, but definitely an overall positive experience!

~Carsonspire

I saw it when it came to Seattle and, overall, I enjoyed it and thought that it was a good effort.

Keith is in the process of writing a review of it, but - be warned - it is not going to be entirely positive. (He writes from the perspective of an educated film critic as well as an asexual.)

He told me that he will post it on Apositive when he is satisfied with the wording.

-gb

• 2 weeks later...

Do you happen to know anything more about UK screenings? I'd really like to see this documentary :)

Archived