Are you extroverted or introverted?

KAGU143

Are you extroverted or introverted?  

1. 1.

• introverted
    • extroverted

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm a very LOUD person but prefer to be alone, I guess because most people aren't all that accepting of people who are gregarious. Chatterboxes aren't liked 'out there' I have found and have often been told to be quiet. So, I live alone and that way I can be myself fully.

I'm an extroverted introvert.

I practically do fall right in the middle of the two, except I'm not loud and obnoxious. At least not until you get to know me a little better. :wink:

I'm an extroverted introvert.

I practically do fall right in the middle of the two, except I'm not loud and obnoxious. At least not until you get to know me a little better. :wink:

HEhe, I feel like I am an introverted extrovert! I have tons of expressive energy, it's just that it is all going on inside. It comes out in my writing, and creative ideas with fellow creative spirits.

kencollapse

this is all really fascinating for me.

i've felt more wonderful than I have in ages since I found this site.

except the only teency way i feel a little bit out of place here is that i'm one of the very few extroverts here. :?

I play bass in a bash 'em out rock band, play wicked fun parties, chat it up with the locals. I just like making sure my fellow humans have fun, I guess. With out sacrificing myself to them, that is. :)

Miss_Moneypenny

I chose "introverted" as I have a rich and fulfilling inner mental life, and being too social gets in the way of that.

People seem to think that being introverted is a distinct handicap in life. Just think back to any job advert page you last saw. How many adverts ask for applicants to be "chatty", "bubbly", "outgoing" or any one of a whole host of similar adjectives?

I would beg to disagree. I would consider that I am very introverted, but it doesn't stop me from working in a teaching role, being a performing musician as a hobby and from being selected by my political party as a candidate.

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny repeating introvert lots of times in your head.

introvert introvert introvert introvert introvert introvert

....ok, I'll shut up now.

• 3 weeks later...

I am an introvert. Even if I am in a crowd, I have the ability to make the crowd disappear from my head :wink:

Wow 90% are intoverts. Is there a relationship between asexuality and being introvert...Hmm. Being asexual makes a person an introvert, or being an introvert makes a person a-sexual?...My head hurts.

:mrgreen:

Frigid Pink

I'm extremely outgoing---which has been interpreted as flirty by the opposite sex.

"To behave in a playful sexual manner" is a definition I came across. I'm very talkative, off-the-wall at times, and I do talk to strangers, but it is not in a sexual manner.

I was once told by a friend of mine who was in a psychology class at the time, that males have a lower threshold for perceiving warm, friendly responses as sexual come-ons than do females. I'm not targeting males here, I'm just relating to my situation. I am female and those who accused me of flirting were male.

However, I have been told by a few females that I am flirty, however in response to my question "How so?" their reply is "You're so outgoing" or something of the likes.

I am an introvert. Even if I am in a crowd, I have the ability to make the crowd disappear from my head :wink:

Wow 90% are intoverts. Is there a relationship between asexuality and being introvert...Hmm. Being asexual makes a person an introvert, or being an introvert makes a person a-sexual?...My head hirts.

My guess is that there is a correlation between who frequents message boards most often and who is introverted. But maybe introverts tend to avoid the peer pressures of sex, and going by the arousal theory, introverts are so overaroused they want to avoid stimulation, and have no desire for it as other things are already busy at work stimulating their minds. While extroverts are more likely to seek out sexual stimulation to get rid of the boredom. Like, I can think about sex, but I don't feel the need to be physically aroused with these thoughts because my other thoughts are so predominant and my brain is busy enough that my body couldn't care less about stimulation. But some of my friends are so bored all the time, and can't often sit down and keep to themselves about these sort of thoughts...they just take a more active role in these sort of thoughts to keep them aroused.

...if that makes any sense at all....

Frigid Pink

WoW---I'm the minority once again...not too surprising, but I thought there might have been more extroverts....

• 3 weeks later...

Yow! With my vote, the percentage of introverts is 91%!

When I came across this poll, I immediately understood why I feel so at home on this site even though I'm not "asexual" in that I have a fairly average sex drive. But I am an introvert, a rather extreme one. In the population at large, I believe, about 75% of people are extroverts. No wonder I usually feel so out of place and suddenly feel so much at home!

I agree with cait that a correlation between introversion and asexuality makes a lot of sense. In my case, for example (I know that for many people, this isn't true), my asexual tendencies are completely explicable in terms of my introversion. It's not that hormonally I'm not interested in sex, but I find sex not worth the social stress.

I also find (here's my introversion snobbery) that introverts tend to be more reflective than extroverts -- on average. And the moment I came to these forums, I saw that reflectiveness and thoughtfulness to a much higher degree than I typically see in online forums. It's so nice!

Acting, acting, acting. All the world's a stage... The only way I can function in any social situation is having a character to play. Whenever I'm dumped into an unexpected and unfamiliar scene I go all to pieces, retreat, and shake a lot. I can improv with unexpected or unfamiliar, but not both.

SpockJr wrote:

The vast majority of us are INTP or INTJ

That is truly strange since INTXs are estimated to comprise only around 2% of the population. Count me in with the former.

I'm an introvert, although I think I fit in with Cait's description of the introverted extrovert. In my writing and suchlike I express myself as very loud and rambling, which is a lot of the time how I act around my friends.

Lately I've been trying to get a little more extroverted. I'm being a little more assertive in my opinions, not changing them so much just because someone else thinks otherwise. Also I've been considering doing some crazy attention-grabbing thing, like coming to school with hair cut short and chest bound (sadly, this is still in the works). But I still don't feel comfortable striking up conversations with people I don't know, and speaking in front of people makes me a little nervous unless I'm very sure of what I'm going to say.

Esme: Since a lot of people don't go into census polls they've already done, I split your post and put it into the welcome forum so everyone could say hi.

Like me. Hi. (-:þ

Okay, I've decided I'm not really an introvert. I'm just a cat. I'd just rather sit on the window sill and watch cars and birds than interact with people... *shrug*

I like trees.

Okay, I've decided I'm not really an introvert. I'm just a cat. I'd just rather sit on the window sill and watch cars and birds than interact with people... *shrug*

I like trees.

*ponces*

Meow?

i dont have any idea. i was definitely an introverted child, but i enjoyed meeting new people now. in fact my current job requires me to hunt for people all the time (im doing sales)

on meyen biggs im supposedly an E; but i dont know if its just because i can handle myself well with social situations or what. i do like to meet new people, although i never fancy group chattings. i will tend to single out a person really soon and speak with.

but i enjoyed solitude alot.

As I understand it, the Jungian based M-B type indicators define extrovert and introvert in terms of how you recoup your energy rather than how you interact with people. An extrovert is more likely to seek other people when feeling down or lacking energy. They are energized by social activity. Introverts, on the other hand, tend to retreat and seek solitude when they feel down and lack energy. They are energized by turning inward.

I remember one psych prof used me rather unexpectedly as an introvert example in class. I register just about as far toward the I end of the scale as you can get. He asked me in class if I liked to go to clubs or parties when I felt depressed or unhappy. The idea itself horrified me so badly I came absolutely unglued at the thought. :shock: He got a shocked and horrified NO! from me pretty much at the top of my lungs. He then turned to the rest of the class and said, "That's an introvert." :roll:

As I understand it, the Jungian based M-B type indicators define extrovert and introvert in terms of how you recoup your energy rather than how you interact with people. An extrovert is more likely to seek other people when feeling down or lacking energy. They are energized by social activity. Introverts, on the other hand, tend to retreat and seek solitude when they feel down and lack energy. They are energized by turning inward.

I remember one psych prof used me rather unexpectedly as an introvert example in class. I register just about as far toward the I end of the scale as you can get. He asked me in class if I liked to go to clubs or parties when I felt depressed or unhappy. The idea itself horrified me so badly I came absolutely unglued at the thought. :shock: He got a shocked and horrified NO! from me pretty much at the top of my lungs. He then turned to the rest of the class and said, "That's an introvert." :roll:

i think thats better said. im definitely an introvert here because i dislike rushing off to clubs when im down. although i do enjoyed mixing around with people during functions, and generally receptive to social activities. i do get motivated talking to people....(and im actually energised after speaking to people) but im drawn to introverted activities like reading and writing.

wait hang on...was that just the fact that im a slacker? LOL.

• 2 weeks later...
Schala Zeal

Introverted here too. Everytime I'd take a personality test I'd get introverted over extraverted and I know I feel that way also.

I've discovered that most people's idea of "doing nothing" is my idea of "doing something", which leads me to wonder what my version of nothing is. I mean that if I go out to a friend's place or something, and we watch movies, or sit at home and talk or something, I concider this doing something, and my friends might say "being with you feels just like I'm by myself, but it's nice". For me, it doesn't feel like I'm by myself, because I know what by myself feels like, and after I've been hanging out with someone, even if we're not really doing anything, I still have to spend some time afterwards by myself. Being by myself is really the natural thing for me ... I require a ton of personal space, let me tell you. But is it really personal space? Or is it time I spend online >.<

Also, I had to do some rather extroverted activities these past couple days, and they were icky. I always have the knowledge in the back of my head that there is a reason I avoid socializing, but it never really hits me until I do it.

• 9 months later...

I could have sworn I voted in this poll before...

intro.

I am definitely introverted. I am quite talkative with my friends, close friends, but I generally tend to be much more comfortable when I am with individuals, rather than when I am in crowds. I like being in groups I am comfortable with, but if it is peopel I don't know I can't really stand it. I hate being in public (especially in crowded cafeterias). I am terrible with small talk, it makes me feel very uncomfortable when I feel forced around people. I can't be myself unless I am really comfortable (sadly). I hate when my more extroverted friends take me around places with tons of people they know, I feel so small and just dreadful. I get really melancholy around people I don't know, and don't feel I would really click with. I am bad with public speaking and I can't speak to authority figures (like teachers). I generally don't speak unless spoken to, and then it's just one word answers. I can't go very long without having self-time.

But inside, I'm terribly terribly social. And many of my friends are surprised to hear me say I am shy. They probably just think I hate people or something. It's not that, I'm just terrified of them. And just like my asexuality, people don't believe me or understand my social phobia. *sigh*

Still, I much prefer being an introvert. I enjoy the insight I have.

I was reading something in my psych textbook. One theory is that introverts are overaroused, they have a lot of electrical activity in their brain and so they seak to reduce stimulation. At the same time extroverts are underaroused, having less activity in the brain and so they seak out stimuli. I completely agree with this theory. Basically extroverts get bored very easily, while introverts are very easily overwhelmed.

I am fascinated by the theory that you mentioned from your psych textbook. I would love to investigate this further. Do you have the name, edition, publisher, and author of the textbook? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

i was very intro a while ago. but since then i got on the meds and am starting to come out a bit more. also growing up helps, i always found it easier to talk to twenty-somethings than teenagers

Archived