• Vegan 24/7
    • Vegan Occasionally
    • Meat! YUM!
    • I try to eat healthily, but don't rule out anything
    • I have dietary restrictions for health reasons
    • I have dietary restrictions for religious reasons
    • A life without sugar, lard and fat isn't a life worth living

This poll is closed to new votes

It's been pointed out that we seem to have several vegetarians here at AVEN...

So what's your typical diet?

As usual--let me know if I should add something.

Cate

I've been a quasi-vegetarian for about 9 years. Several months ago I added poultry to my diet though, which would make me a partial vegetarian (the only things now I don't eat is pork and red meat). I can just barely call myself a vegetarian since I eat fish and poultry :?

I'm also health conscious about my diet and try to eat healthy.

WARNING: PLEASE DON´T READ IF YOU DON´T LIKE GRAPHIC DESCRIPTIONS OF... MEAT

I remember a comic strip I once saw in a magazine... Inodoro Pereyra is a very macho fictional gaucho (traditional cow herder or the pampas). He considers his nephew a dishonor... because he´s a vegetarian. Meat (mostly beef) eating is a big part of argentine culture. One of our most traditional foods is the asado, big barbecues cooked on charcoal with several types of sausages, bovine innards, and beef cuts (which aren´t available in most of the world). Sometimes chicken, pork, and lamb will also be present. The interesting part of the asado, is that it has an almost ritual feeling. Gender roles are reversed, it´s usually made by men, who compete withe ach other as to who can cook the best one.

I tried vegetarian after my grandfather died of CJD (human strain of mad cow) but I went lactose intollerant and couldn't deal with eating just veggies and breads, nuts etc. so now I just try to cut down on red meats and keep it balanced.

I've recently heard about keeping a good PH balance - which usually means cutting down on high acidic foods - and I've been trying to do that. It's supposed to keep you from getting sick and since I've been doing it I haven't been sick... but it's just been a few months.

hawke

I've virtually eliminated red meat from my diet (still have a chili from work now n again) and I dont eat fish, and eat chicken once or twice a week... so i guess i'm a "eat healthy w/o ruling anything out."

For me it's lean meat (poultry and fish, mostly), occasional eggs from my own poultry, lots of vegetables, whole grains, nuts, fruit, and low-fat dairy products.

I avoid eating and won't purchase: refined sugar, refined flour, trans-fats, and/or products made with any of those substances.

I chose the "eat healthy but won't rule anything out" category because I might make a rare exception to my "don't eat" list for social events or etc.

-Greybird

whisper in a crowd

I don't eat much meat because I don't like it. I've tried vegetarian meat once and I liked it better than normal meat.

I think I might become a vegetarian in the future.

It's all about the tempeh!! Tofu tastes like old yougurt as far as I'm concerned, but tempeh tases and textures like meat, so if you spice it right...

(and yes I know "textures" isn't a verb. Bleh.)

My diet usually is as simple as, if i feel like eating a certain food at a certain moment that food is mine to be had . :) I tried the worrying about what I consume thing for most of my years in high school.Constant calorie counting and dieting to no end,needless to say it was a complete pain in the arse.The way I have chosen since those days has been much more simpler.And truely the diet doesnt affect my physical aspect as most would think.I take glucophage which controls my appetite, so I usually only eat small amounts of things.

I have so many other things to stress out over than my eating habits... x-x I tried going vegetarian for a year, but due to my many food phobias and texture issues, especially related to most fruits and vegetables, that was simply unfeasible. You can only live off pasta, bean burritos, pizza, macaroni and cheese and bean soup for so long....

I've been a vegetarian for almost two months now. Go me! And I have to say that being vegetarian is one of the best choices I've made in my life. I feel so much better now, both mentally and physically. I predict that I will become vegan in the future. I'm one for taking things slow...so that will be awhile.

I make no particular effort to eat healthily, and never have done. OTOH I rarely eat fast food, and I'm underweight and relatively fit, so I don't feel any compelling reason to bother.

While I've got no complaints over eating a veggy meal now and then, I generally eat some meat nearly every day.

• 4 weeks later...

My diet's a bit odd. I'm not a vegetarian, but I'm anemic and lactose intolerant with blood pressure so low my doctor told me I should theoretically be dead. So my diet consists of a lot of broccoli, no dairy and more salt than the dead sea.

bard of aven

Vegetables are what food eats, but as I intend to be food eventually (even if only for worms), I eat my share.

boa

biggreenmonkey

I'm sort of a vegetarian, but I eat fish, so I didn't know if that counted. I put 'I try to eat healthy'

oh, my diet sucks.... i admit it.

it consists of lots of junk food and subs and rice and water. i know, i know. lousy.

I don't rule anything out. Well, I don't eat anything. Lately, my diet consists of breads and veggies, but as I don't have much financial control in what I can eat ( as I still live with my mom. . x.< ), we rarely have veggies and fruits to eat. I can at least tolerate eating meat if there's nothing else, but that's about it.

Once I move out and have my own place to live, chances are I'll slowly drop meat from my diet. Especially when I can learn how to make the orange sauce that they use to cook orange chicken in. That stuff's so good. . ^^~

Concealed ID
I try to eat healthily, but don't rule out anything

I always eat healthily, I haven't eaten chocolate bar since Christmas, and that was only because someone gave me it and I didn't have anywhere else to put it!

It seems you didn't assume anyone would be fully healthy. So I haven't got an option on this test.

nonentities
I'm sort of a vegetarian, but I eat fish, so I didn't know if that counted. I put 'I try to eat healthy'

There's all sorts of vegetarians -- a lot of people will consider you a pesco-lacto-ovo (or whatever, I probably spelled that wrong) if you eat fish, eggs, and milk products.

Also, I'm a vegetarian 24/7. Except I do eat eggs and milk, I'm not a silly vegan. ;)

Live R Perfect

I was torn between "I try to eat healthily but won't rule anything out" and "A life without sugar, lard and fat isn't a life worth living" :lol: . I opted for the former option though.

The interesting part of the asado, is that it has an almost ritual feeling. Gender roles are reversed, it´s usually made by men, who compete withe ach other as to who can cook the best one.

Hmm... sounds exactly like the barbecues we have here. Very much a male-dominated form of cuisine. Big chunks of meat, highly flammable substances... now that's MANLY cooking! :wink: :roll:

baa*baa*grey*sheep

I've been a vegan since October last year. I was a vegetarian for just over a year and decided it was the right time for me to become a vegan. :wink:

Chess, what did you mean when you said this?

Also, I'm a vegetarian 24/7. Except I do eat eggs and milk, I'm not a silly vegan.

I'm not a silly vegan either, :x I'm someone who opted for a healthier and kinder lifestyle for both myself and animals. In fact, I'm much healthier than I've ever been in my life with cutting out eggs and milk! And there are (healthier) alternatives!

:D

I didnt vote because

-I'll eat meat if the animal was shot by my brothers or nephews or neighbours or self

-I'm an ardent fisher and eat a *lot* of kai moana

-I prefer to eat vegetables that family/friends have grown, because then I know there've been no bad pest sprays used, but I'm not ultra-rigid on this

-I eat free range chicken & eggs only (cant keep chooks here - the stoats get 'em)

-I drink very little milk but love cheese & yoghurt & butter

-I *love* one kind of fat (titi/muttonbird fat, thank you for asking)

-I buy bread from a brillant artisan bread-maker ( her paraoa-kareko loaf is to die for)

-wine's food isnt it? Ah good. I drink a lot of food.

-I LOVE FOOD!

Sorry for all the 'I's

Oooo! (noise of pun-wounded one)

Once wrote a poem called "O aye, eye, I, ai" and thought I was quite clever. I *was* 11....

polygenesis

I am bizarre about food. I don't eat wheat (intolerance) but also try to eat neither sugar nor artificial sweetners, which makes me pretty much a nightmare to cook for unless you actually do it from scratch and know things other than pizza and pasta!! People think it's weird and sounds really hard, but it really isn't, although eating out is depressing sometimes.

Ooh... :? Are you celiac? I used to work at a health food store, and there are alternative foods, but is it ever difficult to organise food with those restrictions.

Archived