Asexual Erasure

hollowed out feeling

Being apart of the big asexual tumblr community, I'm pretty sure erasure there is when someone actively denies/erases your existence even when you tell them you exist. That's happened a lot in the last half a year there with all the giant fights and drama that went on.

If you want to understand and develop the concept of asexual erasure, there is no need to reinvent the wheel. Read about bisexual erasure (or bisexual invisibility, which is synonymous).

Recommended resources:

1. Bisexual Invisibility: Impacts and Recommendations (www.lgbtqnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/bi-invisibility.pdf)

2. The Epistemic Contract of Bisexual Erasure (www.kenjiyoshino.com/articles/epistemiccontract.pdf) (a long but thorough read)

3. Wikipedia (for those who don't like to read)

(Edited since links weren't working.)

Edited by Siggy

This is one of those poisonous words that get thrown around when someone doesn't get thier own way

I find it ironic that PiF doesn't like the phrase "asexual erasure", considering that he's always complaining that people are gonna think asexuals are gay. That would be a perfect example of asexual erasure: assuming all asexuals are gay.

And if the phrase is too "poisonous", would you prefer a nicer word? What word would you propose?

People can't "erase" unless they know that the thing exists.

I guess you are defining erasure as an intentional action? I think erasure can be unintentional too. I mean, it's hard to blame people for doing things wrong when they have good intentions, but as they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I find it ironic that PiF doesn't like the phrase "asexual erasure", considering that he's always complaining that people are gonna think asexuals are gay. That would be a perfect example of asexual erasure: assuming all asexuals are gay.

And if the phrase is too "poisonous", would you prefer a nicer word? What word would you propose?

difficult one siggs..to activists like you a good old fashioned common sense word has no relevance..make one up for effect and glitz that is nothing real and you will bite it and claim it's actually happening

i don't like erasure in regards to asexuality because it doesn't happen..to me erasure is like ethnic cleansing

what you are your type are trying to do is confuse erasure with..people having an opinion and tree huggers trying to block it

is saying some parts of aven are not asexual incorrect? this would be correct..but under people like you and thier terms this would be erasure..we do love drama in aven don't we

weird that we demand the right to say ..hey i exist..but don't allow a person a different view..to have that different view...the erasure is being attempted by those who are so far up thier politicaly correct arseoles that they seek to wipe out anyone with a common sense view and a right to an opinion

so..erasure within aven doesn't exist..people with allowed different opinions ..does..for now

is saying some parts of aven are not asexual incorrect? this would be correct..but under people like you and thier terms this would be erasure..we do love drama in aven don't we

PiF, I think you are putting words in my mouth. But go on, continue arguing with imagined opponents.

PiF, I think you are putting words in my mouth. But go on, continue arguing with imagined opponents.

Sigg

I can absolutely assure you nothing of mine.... will ever be put in your mouth :lol:

I can absolutely assure you nothing of mine.... will ever be put in your mouth :lol:

Sometimes I think I just should never read what PiF writes- I just spit water all over my computer screen!

I've had people question it and say "Oh come on, that's not possible" before. I'm glad I heard this after I discovered the forum and what it means to be asexual, and after my boyfriend and sister told me it was fine for me to not want sex, or I probably would have felt like an idiot. I know I talked to someone on tumblr who said they received death threats for being open about being asexual, and ugh, of course that's not okay at all. At least this person was very strong and confident in themselves, and they're sticking to what they've always done.

Did they say why they received death threats?

And what's with all this madness of tumblr? Is that what the site is for?

Lucinda

sinisterporpoise

Why has no one said it's a a ridiculously complex word for a simple concept and that the people who use it most frequently are often are just trying to make themselves look smarter?

Off-topic discussion has been split into a new thread. Please remember to keep discussion relevant to the original post.

Bipolar Bear

Admin

Edited by Bipolar Bear

I've got to say, I think the level to which people on a website dedicated to visibility and education for a minority sexuality are ignorant of the use of the word "erasure" in the politics of minority sexualities (and other minority politics), is pretty shocking, particularly given its direct impact on visibility.

And the fact that so many are proud of their ignorance, and think it's just fine to taunt people who aren't ignorant of the sociopolitical usage of "erasure" as up-themselves smartypantses is really disappointing. Anti-intellectualism is NOT cool.

Anyway, I'll just pimp an old Apositive topic of mine http://apositive.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=237 and be done with it, as anything else I wrote would just go to show how pissed off I am right now.