ASMR

Is something called "Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response" (ASMR) known / experienced by Asexuals also, or do only Sexuals have it? I wonder because I heard People saying ASMR is not sexual, but I never heard any Asexual talking about it.. ^^

Oh, and I do not know if this is the right Forum for this Question..

Looks rather interesting but I can't say that I've ever experienced something like that.

Huh! I get these rather infrequently, although I never knew that they were called. Thanks! They don't come very often, but I always enjoy it when they do :).

For those who don't feel like looking it up (like I just did), this site describes ASMR as "a physical sensation characterized by a pleasurable tingling that typically begins in the head and scalp, and often moves down the spine and through the limbs."

According to the above site, common triggers are: (I've bolded the triggers which have applied to me in the past))

• Exposure to slow, accented, or unique speech patterns
  • Viewing educational or instructive videos or lectures
  • Experiencing a high empathetic or sympathetic reaction to an event
  • Enjoying a piece of art or music
  • Watching another person complete a task, often in a diligent, attentive manner - examples would be filling out a form, writing a check, going through a purse or bag, inspecting an item closely, etc.
  • Close, personal attention from another person
  • Haircuts, or other touch from another on head or back

I don't know how helpful this is, being that I'm probably not strictly asexual. I call myself asexual since that's the closest label which fits, but I know there are plenty of people who are "more ace" (if that's a valid comparison :P) than me ;).

EDIT: This might be slightly off-topic... but while I was research ASMR, I stumbled across this video which some people said contains sounds which commonly trigger ASMR. It did for me, although I wouldn't call this a "scientific" way to determine if you can experience ASMR.

I never knew there was a term for this.

I get them sometimes when people touch me on the shoulder or (less frequently) arm or back. And they often accompany spiritual experiences, for me. A couple of the ones Caspian bolded apply to me, as well. Like Caspian, it's pretty infrequent - for me maybe a couple times a month (just an estimate).

Yessssss, I definitely do. And it's the best thing ever. I'd rather have one of these (preferably induced by somebody else scratching my scalp) than any kind of sexual pleasure.

I didn't even know this was a thing for other people; I thought it was just one of my quirks.

I get something like that, a prickly feeling in my scalp as a reaction to events in a TV show or movie.

Hurm, wonder if that explains a weird feeling I get whenever someone is cutting the hair right by my ears and the cold metal brushes my skin, this odd tingling sensation just shoots straight down and out causing me to shiver. Haven't really thought of it as sexual, though a former boyfriend hit it also when talking really really low right against my ear.

Must investigate further! THANKS! :)

Guest member25959

I wasn't quiet sure what this term meant, at first. (So after doing a quick Google search for 'Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response', I found this: The Unnamed Feeling: What Do We Call These.

I've had similar experiences to this, when I stand up after a long period spent sat/lying down, but I've often put that down to a combination of low blood pressure and hot weather.

But, I personally wouldn't have said that it's limited to or by sexual attraction. So, sure, there are plenty of asexuals who have experienced this. :P

Radioactive Goat

I get a weird tingling sensation when I or someone pets my head. That's about it :T

I don't know if this is really the same thing? But listening to this 3d sound definitely give me the tingles in in a similar way

You have to wear headphones for it to work though :)

Almost everyday... I don't understand what asexuality would have to do with it, but whateves.

I don't know if this is really the same thing? But listening to this 3d sound definitely give me the tingles in in a similar way

I loved this one! When the scizors got close to my right ear i swear i felt them and the electric one on my right side too. I started loling

For those who don't feel like looking it up (like I just did), this site describes ASMR as "a physical sensation characterized by a pleasurable tingling that typically begins in the head and scalp, and often moves down the spine and through the limbs."

I thought that happens just right before you get goosebumps =/

I would personally call that an unpleasant sensation, especially as it happens when I'm slightly tickled like from hair cuts.

If I had just a general tingling in my brain, I'd call a doctor.

Looks rather interesting but I can't say that I've ever experienced something like that.

Unfortunately I do not too.. :(

@Caspian

WOW! Thanks for all this Information! And a really good Video too! :)

Unfortunately I do not experience it, I think. But I like different Sounds and some of the Titles for such Sound-Videos mentioned "ASMR Trigger" or similar Things. So I searched the Term and learned, that this Experience seems to be a nonsexual-Experience. I also searched "ASMR" on AVEN and I got not even 1 single Result. This made me wonder why this is. But now I think, maybe it is just not known enough!?

Yessssss, I definitely do. And it's the best thing ever. I'd rather have one of these (preferably induced by somebody else scratching my scalp) than any kind of sexual pleasure.

I didn't even know this was a thing for other people; I thought it was just one of my quirks.

You are definitely not alone with this! :)

I get something like that, a prickly feeling in my scalp as a reaction to events in a TV show or movie.

Thank You for Your Answer! :)

Hurm, wonder if that explains a weird feeling I get whenever someone is cutting the hair right by my ears and the cold metal brushes my skin, this odd tingling sensation just shoots straight down and out causing me to shiver. Haven't really thought of it as sexual, though a former boyfriend hit it also when talking really really low right against my ear.

Must investigate further! THANKS! :)

I wasn't quiet sure what this term meant, at first. (So after doing a quick Google search for 'Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response', I found this: The Unnamed Feeling: What Do We Call These.

I've had similar experiences to this, when I stand up after a long period spent sat/lying down, but I've often put that down to a combination of low blood pressure and hot weather.

But, I personally wouldn't have said that it's limited to or by sexual attraction. So, sure, there are plenty of asexuals who have experienced this. :P

Interesting! I hope in Your Case it is not something serious?

I was not sure, if it is not limited "to or by sexual Attraction" because, when I searched on AVEN on it, I got exactly no Result.. ^^

*shudders* Ugh, I get vasovagal/neurocardiogenic syncope attacks sometimes...I would definitely not consider those pleasurable at all. :wacko:

I also would not consider this pleasurable! :(

I can't say I've ever had an ASMR experience. I really like having my head and shoulders scratched, but I think that's just because there's a ton of nerves there and it feels nice.

I do get this (very noticeable) thing like sensations along my spine and shoulderblades sometimes when someone is doing something they're amazingly skilled at, or with music.

edit: Whoa, I just watched that video Caspian posted and I do get sensations in my head, but they're not super intense...? So maybe I do experience it but never noticed the head part before.

I cannot tell.. But at least *I* got exactly nothing like this when I watched this Video. So You seem to be more affected than me..^^ The only Thing, Videos like this do for me is, that they tend to relax me. :) And this is enough for me to watch them.. :D

I get a weird tingling sensation when I or someone pets my head. That's about it :T

I like those 3d Sounds (Holophonics, Binaural Recordings or wathever they are called) too! :)

Almost everyday... I don't understand what asexuality would have to do with it, but whateves.

Well, I was wondering about it, because - from what I could say - sexual People saying it is a non-sexual Experience, but I never heard any Asexual talking about it. So basically, I was wondering if and why asexual People seem to not know / experience this non-sexual Thing too. At least until I asked this Question, I never heard anything about it, from an asexual Person.

I thought that happens just right before you get goosebumps =/

Possibly, but I do not know.. However, as far as I heard about it, it can go much further than that..^^

I would personally call that an unpleasant sensation, especially as it happens when I'm slightly tickled like from hair cuts.

If I had just a general tingling in my brain, I'd call a doctor.

As far as I heard, it seems to be a very pleasant Experience! :) But I do not know, if it can be dangerous too? Possibly it is just something like Synesthesia? But I do not know.

I do this and I'm asexual. I never realized that all people didn't experience this.

this

I do this and I'm asexual. I never realized that all people didn't experience this.

and this

I never knew there was a term for it and never thought much about it. I guess I just thought of it as a sort of "thrill". I get it when someone does gentle stuff around my face and head, like caressing, other light touching. And I can get it from some of the other things mentioned. How does this differ from "frisson"? Or is that just another less jargon-y term for the same thing?

When I was in elementary school, several times a week we had storytime when the kids would all sit on the floor and the teacher would read to us. And I had really long hair, and the other kids all liked it and would take turns braiding it, or stroking it, whatever. Kinda bizarre sounding, but this went on for all 4 years during the storytime, usually with different kids every year, and I almost never instigated it. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that I got something like ASMR from that, because it felt really good. Wish I could still get somebody to do that to me, actually...too bad all anyone wants now that we're grown up is this "sex" thing. :P

@Arrlynn

And I did not even know, other People experience Things like that! ^^

@daveb

I do not know, what exactly the Jargon "frisson" means. But from what other People said, it is experienced as being very to even extremely relaxing, some People even describe it as orgasmic.. :)

So it *seems* to vary from Person to Person in its Intensity.

@ killjoy188

Interesting!

Yes I think, that People lose - or almost sacrifice - other Things that (possibly) made them (in a Way) happy (too), from the Time *before* this "Sex"-Thing starts.. But sadly, the other Things tend to have, like it seems to me, the Disadvantage of being not so widely spread in the Population..

I had no idea that this was a thing, or that not everyone feels it... Am I wierd though that I tend to get this most inthe classroom? When a bunch of things suddenly "come together" or just make sense, or when the prof says something and I suddenly have to back through all my knowledge and think about the applications... this is why I am addicted to school :P

I also like people playing with my hair, and it used to be my favourite activity when babysitting; I'd just bring a bunch of hair stuff with me (NOT SCISSORS!) and let the girl play for hours on end with my hair :) But that has always been more relaxing than "tingly"...

I do get this (very noticeable) thing like sensations along my spine and shoulderblades sometimes when someone is doing something they're amazingly skilled at, or with music.

Me too.

Got back cramps from the bathroom sounds vid.

Yes I think, that People lose - or almost sacrifice - other Things that (possibly) made them (in a Way) happy (too), from the Time *before* this "Sex"-Thing starts.. But sadly, the other Things tend to have, like it seems to me, the Disadvantage of being not so widely spread in the Population..

Sad. Miss it too. Dang it.

Frisson : frisson (plural frissons)

1. A French word intended to convey the shiver or thrill of fright that can be strangely pleasurable. As when reading good horror fiction. Sometimes accompanied by the sensation of the hairs raising on the back of the neck. Note that this is not synonymous with fear which is a more powerful and visceral feeling.

2. An experience of intense excitement.

"Musical Frisson" has been described as a response some people get when going to the opera, seeing a really powerful scene from a movie or video with music, or listening to a good song. One article I read pondered that the reaction to voices in opera or music might be the brain equating these voices as being similar to the sound of people screaming, which would normally elicit a fear response. The brain however, realizing that the situation is not frightening at all, perceives it as pleasurable.

I kinda wonder to, if the pleasure people get from hearing a sexual partner whimpering or moaning might be something similar, since those kinds of noises might make you think the person was in pain or frightened if taken out of context. Having someone touch you on the head or the neck might be part of this too. I know I tense up if anything or anyone unfamiliar touches my neck. It's a very vulnerable area. I think in the case of being touched by a close friend or an SO, your brain replaces standard fear signals with feel-good signals, and the fear-response becomes closely linked with excitement.

It's like the body is saying; "This could cause you harm, but we don't think it's going to."

Holy cow I get those all the time! It happens whenever I'm listening to really good music, even if it's only in my head! I love those tinglies. Love them. I actively hunt them sometimes.

I was also once in Elton John and Tim Rice's version of Aida, and the Dance of the Robe gives me multiple ASMRs almost every time.

Somes, also, when I read a good story, it happens, especy at the very end of the book. The only example that comes easily to mind is The World Inside, but it happens a lot.

Oh, I always call these "the shivers". I didn't know there was a real name for them. I get them with good "cold" music.

• 3 months later...

I just discovered this term last night, whilst browsing YouTube for relaxing videos. I never imagined there would be online communities dedicated to research on the phenomenon, as well as people uploading "whisper videos". Every time I tried to explain the feeling to friends or family, they thought I was crazy.

BUT I'M NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

• 1 month later...

OMG. I get this rather frequently. But strangely enough, nothing triggers it-it just happens randomly.