Asexy vs. Ace

Guest member25959

Guest member25959

So as it stands, we (appear) to only have a grand total of 3 , 4 slang terms in the Asexual (AVEN) community!

-Ace

-Asexy

-A (very rarely used)

-Amoeba

Yup, that's just about it. Other terms probably exist outside of AVEN, but I think it's pretty obvious which one of those terms is used more often.

So which do you prefer?

I personally despise the term Ace for numerous reasons, I formally refuse to use it to describe myself.

Meh, if anyone has any better suggestions for slangterms for Asexual, throw them out there, I guess.

well, as far as asexual slang goes, I can think of a few more - they don't all mean asexual though:

-"aces and graces" for asexuals and grey-a's (Not sure if it includes demis. I usually assume they are a part of the grey-A area, so I guess it can)

-"zucchini" for aromantic, platonic partnerships

-"squishes" for nonromantic crushes on people, or something vaguely like that.

also, I'd say they're more jargon than slang, but all the terms like "hetero-/homo-/bi-/a-romantic" and "demisexual" etc. are all fairly unique to aven and the ace community (at least as of now)

Quill Pen Gentleman

I go with ace when I'm on AVEN, but I also use asexy.

Normally, though, I use asexy to describe something that I think is attractive or cool. Example: That 1965 Ford Mustang is asexy or Brent Smith is asexy.

When I first came out to my best friend, she called my sexuality "a". I told her to say ace becuase "a" sounds like she's calling me an ass for some reason. :huh:

I've never referred myself as an amoeba, although I don't mind someone calling me an amoeba.

I don't really feel comfortable describing anything, even myself, as sexy or asexy, so... I tend to go with ace.

MÃ¥skemigselvetsted

Ace. But then no one knows what I mean.

No one outside the ace/asexy(?!) community, know what the others refer to, either. Most doesn't know about asexuality, so if they knew slang for it, I would be really surprised.

BonesTheHeretic

No one outside the ace/asexy(?!) community, know what the others refer to, either. Most doesn't know about asexuality, so if they knew slang for it, I would be really surprised.

Yeah, I know. I don't use the others at all so I really just meant I prefer it to asexual.

Among those who know I'll use Ace. Among everyone else I don't use slang because few enough people know about asexuality as it is.

I never use slang with anyone since it's already difficult to explain them what asexuality is using proper terms, let alone informal ones :P

Among all those I like ace best. I wouldn't use it in Italian, though, as its spelling is weird when referred to a person (calling someone "asso" wouldn't be my thing :lol:).

I never use slang with anyone since it's already difficult to explain them what asexuality is using proper terms, let alone informal ones :P

Among all those I like ace best. I wouldn't use it in Italian, though, as its spelling is weird when referred to a person (calling someone "asso" wouldn't be my thing :lol:).

Same here. Unless I am on AVEN or at a meet-up I will not use informal terms for asexuality basically because only AVEN members understand those terms, thus making the useless when talking to people that are not AVEN members.

The slang term for asexual I tend to us is ace but sometimes I will use the term asexy as well.

I prefer ace because I really don't want people to misinterpret asexy. Plus, if I slip up around someone I'd rather didn't know, it's a common enough word that they don't think much of it, even if the usage is unusual.

I use ace, but sometimes in my mind I'll use asexy, with the side-effect of having a certain song stuck in my head with the lyrics altered slightly... :redface:

I've shared this story before elsewhere on the forum, but in an online game that I play, there's an item called the "Ace's Helm". On the German client of the game, this item gets translated to "Ass-Helm". For incredibly immature people, such as myself, this fact has been the source of several bouts of LOLs among in-game friends.

But yeah, I never use the term "ace" (in the context usually referred to on this site) in real life. Nobody would get it.

Ace. I'm Australian and therefore have a natural aversion to polysyllabic words.

^ :lol: .

I use the term 'asexy' more. Like the twist on the whole sexiness thing. Don't mind sex but can't stand the sexiness stuff. Probably because I don't have sexual attraction. Ace I use more as shorthand for asexual although not very often. 'Amoeba' I find offensive- way too many use it out of willing ignorance.

Actually, while talking at the local Sexual and Gender Diversity centre on campus, when I said I was ace there was no confusion. Which, is pretty cool when you think about it, since this part of Canada is kind of the boondocks for sexuality (more rural than urban, though our rural is not as loud as the neighbor's rural).

I prefer saying ace, since it's more or less ambiguous and I get hassled a lot less about it.

MÃ¥skemigselvetsted

Actually, while talking at the local Sexual and Gender Diversity centre on campus, when I said I was ace there was no confusion. Which, is pretty cool when you think about it, since this part of Canada is kind of the boondocks for sexuality (more rural than urban, though our rural is not as loud as the neighbor's rural).

I prefer saying ace, since it's more or less ambiguous and I get hassled a lot less about it.

That's great that they knew! :D

Ace. I'm Australian and therefore have a natural aversion to polysyllabic words.

:lol:

I tend to use 'ace' as a descriptor, but, amongst the asexually aware, I also use 'asexy' as an adjective, usually in a playful context.

Lol... you Australians and your polysyllabic words... :P

I quite like ace. It just seems to come out naturally. That and I would never describe myself as sexy no matter what my orientation - like if I said 'oh hai, I'm heterosexy' that would just be weird. :P So ace it is!

^Yes :D Sometimes I alter the lyrics of another song, though. Haha.

I'm too asexy for my shirt, too asexy for my shirt, so asexy that it hurts.

I use ace sometimes, but usually I just say asexual.

Great Thief Yatagarasu

well, as far as asexual slang goes, I can think of a few more - they don't all mean asexual though:

-"aces and graces" for asexuals and grey-a's (Not sure if it includes demis. I usually assume they are a part of the grey-A area, so I guess it can)

-"zucchini" for aromantic, platonic partnerships

-"squishes" for nonromantic crushes on people, or something vaguely like that.

also, I'd say they're more jargon than slang, but all the terms like "hetero-/homo-/bi-/a-romantic" and "demisexual" etc. are all fairly unique to aven and the ace community (at least as of now)

I know there's a website for greys and demisexuals called "Demigrace", which sounds pretty cool. I'd like to use "Graceful" to describe myself, actually. :D

I call myself Kyle, Random, Dentie, sometimes Manwhore.

:D

would you mind if i called you Larry? haha

Archived