Spelling

Member33070

How do you spell it?  

1. 1. How do you spell it?

• Gray
    • Grey
    • Other?

I'm American so gray but for some reason when I was young I came to the conclusion that when you were describing a person (eyes, hair, etc.) you used grey. I still find myself doing this occasionally.

Grey. Can't quite say why, but gray bothers me to no end. And I'm from Cali.

orangeisthenewiloveyou

i voted "grey," and i'm in America

Oh, I had thought the spelling gray was a bit of wit combining grey-a together. It honestly hadn't occurred to me that it was the US spelling.

i do really like this, though

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, this doesn't seem to be progressing toward a resolution, so I propose another compromise: "light black."

Thoughts?

:lol:

Ok, this doesn't seem to be progressing toward a resolution, so I propose another compromise: "light black."

Thoughts?

:lol:

Please, it's obviously "Dark White".

Noooo!! Ok, this compromise clearly isn't working.

New idea: Let's call it "#878787".

That's the RGB color code for THIS COLOR. It lies exactly in the middle between black (#000000) and white (#ffffff).

EDIT: If the color doesn't appear to be exactly in the middle between black and white, keep in mind that the background against you're viewing it has some color which may bias your eyes.

That's the RGB color code for THIS COLOR. It lies exactly in the middle between black (#000000) and white (#ffffff).

EDIT: If the color doesn't appear to be exactly in the middle between black and white, keep in mind that the background against you're viewing it has some color which may bias your eyes.

But then that implies that grays are in the middle of the spectrum exactly, and a bunch of them aren't. :blink:

In general I like your idea though. :P

(I kind of wish it was possible to have the definition so concrete that we could make a quiz that would give grays their hex code color of their orientation...lol...but that will never happen and I would hate it if life was that simple anyway!)

It's actually impossible to show a completely middle shade on a computer. The closest middle shade between #0000000 and #ffffff is #7f7f7f, or possibly #808080. #878787 would be slightly towards white (sexual end of the spectrum....)

00 = 0, ff=255

(0+255)/2=127.5 - normally this would be rounded up mathematically but computers tend to just ignore any non integer component unless you instruct them otherwise....

127=7f, 128=80

Oh, oh.... hmm... yeah, I did that wrong. How in the world did I come up with 87? Yeah, something clearly went wrong with my algebra.

:blush:

• 3 weeks later...

I go with gray cause I'm a silly American. I didn't think so many people use the "e".

But then that implies that grays are in the middle of the spectrum exactly, and a bunch of them aren't. :blink:

In general I like your idea though. :P

(I kind of wish it was possible to have the definition so concrete that we could make a quiz that would give grays their hex code color of their orientation...lol...but that will never happen and I would hate it if life was that simple anyway!)

People could pick the hex code for the colour that suits where their sexuality lies. But that could get complicated.

I spell it both ways, but I favor "grey".

Archived