Spelling

Member33070

How do you spell it?  

1. 1. How do you spell it?

• Gray
    • Grey
    • Other?

I feel like one of the only weirdo Americans around here who spells "gray" the way that I do.

Are we the only ones who spell it like that?

Vote in the poll...how do you spell it? Gray or grey? And where are you from?

(hey, we can have fun topics too)

Also, am I the only one who reads "grey" as "gree"? Lol!!

As an American, I guess I tend to lean toward "gray." Probably because my spell check yells at me if I want to type "grey" :lol:

But I'm glad the forum is called "The Gray Area." Else, I'd feel guilty about listening to my spell check :).

Hospital Dreams

I flip flop back and forth on how I spell it. My decision to use Grey/Gray is really random, and I don't even notice when I use one over the other (such as on my profile, I use Grey, but in a thread, I used Gray.)

I feel like more of an Englishman but I still use American spelling for things. I also use "elevator" instead of "lift". Too much American TV, I guess. But I don't even live in an English-speaking country so who cares. :P

I'm American but I normally spell it grey. I do use gray, though, I just don't realize when it happens.

... and furthermore ...

... if You do use the spelling "Grey" ...

Do you believe there is a TV Show about Our Anatomy?

Or have ya just not read der Book? :ph34r:

:cake: for Honesty :D

I´m Czech, so I spell it sometimes "gray" and sometimes "grey". :lol:

Gray. Although officially we only learn "British English" in school, most if not all students here tend to write and speak a very American English since it's usually much more visible in pop culture (movies, music, books etc). Here in Germany it's generally accepted to use either American OR British English in Exams and in speech so long as you stick to one of them and don't mix them. So your neighbor can have a gray house, but not a grey one. However, your neighbour can.

I'm American but I normally spell it grey. I do use gray, though, I just don't realize when it happens.

Same. I always preferred it with an "e" for some reason.

The words "gray" and "grey" are pronounced the same way.

I spell it "grey", because I like British English a lot better than American English. However, when in American-speaking environments, I just adapt my English to the current standards. So I always use "gray" in this forum, and I also pay attention to other American-ish details like ou->o (I say "color" instead of "colour" when I'm on here), s->z ("realization" instead of "realisation") and those other small things. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do"! :P

"Gray" is how I was taught to spell it as a kid, but it's not a commonly used word for me so it never really stuck. I probably have used each spelling interchangeably without a second thought.

Now, on the other hand... whether or not to use a comma after the second-to-last item in a list (example: Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking)? I always did that, and still do, even though it seems like the majority of other people (whose writing I get to see) do not.

I'm american but i have always spelled it grey, but then again i spell most things with the british spelling

Same. I always preferred it with an "e" for some reason.

Also same. I also tend to add in u on certain words like humour. I attribute it to read too many books that used those spellings when I was younger :)

I've been taught that 'gray' is American and 'grey' is British. I'm not sure about other English speaking countries though. Being British, I have always used 'grey'. I hate it when people use American spelling and pronounciations (unless of course, you are American in which case that's fine).

"It's colour! Not color!" haha

I notice we have several thread titles which feature both spellings of grey. I'm American but like the Brit spellings because they seem more "U". (Those over the age of 100 will recognize that reference.)

But to take the "e" in grey further, as far as pronunciation: gey? bey? wey? sey?

So the Brit way is best, but not consistent.

MÃ¥skemigselvetsted

Grey :)

Like Patric says, we just have to be consistent and always stick with the British or American way to spell. Which have led to that I'm more aware of the differences than my teacher (she does not correct it anyway? Or at least, I have never heard about it..) and sometimes stop up mid-sententence because a word seems totally out of place because it's origin is American where everything else was British or the other way. And that I realise if supposely American characters from an American author but brought in England says for example words with "ou" instead of "o".

I'm Canadian, and I almost always use the British spelling of words. However, I flip-flop between grey and gray because it was never clearly explained to me what the difference between them is. In fact, I think someone tried to explain to me once that "grey" was used in names and "gray" is the colour.

Another related question would be, do you write "Earl Grey tea" or "Earl Gray tea"? lol -- Hint: it's named after a specific person, so. =P

its GREY you fools!

Quite right.

I should mention that, when I was quite young, we had a spelling test with the word "gray." It was first grade or something. I had an irrational hatred of that spelling, and even though I knew I'd get points deducted, I spelled it "grey." Indeed, I got points deducted. It felt like some kind of activism to me at the time though, because I was silly like that.

Quill Pen Gentleman

Gray. It's just what I'm used to. But sometimes I use grey becuase I misspell. :P

"It's colour! Not color!" haha

For me "color" will always win purely because it's less effort to write/type >_>

The gray/grey debate gets indifference from me purely because they both have the same amount of letters, and the mismatching letters are in roughly the same positions on the keyboard.

I should mention that, when I was quite young, we had a spelling test with the word "gray." It was first grade or something. I had an irrational hatred of that spelling, and even though I knew I'd get points deducted, I spelled it "grey." Indeed, I got points deducted. It felt like some kind of activism to me at the time though, because I was silly like that.

That shit wouldn't have flied with me. I would have argued the spelling of gray/grey until I was blue in the face.

The gray/grey debate gets indifference from me purely because they both have the same amount of letters, and the mismatching letters are in roughly the same positions on the keyboard.

Actually, if you're touch-typing, "grey" requires you to move your middle finger from the "r" to the "e", whereas with "gray", your little finger is already resting on the "a" if you return unused fingers to the home row.

And I just spent more time writing this down than I will ever save by typing "gray" over "grey".

Archived