Gray-A, Demisexual, Semisexual, Welcome!

Kelly

To all who gave of their Energy to this Sub-Forum's Birth ...

[including each of us who Voted :D ]

... Blessings ...

:cake::cake::cake:

& {{{{{{{ Big Hugs }}}}}}}

Even though I know it has been said many times before, thanks to everyone who was involved in the creation of this section :) I find that as I evolve as an ace and learn more and better ways to express what I am led to this section (both by new progress as well as finally being able to put some old feelings to a new [well, new to me] label to be able to better describe myself to other aces ^_^)

~ Dave

Well, I'm not demisexual or a gray-ace (or graces as the asexual spectrum folk on tumblr have started to use the word) myself but I am demi-romantic or grey-romantic (still not sure on what the diff between the two is, there doesn't seem to be one unlike the -sexual version) so...

Maybe not strictly within this sub-forum but hey, we're all under one flag and if you felt you needed a sub-forum for your stripe then I'm glad you have it.

I'm sure this only strengthens our community rather than divide it.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to think I was asexual for awhile until one day I ended up feeling sexual attraction. It wasn't very strong just annoying. So now I label myself as grey asexual, I "experience sexual attraction and drive, but not strongly enough to want to act on them."

new here, I am glad to find this network. After surfing and punching different words into search engines I ended up here, I think I will make myself at home for awhile. Well after a lot of research I think I am actually more autosexual than anything, if push comes to shove. Used to think I was a lesbian still call myself a lesbian (hard to give up after 32 years), tried the hetero thing it was ok, called myself a bisexual that just got me into trouble with the GLAD org. of the time in my hometown in the far North of Canada, tried the polyamorous thing didn't really work for me....I am my own best lover. I am attracted to women, but I only derive sexual pleasure from myself. My psychiatrist thinks after some time I might actually want to try a romantic relationship again, but I hate to tell her that most of my life I have been wrapped in my own world of sexuality. Again I am glad this forum is here, and I hope I don't get kicked out cuz I am still looking for answers about my sexuality and my sexual behavior. Giz

Enigmatic Soul

Ok, so not sure if this is the right place for this question buuut... What exactly does "Grey-A" mean?

Well, I'm not demisexual or a gray-ace (or graces as the asexual spectrum folk on tumblr have started to use the word) myself but I am demi-romantic or grey-romantic (still not sure on what the diff between the two is, there doesn't seem to be one unlike the -sexual version) so...

Maybe not strictly within this sub-forum but hey, we're all under one flag and if you felt you needed a sub-forum for your stripe then I'm glad you have it.

Hey yeah...the Gray Area is basically for gray A/sexuals, but do problems & interests of gray romantics apply here too?

Hey yeah...the Gray Area is basically for gray A/sexuals, but do problems & interests of gray romantics apply here too?

I don't see why not. There is already a thread of a possible gray romantic situation that's been floating around for over a week now, and this forum could use some activity.

If this should change in the future, I'm sure we'll let everyone know.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone still struggling with understanding the way my sexuality works (or doesn't in some cases?), I am so glad to say I feel very welcome here.

I am proud to be an ally of the Asexual community and all that fall under it. It can seem like a world where the sexuals fight a war with the asexuals, involving with casualties in the form of those falling in between the two -- but not here, from what I have experienced.

:cake: for everyone that welcomed me and has been helpful!

Clouded_Leopard

Hey, I'm new here.

I've looked into this forum a few times over the last year while trying to figure myself out - and I'm happy to see this Grey Area, because I've never been entirely sure if I'm completely asexual, and until now didn't feel it was quite right for me to sign up.

From what I've read, I think I'd identify as gender-neutral heteroromantic demisexual with other grey patches. It's all rather vague. :D

But mainly I'm here to get a sense of understanding and possibly community with people I can relate to in this aspect of my life.

I probably won't post much more for a while - I tend to be a bit of a lurker on forums until I've read enough that I feel I can fit in.

Yay! :lol: I'm not even gray but I'm still excited this happened. :cake:

agreed. more :cake: to birdwing

• 5 weeks later...
Effanineffable

Thank you, thank you, a thousand times thank you. This will improve my AVEN experience.

Looking forward to talking to more people like me -- like me in more ways.

Let the mutual confusion commence.

:cake:

• 2 weeks later...

Love it love it love it!

Brilliant, cheers Aven! especially as a demi that can relate to all and at the same time nothing if that makes sense?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm new here as well.

Thought I was really asexual until I got into a relationship (no sex involved) but did have sexual attraction during the relationship. Thanks to AVEN it helped me define and understand what it means to experience sexual attraction and drive, but not strongly enough to want to act on them (quoted from http://www.asexuality.org/wiki/)

Thanks to AVEN it helped me identify myself as a hetero-romantic demisexual :)

more :cake: to members both new and old

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new here. I started looking up this asexual stuff because of a recent article I recently read about. The article was about some famous guy who said he was asexual. I've thought about it before, but asexuality never seemed to match me, however being a 35 year old virgin and not caring about sex or dating too much, I decided to learn more about it. I found AVEN through various answers on Yahoo Answers and decided to check it out. Reading further into it, I learned of Gray-A's. The Gray-A definition seems to fit me more than sexual or asexual since I seem to yo-yo back and forth. Then I read a few threads about older virgins and learned that I wasn't as alone as I previously thought. I was amazed how many people on this site are older virgins like me. That really made my day and it made me take it more seriously. When I saw the Gray-A thread I decided to join up and learn more about it. It's only been a couple of days, but so far it's been educational.

• 1 month later...

Woah! I haven't been on AVEN for a while. So glad to see this new forum area :D Cake to whoever (plural) helped make this a reality: :cake:

Although functionally I'm asexual and likely to remain that way, I think I may actually be a grey, because I do occasionally have sexual dreams, which must mean something somehow, I can't deny it. They're fairly rare, but that they happen must mean something, so I can't call myself all-black.

But either way, I do know I'm asexual and have known it since early adolescence when my cousin and girl friends began obsessing about boys, and I was mystified... and stayed that way for the most part.

I read an article in The Guardian today about AVEN and us. I read the whole thing, but it seemed some important points were missed. I think churches would consider asexuals as bad as homosexuals because in theory we are not procreating sufficiently. Also, if you can't hook us into buying things by making us feel insecure about how "attractive" we are, then we are not a viable target for advertising. This means we are indeed a big threat to society as it functions today, and can expect proportionate prejudice/hatred.

(The article mentioned the researchers not getting enough funds as asexuality is not considered as threatening as homosexuality [due to the AIDS crisis].)

Interesting that they mentioned Japan. Their culture is very focused on hyper-neoteny, where even inanimate objects are made baby-toy cute. The material culture as symptomatic of rampant asexuality for whatever reason(s).

Anyway! It's nice this place exists!

I'm not ready for a relationship of any kind, and may never be, but it's fun to have read about platonic partnerships. Nice to think that because one is asexual or mostly so, that one needn't be necessarily consigned to a life of loneliness.

Although functionally I'm asexual and likely to remain that way, I think I may actually be a grey, because I do occasionally have sexual dreams, which must mean something somehow, I can't deny it. They're fairly rare, but that they happen must mean something, so I can't call myself all-black.

But either way, I do know I'm asexual and have known it since early adolescence when my cousin and girl friends began obsessing about boys, and I was mystified... and stayed that way for the most part.

I read an article in The Guardian today about AVEN and us. I read the whole thing, but it seemed some important points were missed. I think churches would consider asexuals as bad as homosexuals because in theory we are not procreating sufficiently. Also, if you can't hook us into buying things by making us feel insecure about how "attractive" we are, then we are not a viable target for advertising. This means we are indeed a big threat to society as it functions today, and can expect proportionate prejudice/hatred.

(The article mentioned the researchers not getting enough funds as asexuality is not considered as threatening as homosexuality [due to the AIDS crisis].)

Interesting that they mentioned Japan. Their culture is very focused on hyper-neoteny, where even inanimate objects are made baby-toy cute. The material culture as symptomatic of rampant asexuality for whatever reason(s).

Anyway! It's nice this place exists!

I'm not ready for a relationship of any kind, and may never be, but it's fun to have read about platonic partnerships. Nice to think that because one is asexual or mostly so, that one needn't be necessarily consigned to a life of loneliness.

Just so you know, there's a thread about the article over in World Watch, if you would like to express your thoughts there as well! ^_^

Grim_Reaper's_Apprentice

I'm really glad this thread exists! I'm still not sure whether I'm asexual or demisexual.

@Randidi: I just read that article! Someone posted it on my high school's Gay-Straight Alliance's Facebook page.

• 1 month later...
Sketch Doge

Hi all! Been on the forums for about a week now but thought I would pop in and say hello here!

Haven't traveled over to the main forum yet but the Grey-A sub-forum has been interesting and educational so far.

Archived