Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Member33070

Gray-A, Demisexual, Semisexual, etc. Subforum - THE POLL

Gray-A, Demisexual, Semisexual, etc. Subforum?  

1. 1. Which label most closely fits you, currently?

• Asexual - I do not experience sexual attraction towards anyone
    • Demisexual - I can experience secondary sexual attraction - only with people I have formed a relationship of some kind with
    • Semisexual - I do not experience sexual attraction towards anyone, but I have a libido, and do not identify as asexual for that reason
    • Sexual - I have a "normal" level of sexual attraction and do not identify as "gray"
    • Gray-A - None of the above definitions fit me
  2. 2. Do you believe that AVEN should have a subforum especially for demisexuals, semisexuals, and gray-As?

• Yes.
    • No.
  3. 3. If you ARE in the gray spectrum (hereafter shortened to "grays"), do you hold any of these opinions? Check all that apply

• (I am NOT in the gray spectrum)
    • I do not feel like I "belong" in AVEN
    • I have considered leaving AVEN because I feel left out and not represented
    • I am afraid to say that I am in the gray spectrum
    • I wish I knew more about the gray spectrum
    • I have questions about grayness that I would like to ask other grays
    • I have a hard time finding other grays in AVEN
    • I would like to be able to meet other grays more easily
    • I am fully satisfied with the level of support grays have in AVEN
    • I believe a subforum would HURT us more than HELP us
    • I hold none of these opinions (please explain)
    • I believe a subforum would HELP us more than HURT us
  4. 4. If you are NOT in the gray spectrum, do you hold any of these opinions? Check all that apply

• (I AM in the gray spectrum)
    • I wish I knew more about the gray spectrum
    • I have wondered/am wondering if I am gray and a subforum could have/would help me
    • I have been/am in a relationship with a gray and I would like to ask other grays for help
    • I believe grays have enough support in AVEN
    • I believe a subforum would HURT grays more than HELP them
    • I hold none of these opinions (please explain)
    • I believe a subforum would HELP grays more than HURT them

Member33070

POLL IS NOW CLOSED.

TO ALL WHO VOTED!

Here is a detailed breakdown of the results, in pie chart form!

It's up to the mods now.

*NOTE: The graphs below differ from the graphs above because I initially didn't close the poll properly and two more votes snuck in. I am not counting these because they were past the poll closing time. You have the option of counting them if you so choose, but the graphs below do not include them.

General and compiled graphs:

Should there be a subforum?

poll_yesorno.gif

Labels people identify as:

poll_labels.gif

Compiled: Would a subforum help or hurt?

poll_compiledhelporhurt.gif

* There is a large group of people who did not indicate this either way, for some reason.

*Note: In the compiled graphs, the percentage of grays and non-grays are not balanced out. There is a higher percentage of non-grays than grays here. They are broken down in this fashion because some mods requested the results be displayed showing orientation as well as this opinion.

* Note: By "Did not indicate" it means that there was not an opposing option. This is the number of people who didn't check the answer that there was the option for, implying that they did not have that opinion, and therefore had the opposite opinion.

Compiled: Are grays supported in AVEN?

poll_compiledgraysupport.gif

*Note: In the compiled graphs, the percentage of grays and non-grays are not balanced out. There is a higher percentage of non-grays than grays here. They are broken down in this fashion because some mods requested the results be displayed showing orientation as well as this opinion.

* Note: By "Did not indicate" it means that there was not an opposing option. This is the number of people who didn't check the answer that there was the option for, implying that they did not have that opinion, and therefore had the opposite opinion.

Grays respond:

Do you feel like you belong in AVEN?

poll_graysbelong.gif

Have you considered leaving AVEN because you felt out and not represented?

poll_grayconsideredleaving.gif

Are you afraid to identify in the gray spectrum?

poll_graysafraid.gif

Do you wish you knew more about the gray spectrum?

poll_grayswishknewmore.gif

Do you have questions to ask other grays?

poll_grayswithquestions.gif

Would you like to be able to meet other grays more easily?

poll_graysmeetothergrays.gif

Are you fully satisfied with the level of support grays have in AVEN?

poll_grayssatisfied.gif

Would a subforum help or hurt grays?

poll_grayshelporhurt.gif

Non-grays respond:

Do you wish you knew more about the gray spectrum?

poll_nongrayswishknewmore.gif

Have you ever wondered, or are you wondering if you are gray?

poll_nongraysquestioning.gif

Are you in a relationship with a gray that a subforum could help you with?

poll_nongraysrelationship.gif

Do grays have enough support in AVEN?

poll_nongraysgraysupport.gif

Would a subforum help or hurt the grays?

poll_nongrays_helporhurt.gif

*** If you have any other ideas for useful graphs made from the results, message me and I will make them for you! ***

-------------------------------------------------------

Original poll details, for reference:

Hello everyone!

Recently there has been some discussion going on about creating a subforum (or some sort of discussion section) for the "gray spectrum" (hereafter shortened to "grays"). The "gray spectrum" includes gray-As, demisexuals, semisexuals - essentially, everyone who does not identify as "fully asexual" or "fully sexual".

WHAT A SUBFORUM WOULD LOOK LIKE:

• A "subforum" here refers to a section within AVEN similar to "Older Asexuals" or "For Sexual Partners, Friends and Allies".
  • It could appear on the main page of AVEN forum under the "Asexuality" header and be titled something like "The Gray Area".
  • Members could post any topic relating to grayness, regardless of who they are or what their orientation is, to be answered by anyone - regardless of who they are or what their orientation is. Everyone would be welcome.
  • Having the subforum would allow multiple topics to be posted and organized in a way that members wouldn't have to scroll through hundreds of posts in a single "general" topic to find their answers. This would arguably be more useful to new members and those who have specific questions and would like to find the answers quickly.
  • Anyone who had a new question could simply post a topic and get several answers because it would show up as a new topic instead of as a new post in one topic. This is more visible, as people tend to check for new topics instead of new posts in a single general topic.
  • A forum like this would of course be moderated. Elitism would be strongly discouraged.

More of a visual person? Here's a Photoshopped preview of how it could look and where it could go.

graijsodjoger.jpg

Try to imagine how this can help the community, as well as how it can possibly harm it. Does the help outweigh the harm, or vice versa?

If you are not gray, try putting yourself in a gray's shoes. Look at AVEN and ask:

• "Is this a welcoming environment for grays?"
  • "Would a forum for them divide us or cause problems? If so, HOW?"
  • "Do grays have enough representation?"
  • "Can they easily find community here?"
  • "Would one thread (or even a collection of threads with a stickied "hub" thread for them all) really be enough to cover all the possible topics?"

I have tried to include all of the opinions from the discussion thread so that everyone can give an anonymous opinion. If you have any other input, feel free to post here, in the discussion thread, or even PM me (the envelope under my avatar or the orange link in my signature, your choice).

Thank you!

Member33070

Member33070

Edit: Added a "I believe a subforum would HELP more than HURT" option, placed it at the end of the poll so that it would not change the statistics of any previous votes.

Count at time of addition: 9 votes

MadRat

What the Hell...? This code doesn´t work. It ruined my signature :lol:

Member33070

/

MadRat

*goes to figure out the problem*

*will edit post when figured out*

edit: it doesn't like all squished together code, needs spaces

*goes to fix*

At first, when i copied the whole code, the error was because of more than 12 lines is signature. So I tried to put it more together on less than 12 lines. it didn´t work. When i copied only url without those coloured squares, it wasn´t a link anymore. I will try it with changing into html link.

`Silver

I'm in favor of it, providing gray-A, demi and other people of that kind are as well. :P

I believe there's quite a difference with asexuals and maybe they'd like to have some dedicated space.

MadRat

Hm, it looks nice now but it´s not a link. It must be cursed. :lol:

Guest member25959

This seems awfully familiar :lol:

Uhm, I don;t see any issues with the idea. Gray-A's do fit the category of Asexuality, so it would make sense to atleast have a subforum to discuss issues related to it.

Member33070

/

MadRat

I still don´t get what I´m supposed to do with this link but now it´s so awsome-crazy that everyone have to notice it. :lol:

Fluffy Pink Robot!

I mostly answered this b/c I want to say that, as someone who is still very much questioning his ace-ness (after more than a year of discovering AVEN), I think AVEN is wonderfully welcoming. 8) 8) 8)

Member33070

/

MadRat
Hm, it looks nice now but it´s not a link. It must be cursed. :lol:

Urrrgh. Did you keep all the dashes all put together when you took out the hash mark symbols?

You should be able to copy the code exactly, remove the hash marks, have it be all one long URL, and have it work.

Refresh the page, I made quite a few edits to the post, so it could be an older version that wasn't quite right. It should be fine now.

Sorry, I have no idea what dashes and hash marks are, I´m czech.

Member33070

/

Member33070

/

Member33070

/

MadRat

Sorry, I have no idea what dashes and hash marks are, I´m czech.

Are there any symbols that look like H's with extra lines in your code? Pound signs I think is another term for them?

Button_Phone_pound.gif

Find those (there are four in a row) and make sure that section says "gray-a-demisexual" instead of "gray-a- #### demisexual"

(Perhaps the hash marks don't show up on Czech stuff? *has no idea*)

They were there, I removed them, still no success. OMG! I need to sleep now. *sigh* It´s midnight here and I´m going to paddle on my kayak all day long tomorrow.

Member33070

/

MadRat

They were there, I removed them, still no success. OMG! I need to sleep now. *sigh* It´s midnight here and I´m going to paddle on my kayak all day long tomorrow.

That's okay! I appreciate the efforts! Have fun kayaking! :)

When you get back, just re-copy the code, remove the hash marks, AND remove the space left between the words and dashes (a dash is in the quotes here --> "-") to make sure all the characters are stuck together with no spaces (gaps?) at all.

Ugh, language/culture/word/symbol barriers suck!

Heeey, it works!!! Finally!!! :D

There was one useless space in the end of the first line. I didn´t noticed it.

Member33070

/

Qutenkuddly

I has voted. I voted as identifying as asexual, even though I do possess a libido. It's all about the sexual attraction to someone else, as far as I'm concerned.

Wineblood

I mostly answered this b/c I want to say that, as someone who is still very much questioning his ace-ness (after more than a year of discovering AVEN), I think AVEN is wonderfully welcoming. 8) 8) 8)

Making pretty much the same point here. I've been here a while and I'm still not completely sure and comfortable about my sexuality. If I were asexual, I think I would have got it by now. But as I'm somewhere in the grey and as I sometimes gravitate towards being more ace/sexual, I feel that it is a lot harder to get to the bottom of and deserves its own space to be discussed.

Member33070

/

Member33070

/

zoidberger

I don't think the forum would hurt grey-As, but I don't see a huge point in splitting AVEN into further categories.

Are there any specific reasons as to why you feel a subforum would be helpful? I have questioned whether I'm in the Grey-A range in the past, and I'm fairly sure that I'm asexual, but I never came up with any topic ideas that I couldn't find a place for in AVEN as it exists.

I'm not sure I care one way or the other if the forum is created, but I just am interested to know why one would be helpful. Maybe it'd be more helpful to have people add their "identity" to their signature because a complete carbon copy of a thread specifically for Grey-As sounds like it'd limit the amount of discussion as a whole and, in turn, not add too much.

Member33070

I don't think the forum would hurt grey-As, but I don't see a huge point in splitting AVEN into further categories.

Are there any specific reasons as to why you feel a subforum would be helpful? I have questioned whether I'm in the Grey-A range in the past, and I'm fairly sure that I'm asexual, but I never came up with any topic ideas that I couldn't find a place for in AVEN as it exists.

I'm not sure I care one way or the other if the forum is created, but I just am interested to know why one would be helpful. Maybe it'd be more helpful to have people add their "identity" to their signature because a complete carbon copy of a thread specifically for Grey-As sounds like it'd limit the amount of discussion as a whole and, in turn, not add too much.

It's hard to imagine exactly what could go in there, since it's never existed before. But...I thought of some things, copying this from the discussion thread, edited a bit.

• Defining gray-A - sticky?
  • Defining demisexuality - sticky?
  • Defining other forms of grayness - sticky?
  • How to tell if you are gray/demi - and not ace or sexual - differs from definition, because it would be topics like "Am I gray?" (yes, I fully expect to get those)
  • What exactly is sexual attraction like for a gray/demi, and does it differ from a sexual's sexual attraction in any way? - Basically, learning what sexual attraction is from a gray standpoint, where things are split up into romantic and sexual, and there's "limits"
  • "Coming out" as a gray - is it important? How to do it?
  • Visibility for grays and cooperating with aces and other groups
  • Where do we fit in the spectrum - "levels" of grayness - mapping it out
  • Dealing with "boundaries" - understanding a gray has limits, where they are - not necessarily just in relationships (ie, limits with libido, sexual attraction, etc)
  • Explaining grayness to sexuals and that it's not full sexuality and why - ie, coming out, relationships, discussions like in the "For Sexuals" threads
  • Explaining grayness to asexuals and how it's not really all that sexual - trying to work on the "grays are squicky" feeling that some may have
  • Helping repulsed grays who want to try to work past it to be comfier with themselves and their sexuality
  • Helping people feel that it's "okay to be gray" and they don't need to be perfectly ace or perfectly sexual - since many grays identify as being asexual or sexual since they don't feel comfortable with who they are as a gray person
  • How do we fit in with the LGBT (since asexuals worry about this a lot, is it "easier" for grays?)
  • Relationships - tips for the gray, tips about the gray (so that it's not necessary to straddle the asexual and sexual threads to learn about boundaries - asexual side - as well as the sexual topics - sexual side)

So it's basically up to you guys if you think this warrants its own forum or not, or if these things fit in the other forums or not. I feel like any of these topics could probably go into what we already have, but they stick out like a sore thumb and would be much easier to find if they were organized into one section.

Kisa the Kit Kat

I am a grey-a and a grey-romantic and I voted against the subforum for two reasons.

1) As far as my sexual orientation goes, I've felt more uncomfortable disclosing my romantic orientation as a grey-romantic than as a grey-asexual. I do recognize that there are issues that we as grey-as deal with, but to me personally they are secondary to the issues that I face on the romantic front. This is mainly due to the fact that if somebody blasts me for being a grey-a, I know there will be a BUNCH of people up in arms about it. But if I talk about being a grey romantic...I feel pretty much alone.

2) I also don't like the idea of splitting AVEN up where it doesn't need to be split. I feel comfortable posting about grey stuff (both romantic and sexual) over the boards. I don't think that it is vital for me to have a subforum where I talk about my greyness in any aspect. Also, from a personal standpoint, I'd feel less comfortable on the other parts of the board (Muserants, Q&A, etc) because I would feel like I need to stick to my own space. I know it's a silly thing to feel...but I can't help that.

I'm sorry, I just can't get behind this.

Wineblood

I don't understand why people are saying it will be a split, it wont. It's not like all the greys are going to hide in there exclusively and all other people will be unwelcome there. I think the idea here is to have a space where we can put and discuss things that aren't clear cut asexuality or that they don't really belong in any other subforum.

Kisa the Kit Kat

I don't understand why people are saying it will be a split, it wont. It's not like all the greys are going to hide in there exclusively and all other people will be unwelcome there. I think the idea here is to have a space where we can put and discuss things that aren't clear cut asexuality or that they don't really belong in any other subforum.

The thing I'm saying is that if I have a gray a topic regarding relationships, I'd put it in asexual relationships. If I had a question about demisexuality, it'd be in Q&A. A thread discussing grey-as would fit in muserants.

I really don't think this would be helpful and I think it would hurt us more in the longrun. However, I do think a pinned thread about grey-as would be a great tool for everybody.