THREE new asexuality papers!

Sennkestra

So, the most recent issue of the journal "sexualities" had not one, but three new "themed essays on asexuality". Out of nine articles total. Not bad for us one-percenters. I for one am excited :D

1) There's more to life than sex? Difference and commonality within the asexual community - Mark Carrigan

( http://sex.sagepub.com/content/14/4/462.full.pdf )

Abstract: Asexuality is becoming ever more widely known and yet it has received relatively little attention from within sociology. Research in the area poses particular challenges because of the relatively recent emergence of the asexual community, as well as the expanding array of terms and concepts through which asexuals articulate their differences and affirm their commonalities. This article presents the initial findings of a mixed-methods research project, which involved semi-structured interviews, online questionnaires and a thematic analysis of online materials produced by members of the asexual community. The aim was to understand self-identified asexuals in their own terms so as to gain understanding of the lived experience of asexuals, as well as offering a subjectively adequate grounding for future research in the area.

Keywords: asexuality, community, difference, identity, sex, sexuality

2) Asexuality in disability narratives - Eunjung Kim

( http://sex.sagepub.com/content/14/4/479.full.pdf )

Abstract: This essay explores normative regulations of disabled people’s sexuality and its relationship with asexuality through narratives of disabled individuals. While asexuality has been persistently criticized as a damaging myth imposed on disabled people, individuals with disabilities who do not identify as sexual highlight the inseparable intersection between normality and sexuality. Disabled and asexual identity and its narratives reveal that asexuality is an embodiment neither to be eliminated, nor to be cured, and is a way of living that may or may not change. Claims for the sexual rights of desexualized minority groups mistakenly target asexuality and endorse a universal and persistent presence of sexual desire. The structurally and socially enforced asexuality and desexualization are distinguished from an asexual embodiment and perspective disidentifying oneself from sexuality.

Keywords: asexuality, autism, compulsory sexuality, desexualization, disability, asexual embodiment

3) Crisis and safety: The asexual in sexusociety - Ela Przybylo

( http://sex.sagepub.com/content/14/4/444.full.pdf )

Abstract: This article provides a discussion of the implications that asexuality, as an identity category emerging in the West, carries for sexuality. Asexuality provides an exciting forum for revisiting questions of sexual normativity and examining those sex acts which are cemented to appear ‘natural’ through repetition, in the discursive system of sexusociety. Drawing especially on feminist and postmodern theories, I situate asex- uality as both a product of and reaction against our sexusocial, disoriented postmodern here and now. This article also addresses the question of whether or not, and on what terms, asexuality may be considered a resistance against sexusociety.

Keywords: asexuality, performativity, postmodernity, sexusociety, transgression

I'm SO putting these on my Kindle so I can read them. I was looking just last week for articles and papers on Asexuality but I found little...

Thanks very much for sharing!

Edit: Wait, a paywall? D:

I'm SO putting these on my Kindle so I can read them. I was looking just last week for articles and papers on Asexuality but I found little...

Thanks very much for sharing!

Edit: Wait, a paywall? D:

ack, forgot that people might not be able to access them. Do you or a friend have access to a library/university network? You may be able to access it from there if the institution subscribes. If I have time later this week I may post quotes/summaries. Or someone else could step up if they have time?

Also, if you want to look at more academic articles on asexuality, there is a list here - http://www.asexualexplorations.net/home/extantresearch.html

for lighter fare, there are links to print media articles on asexuality here - http://www.asexuality.org/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Media_in_Print_Form

sinisterporpoise

There's a fourth paper that doesn't deal with Asexuality specifically but may be of interest to Asexuals.

By the way, Mark Carrigan and Ela Plyzboro were working on a site called asexualstudies.org. It does not seem to be online right now...

Sweet. They're all in Issue 4 of Volume 14 of Sexualities, by the by. Which, obviously, is the latest one.

If you're at all interested in the papar on asexuality and disabilities, you may like

Milligan, Maureen S. and Aldred H. Neufeldt

2001 'The Myth of Asexuality: A Survey of Social and Empirical Evidence'. Sexuality and Disability 19 (2):91-109

There's a fourth paper that doesn't deal with Asexuality specifically but may be of interest to Asexuals.

By the way, Mark Carrigan and Ela Plyzboro were working on a site called asexualstudies.org. It does not seem to be online right now...

it's there, it just never really got started - most of it is still a blank wordpress template. I think it was publicity for a book about asexuality that's in the works - supposed to come out in 2012? Publication was delayed, so i don't know what the status of that project is right now.

sinisterporpoise

it's there, it just never really got started - most of it is still a blank wordpress template. I think it was publicity for a book about asexuality that's in the works - supposed to come out in 2012? Publication was delayed, so i don't know what the status of that project is right now.

There is, as far as I know, no news about a book. Carrigan e-mailed me to tell me about the site. I must have the address wrong. The most recent information I have is that the site will be up by October to correspond with the British University schedules.

There is, as far as I know, no news about a book. Carrigan e-mailed me to tell me about the site. I must have the address wrong. The most recent information I have is that the site will be up by October to correspond with the British University schedules.

WWhat I'm thinking of is this - http://asexualitystudies.org/book/

The site seems to have been made by/ is associated with Ela Plyzboro and Carrigan, or at least it was. But I'm wondering if maybe that was a test run that never got completed, and the actual website is to come later?

But this is the one that was mentioned in the asexualitystudies listserv in may. What's happened since then, I don't know.

I don't remember where I heard about the date, though. Maybe I'm just imagining that. I don't actually know how far along the book in the publication/writing process, or if that project is even still going. I haven't really heard any updates since may.

But in the meantime Bogaert's book on asexuality is available for preorder and I am excited, so that will satisfy my asexual book cravings.

sinisterporpoise

WWhat I'm thinking of is this - http://asexualitystudies.org/book/

The site seems to have been made by/ is associated with Ela Plyzboro and Carrigan, or at least it was. But I'm wondering if maybe that was a test run that never got completed, and the actual website is to come later?

But this is the one that was mentioned in the asexualitystudies listserv in may. What's happened since then, I don't know.

I don't remember where I heard about the date, though. Maybe I'm just imagining that. I don't actually know how far along the book in the publication/writing process, or if that project is even still going. I haven't really heard any updates since may.

But in the meantime Bogaert's book on asexuality is available for preorder and I am excited, so that will satisfy my asexual book cravings.

No, you're right they were working on a book. I just found it in my saved e-mails.

• 3 months later...

I am fortunate to have had university access to these three articles and really liked them. Anymore news on the book?

I haven't heard anything new about a book from asexual studies.

However, there are a couple other books that are scheduled to come out over the next few months:

-listings for a book called "Understanding Asexuality" by Anthony Bogaert (a prominent researcher of asexuality) have gone up on amazon. The scheduled release date is March 16, 2012.

Asexuality can be defined as an enduring lack of sexual attraction. Thus, asexual individuals do not find (and perhaps never have) others sexually appealing. Some consider “asexuality” as a fourth category of sexual orientation, distinct from heterosexuality, homosexuality, or bisexuality. However, there is also recent evidence that the label “asexual” may be used in a broader way than merely as “a lack of sexual attraction.” People who say they have sexual attraction to others, but indicate little or no desire for sexual activity are also self-identifying as asexual. Distinct from celibacy, which refers to sexual abstinence by choice where sexual attraction and desire may still be present, asexuality is experienced by those having a lack or sexual attraction or a lack of sexual desire.

More and more, those who identify as asexual are “coming out,” joining up, and forging a common identity. The time is right for a better understanding of this sexual orientation, written by an expert in the field who has conducted studies on asexuality and who has provided important contributions to understanding asexuality. This timely resource will be one of the first books written on the topic for general readers, and the first to look at the historical, biological, and social aspects of asexuality. It includes first-hand accounts throughout from people who identify as asexual. The study of asexuality, as it contrasts so clearly with sexuality, also holds up a lens and reveals clues to the mystery of sexuality.

-In addition, another book called Sexual Minority Research in the New Millennium from Nova publishers is currently at press and should be available sometime soon (exact date unknown). It features two articles on asexuality:

-“How Do You Know You Don’t Like It If You Haven’t Tried It?” Asexual Agency and the Sexual Assumption (Mark A. Carrigan)

-Asexuality: An Emergent Sexual Orientation (Stephanie B. Gazzola & Melanie A. Morrison)

Mark Carrigan is also listed as an editor for the second book, and he is one of the main contributors to asexualstudies, so I don't know how it relates to earlier mentions of a book.

I finally get to a University... and we don't have access to this repository. RAAAAAGE

-“How Do You Know You Don’t Like It If You Haven’t Tried It?” Asexual Agency and the Sexual Assumption (Mark A. Carrigan)

-Asexuality: An Emergent Sexual Orientation (Stephanie B. Gazzola & Melanie A. Morrison)

thanks for these two articles!

I realize many of you would like to know some of the content but don't have access... :( Would people appreciate it if I posted some interesting quotes? Or would I be breaking the law or something? Obviously I'd credit the sources.

My favorite piece so far has been the theoretical work of Ela Przybylo.