Aritcle published in Ubyssey Magazine

Candice Vallantin

Candice Vallantin

Hello everyone!
I recently wrote an article in the Ubyssey Magazine, which is the main publication for the University of British Columbia. You can read this article if you like at this link:
http://www.ubyssey.bc.ca/20050128/article....asexuality.html
If that doesn't work simply go to www.ubyssey.bc.ca and click on the "feature"link and you will find the article.
Thanks to everyone from AVEN who allowed me to speak to them, you were all a great help, and I couldn't have written it without this site.
Candice Vallantin

2013 Mod Edit: The above link doesn't take you to the right page anymore, but Ubyssey archived the article! You can now find it clicking here.

Live R Perfect

That was an interesting article! Thanks for posting it Candice. And thanks to Keith and DJ for being interviewed :wink: :vis:

I'm going to get some "OMG Inkburrow u r fascist!!1!" replies for this, but whatever.

”Anyone who uses the term asexual to describe themselves,” he told me, “and find is useful to do so is asexual.”

And I'm a black Christian Communist! Nevermind the fact that I'm the palest person I've met, don't believe in God, and think capitalism is the only moral economic system -- I find it useful to describe myself with those terms!

Not a criticism of the article, and maybe David was taken out of context, but that particular idea bothers me immensely.

”Anyone who uses the term asexual to describe themselves,” he told me, “and find is useful to do so is asexual.”

And I'm a black Christian Communist! Nevermind the fact that I'm the palest person I've met, don't believe in God, and think capitalism is the only moral economic system -- I find it useful to describe myself with those terms!

Hmm, you might have a point. (goes off and thinks)

biggreenmonkey

OMG inkburrow!!!!!1111!!!!!!!111!!! Jebus shall smiteth thee, u racist, anti semitic, homophobic, heterophobic, chirophobic SOB!!!1!!!1!11eleventyone

However, on a more serious note, I don't think there's anything wrong with that comment. I mean, until being asexual becomes trendy (like being a bi chick) I doubt there will be huge abuses.

Ink- So I'll test ideas like that in small university publications to see how they run. It's a bit abstract, but I believe it.

Taking your example- if, indeed, you find it useful to describe yourself as a black christian communist then I don't think anyone is in the position to tell you you can't. I would sincerely hope that, should you feel the need to be involved in the black, christian of communist communities they would be open to your involvement and willing to value the reasons why you chose to adopt those labels. Even if, in the end, you and those communities don't get along they dont' have the right to take those labels away from you.

To alot of people us identifying as asexual seems rediculous: they flat out don't believe us and make up arbitrary reasons why we're "really" the way we are. If someone who genuinely believes themselves to be asexual is going to come to us, even if they're not what we would associate with the idea of asexuality, then it seems prudent to at least hear them out. Ultimately people chose their own identities, and unless there is a compelling reason not to I'm a fan of acknowledging the identities that people chose for themselves.

I, for one, was very pleased with the article (not only because I was described as, oh, how did she put it again? Oh, yes, I am an "articulate, witty man". 8) I could take that kind of publicity all day! :lol: ). I was rather nervous at being interviewed and using my own name to boot, but it was very well done -- much higher quality, IMHO, than some of the stories that have run in so-called professional publications. I really expected to be disturbed by something that I read, and I wasn't. Not even DJ's comment. I happen to agree with him. Sexuality is a very personal, nebulous concept to begin with. If it helps a person to use the term "asexual", then they should; there are no tests for the validation of the claim, after all.

VivreEstEsperer

I just read it - great article, Candance! A lot of information organized very well. Good job!

Archived