Romantic Orientation for Agendered/Genderless People

cthuvianace

cthuvianace

How do the words for romantic orientation work for an agendered/genderless person?

For example, if an agendered person is attracted only to women, what is their romantic orientation? Heteroromantic and homoromantic don't seem to apply.

Or what about an agendered person attracted to one gender, and other agendered people? They wouldn't really be panromantic, since they exclude several gender identities from their romantic scope.

*confused*

ignoranceisn'tbliss

Well, on the AVEN wiki, there is gynosexual and androsexual listed. Even though gynoromantic and androromantic aren't listed I think they'd be appropriate as terms for one gender or the other. I don't know what kind of label would be used for someone that is attracted to agendered people or a combination of different genders, which is one of the problems with labels.

If you're romantically attracted to several but not all genders, you could the label "polyromantic." It doesn't specify which genders you are attracted to, but it still gets the main point across.

It almost seems like the label "homoromatic" could be applied to an agendered person who is attracted to other agendered people. Then again, homoromaticism is being romantically attracted to people of the same gender, so since agendered people in a sense have no gender at all, the definition is a bit flawed. There must be a better prefix - it's just a matter of finding it... :/

You raise an excellent question, something I've wondered myself. If I am androgynous but am romantically piqued by the spectrum of other agenders/androgynes to females, what do you call that?

It almost seems like the label "homoromatic" could be applied to an agendered person who is attracted to other agendered people. Then again, homoromaticism is being romantically attracted to people of the same gender, so since agendered people in a sense have no gender at all, the definition is a bit flawed. There must be a better prefix - it's just a matter of finding it... :/

Indeed!

The Vampire Queen

I've never thought about this before...

**goes off to wonder what i should call myself now**

Or what about an agendered person attracted to one gender, and other agendered people? They wouldn't really be panromantic, since they exclude several gender identities from their romantic scope.

*confused*

Then they would be biromantic.

Member33070

I asked a similar thing a while back. It seems we don't have many widely-used terms at the moment.

Here's the best answer I got there for what you're curious about.

Androphilia and gynephilia are the words used to describe a sexual attraction to only men or women, respectively. Originally Androphilia was used to refer to male feelings for other men, but because it denotes the object of the attraction without mentioning the sex or gender of the one who is attracted, it is currently being (rightfully) used to describe anyone who is attracted exclusively to men. Gynephilia is much the same, but denotes someone who is attracted exclusively to women.

Because the "-philia/philic" ending denotes sexual attraction, we would just have to substitute "romantic" to clarify that the term is being used for just romantic attraction. . . But I think "andromantic" and "gyneromantic" aren't used widely- if at all- yet.

If you're romantically attracted to several but not all genders, you could the label "polyromantic."

The "poly-" prefix is usually associated with non-monogamous relationships, if I'm not wrong. Panromantic would be best in such cases.

Else, androromantic and gyneromantic would do too.

If you're romantically attracted to several but not all genders, you could the label "polyromantic."

The "poly-" prefix is usually associated with non-monogamous relationships, if I'm not wrong. Panromantic would be best in such cases.

Else, androromantic and gyneromantic would do too.

True, though in such cases, I've almost always heard it referred to as "polyamorous" (though technically there's no difference between the two words). The reason I suggested polyromantic instead of panromantic was that "poly-" means several while "pan-" means all, so if someone was only romantically attracted to females and agendered people, for example, the term "panromantic" wouldn't really apply to them, as they're not romantically attracted to all genders. I'd be hesitant to use the term "biromantic" in such a case as well, for that means being romantically attracted to two genders, but with agendered people being genderless, it doesn't quite work. I suppose it still gets the point across, though.

The Vampire Queen

The reason I suggested polyromantic instead of panromantic was that "poly-" means several while "pan-" means all, so if someone was only romantically attracted to females and agendered people, for example, the term "panromantic" wouldn't really apply to them, as they're not romantically attracted to all genders. I'd be hesitant to use the term "biromantic" in such a case as well, for that means being romantically attracted to two genders, but with agendered people being genderless, it doesn't quite work. I suppose it still gets the point across, though.

I thought about that as well. I'm genderless and I consider myself biromantic. An identity of genderless or agendered is still a gender identity, the term biromantic refers to being attracted to two genders. Therefore, I think using biromantic to describe an agendered person who like males and other agendered people, for example, is accurate.

• 1 month later...
5_♦♣

I'm a transmasculine demigirl, sapioromantic Ace. Of course, that's just me, obviously.

Here's my take on this;

Androromantic - Romantically attracted to males, regardless of your personal gender.

Gyneromantic - Romantically attracted to females, regardless of your personal gender.

Neutroiromantic - Romantically attracted to Agender/Neutrois people, regardless of your personal gender.

Androgyneromantic - Romantically attracted to androgynous people, or aspects of male and female, regardless of your personal gender.

Andro-Gyneromantic - Romantically attracted to both males and females (as separate entities) regardless of your personal gender.

Panromantic - Romantically attracted to all/any gender, regardless of your personal gender.

Manifoldromantic (best-sounding word for multiple to me) - Romantically attracted to multiple or many genders, but not all genders.

Heteroromantic - Being romantically attracted to the gender opposite my own personal gender.

Homoromantic - Being romantically attracted to the gender which is the same as my own personal gender.

Biromantic - Being romantically attracted to males and females, but no other genders.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm agendered, and I identify as aromantic because I don't feel the NEED for a romantic relationship. But if I ever fall in love, okay then. I don't think about it much.

I don't really agree with the dating system. I mean, I wouldn't delibrately seek a partner, nor do I find the idea of multiple partners appealing.

To me, I honestly don't care about gender. I can't decide whether I'm aromantic or panromantic, actually.

Archived