Tha mise ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig; neach eile?

Anna Nomaly

Anna Nomaly

Just curious to know if there's anyone else around who knows any Gaelic. (Though, given the small numbers of both aces and Gaelic speakers, I really shouldn't be surprised if there's not much overlap.)

I took a year of Irish about three years ago and remember very little. (Just very important phrases like "Tá ocras orm" and "Tá tuirse orm," which fill up the margins on a lot of my class notes, haha.) I was going to try and relearn everything this summer, but stupidly left everything but my dictionary in storage at school. So alas.

SexNotHaver

Is that Scottish Gaelic you're speaking? I really wish I'd kept up Irish at school :(

well, here in ireland we study it all through our school years, so we can understand it but don't generally speak it to each other...although its not exactly the same as scottish they are (as far as i can tell) close enough to understand each other, at least when written ;)

have some cáca milis :cake: :cake:

I took a year of Irish about three years ago and remember very little.

I took 13 years of Irish about nine years ago and remember very little. :D

Anna Nomaly

Yes, it's Scottish. I'm sorry, I should have been more specific; I know Irish is a lot more common. Honestly it doesn't make much difference to me--being in the middle of the U.S. makes it awfully rare to come across either one.

well, here in ireland we study it all through our school years, so we can understand it but don't generally speak it to each other...although its not exactly the same as scottish they are (as far as i can tell) close enough to understand each other, at least when written ;)

have some cáca milis :cake: :cake:

I can indeed usually make sense of written Irish. I have a short novel I look at periodically, but even if it were Scottish instead of Irish it would still be beyond my level of proficiency. Oh well, maybe someday when I'm fluent...

Thanks for the cèic; gabh thu-fhèin feadhainn! :cake::cake:

Archived