How many relationships are/have you been in?

How many relationships are/have you been in?  

1. 1. How many relationships are/have you been in?

• None, and I don't want any at all.
    • None, but I'd like to be in one someday.
    • Just one.
    • Two.
    • Three.
    • Four or more and/or I am polyamorous
  2. 2. What's your age?

• 13 or under (born 1998 or later)
    • 14 or 15 (born 1996 or 1997)
    • 16 or 17 (born 1994 or 1995)
    • 18 to 20 (born 1991 to 1993)
    • 21 to 24 (born 1987 to 1990)
    • 25 to 28 (born 1983 to 1986)
    • 29 to 35 (born 1976 to 1982)
    • 35 to 50 (born 1961 to 1975)
    • 51 or above (born 1960 or prior)
  3. 3. For asexuals who have been in one or more relationships already: was asexuality the main reason for your breakup?

• Yes
    • Yes, but there were other causes too
    • No
    • I'm not asexual
    • I've never been in a relationship

This poll is closed to new votes

25 years old. I've been in one relationship, but twice (with the same person, so I count it as one). Both break ups were due to my asexuality (I didn't know about this term back then, so I couldn't explain what's wrong, whereas she was very sexual).

Two of my relationships were affected by my sexuality, one of which I'm still in. The rest may have been indirectly affected, but I was not aware of the affect, so it's hard to say...

Star Burton

Defining relationship as "deep and personal relationship on a romantic level, sexual or non, official or non," I've had 7, two (maybe three) currently active but not sexual. My sexuality had noting to do with any of them ending.

• 2 weeks later...

Polyamorous, aged 38, had two relationships in the sense of "primary" partnerships. The first one broke up over my partner being extremely dishonest to me in regards to her behavior, and I would not put up with her lying to me; my asexuality was not a major factor in it. The second one is still going on today (four years and running), and works fine with both of us knowing I'm asexual and she isn't.

I had maybe half a dozen relationships, none of which were long term, in fact the longest relationship only lasted 28 days, by then I knew I didn't want sex & we never had sex, all my past relationships broke up as all the women I went with cheated on me. I only ever had 2 sexual partners, both of those before the age of 19, I didn't enjoy my sexual experiences with either of them, I could probably count on one hand how many times I had sex, I knew it wasn't for me, I was glad when it was over & done with, I didn't enjoy it, now I know that I'm never going to have sex again because I physically can't have sex, it comes as a relief.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never been in a relationship, but I think I'd like to be in a relationship of sorts one day. But more of a romantic companionship than a romantic relationship, if that makes any sense at all. Which it probably doesn't. Ah well.

I've been in a relationship (if you could call it that). It was an online relationship that lasted four or five months.

He started to talk about sex for all the time and I was not able to bear the situation anymore so I said him goodbye.

At that time I didn't know yet of the existence of asexuals and to be part of this community.

*deleted*

Oops. I posted in the wrong thread:D I should sleep more. :D

I've never been in a relationship, but I think I'd like to be in a relationship of sorts one day. But more of a romantic companionship than a romantic relationship, if that makes any sense at all. Which it probably doesn't. Ah well.

My thoughts exactly. (I think)

I have more of an interest in meeting someone who I can do stuff with/live with/share life with as if they were a sibling rather than think about the excess worries of a proper relationship.

Me being an only child might have something to do with it though.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in my early 30's and I've never been in a reloationship or even on a date, though I would very much like to have one someday; a romantic relationship built on a positive emotional connection ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 23, and I've only been in one relationship. It lasted nearly 5 years, from when I was 16 to 20/21 ish. It didn't end because of my grey-A though. I'd like to be in a relationship, but it's hard for me to meet new people and trust new people.

• 3 weeks later...
WhenSummersGone

I've only been with 1 person that was close to a relationship. It didn't end because of sex though. I've dated other guys but the last guy was the longest I've been with.

Four relationships. Age 26. Only one really ended over asexuality though I didn't know I was asexual at the time.

Possible light TMI

1) I was 15, I adored him, met online. He lived in England, we met IRL and my mother let me stay with his family for 6 months. We were both too young to handle a serious relationship though, especially serious long distance. We stayed friends and always will be. He was my first kiss, first love and first guy I had sex with. I didn't like sex physically but the emotional high from being close to him masked that.

2) I was 16, a few months out of the previous break up. I had met this guy right after the break up and he expressed interest but I told him I needed time. He waited. Our relationship was physical and a lot of his personality annoyed me. He was clingy, needy and followed me around like a puppy. We had sex a lot but to me it felt hollow and I didn't get what all the fuss was about, I kept trying to get that mind blowing feeling people talked about and all I got was "eh thats it?"... probably should have clued me in heh. I broke it off because I didn't like sex much and it felt hollow, so I will blame asexuality there.

3) I was 17, nearly 18, moved in with this guy who lived near NYC. Guy asks a small town girl with a bad family life to move right outside NYC it is tempting. I met a lot of interesting people, saw broadway, got to visit a country club, had a maid and fell in love with his family and got to make gift baskets for celebs. But, I didn't love HIM. So, I broke it off when I realized my feelings weren't what they should be. I was a trophy to him anyways, he was heavy and liked to show me off so had me wear skimpy clothes. Bleh. I do miss his Mom and broadway though! And the maid was kinda nice... asexuality had nothing to do with it. I thought my lack of interest in sex there was due to his BDSM fetish.

4) Current relationship. He is older (40) and very sexual. Sex is a major issue between us because 3-4 times a week is a strain on him, he wants it daily. But we have a working compromise, so far. Asexuality will probably be a major factor if we do break up. We were together 5 years before I told him I was asexual, but I didn't know what that was before then. I had warned him my interest in sex was low, but he apparently thought it was due to my age (I was 19 when we started talking).

earlymorningechoes

I'm eighteen and have had two relationships. The first one was when I was fifteen and lasted a year, ended right after my first kiss because I was shocked I didn't really like it and didn't feel the same way about him as he did about me. I think that may have been part of my asexuality, but I'd never heard the term and at that point was denying anything other than 'straight' existed.

The second was about six months ago, only lasted for six weeks and I'm dead certain that he broke up with me because he thought I was too childish because I wouldn't kiss him. So yeah, even if kissing isn't really a 'sexual' thing (neither one of these guys ever pressured me for sex, both have pledged to be abstinent), I think my aversion to/disinterest in kissing was a factor in both of the breakups, so I marked 'yes'.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been in long-term relationships four times. The longest (and most recent) lasted over three years, ending a month after the two of us were engaged to be married. All four women were uncomfortable with the fact that I didn't seem to be interested in sex, and two of them mentioned it as a major reason for leaving me.

• 1 month later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Lady Girl, Moderator

Archived