AVEN Chat Room (Link to Chat Room Inside)

Nugan

Some of you might remember that a few months ago I made a post stating that I ran another community based site, that we were getting chats set up, and that I was willing to offer AVEN a room if one was wanted. Well, between then and now there were a bunch of snags, including having to change our chat provider, but our chats are now up.

With that in mind, I was wondering if AVEN would like me to set up a room. I was told by Jeremy that starting a thread in this forum would be a good way to see if the interest in having a chat room is there, so that's why I'm posting this.

If you want to check out what the chats look like, go to www.dykal.net/chat1.html. I haven't set up an AVEN specific room yet, because I wanted to get an okay first, but you should be able to see how everything works anyway. I can create a room as soon as I'm given the okay by an AVEN Admin (or AVENguy if only he can make the decision).

That said, there are a few things that probably need to be taken into concideration. Our site does have another purpose (its a freeform role-playing site), so some stragglers from other rooms might wander in from time to time. Also, we have a very loose code of conduct, and I won't be able to add Aven's mods to the room, because then they would have Mod power over the rest of the site, which could create problems. I don't see this as a big deal, since most of my site's members aren't likely to give Aven members any trouble, but I felt I should mention it anyway.

If you have any questions/comments, I'll be more than happy to respond.

Thanks for your time.

Interesting... I'd be interested in an AVEN chat, but the link you posted doesn't seem to work for me... I'll check again in a few minutes though. So, short version, I'm in favor of one.

Hmm, the link works for me.

Does it not load at all or does the chat box in the middle just not load? If its the latter, it might be something with Java on your computer.

Works now (-:รพ

I sometimes have this problem (I think my ISP doesn't update their cache often, so this often happens that I cant link to a new site, then I can after five minutes.)

Hey Nugan!

It's a good idea but i don't know how much I'd use it.

The link doesn't work well for me either. The entire left side of the site doesn't load for me - and I don't usually have problems with Java. I'll try again later as well.

I think it would be a cool idea... assuming that more than one person is on it at a time!

The link doesn't work well for me either. The entire left side of the site doesn't load for me - and I don't usually have problems with Java. I'll try again later as well.

The left side would probably be were the chat box is.

Is it the entire left half of the screen that doesn't load, or just a box on the left side?

If its the entire left side, then that's a really strange error, and I'm not sure what would cause it.

Dargon,

What plugin did you download? How did you know which one? Usually my puter tells me what to do, but not this time...

Nugan,

It was the big box on the left side.

Nugan, you do not need permission but if you really want it I will give it to you.

*gives you permission*

I use firefox, the box to left, where the chat window appears, said "click to download plugin." So I did. It was from somewhere at http://java.com, try spockjr's link, otherwise browse the java page until perhaps you find something.

:lol:

Thanks.

I opened up the room.

Using the pull down menu below the Username/Password boxes when you log in (or the pulldown bar on the lower right of the chat box if your already logged in) just select the room named OOC:_Aven_(Asexuality).

The OOC tag is just to diferentiate it from the other rooms.

Once again, if you have any questions, just ask.

Whee! Firefox rocks!! (-:รพ

Random avenite: Spock, have you been eating the horde of welcome cake?

Me: ummmmm, no?

r.a.: Then why are you so hyper? You're acting like you ate a box of sugar.

me: uh, well, see, the thing about that, HEY LOOK OVER THERE!!! (runs away)

Wait a minute ... a chatroom ... full of people ... who aren't trying to get me to cyber with them? I-I don't understand... How can I use my wit against them?

*ahem* I mean, this is a great idea!

After messing around with the chats a little, I realized that the registration system might confuse some people. (It confused me at first, because I had just been logging in with a name I already had registered from our boards.)

Here's how you do it:

Enter the username you want in the "Username" box and then hit the "Register" button. Then agree to the Registration Agreement, and fill out the form.

If you don't put a name in the Username box first you'll get a "This screename already exists" error.

I'm not sure why this is, since you have to re-enter the name again when you fill out the registration form, but its the only way it will work.

Ok, I finally got it. Thanks spockjr for the directions :D .

Here is my concern - On every other board I've been a member of, if the chat room wasn't actually part of the site, hardly anyone was there. It was tried with a link the another site and, while initially interest was high, it quickly fell off.

But I don't know that it matters Nugan. We could give it a try and see how it goes. Would DJ be willing to put up a link?

I think if a link was put up, as you suggested, it would help keep the chats associated with the site and help newer members find them, so I'm all for it if AVENguy feels that its a good idea.

Cait and I are in the chats talking now, and a few other members have come and gone throughout the day. I'm going to be in pretty much all night since I'm doing my school work for tommorrow in front of the computer, so it shouldn't be empty if anyone wants to stop in.

I've just popped in and its working, but there's no-one else there. I'll try to keep it logged in for a while in case anyone else turns up...

i have pizza! pizza in the chatroom everyone!

(goes into chatroom after work (at 4am, my timezone... six hours after this post) and no one's there.... a lingering smell of old pizza and spilled soft drinks fills the air) Hello....? (-:รพ

I tried the chat tonight. Nugan, it works very well indeed - thanks for setting it up. I had a chat with Karl (Liver), and YP, who were in at that time, and it was good. I will be having a look back in later tonight, and my most convenient times are around 8.30 in the evenings onwards. I recommend it for anyone who likes chat rooms, it's a good facility and would be good to see more of us there.

Thanks again Nugan, I could quite become a regular. Catch you yourself at some stage I hope. In the Greenwich meantime I need to update myself on our forums, and have a look round.

Cheers,

Kev

~~~~~~

Archived