Matt Smith claims the Doctor is Asexual

caffeinatedangel

caffeinatedangel

Hopefully this hasn't been posted yet, I checked but didn't see anything. Sorry if it's a double-post!

I found this interesting as there's always been a debate regarding the Doctor's sexuality. Matt Smith, at least views and plays the Doctor as an asexual.

Here's the link:

The Doctor Doesn't Like Sex, Would Prefer to Play Chess

Asexy Existentialist

1) Daisy must die.

2) Why is there no picture of Matt?

3) YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Haha, "rather play chess than have sex". No I'm wishing I hadn't heard that chess has been used as an allegory for having sex in the Shakespearean times.

Actually, it was strongly hinted at in the Classic series, too, which they somehow managed to do even though the First Doctor had a grandchild and the Doctor consistently grows upset when asked about children. He was never interested in sex. The Eighth Doctor kissed a man, but only once, and it was a sort of asexual, bromancy kiss. XD

The British seem to like their heros asexual. Think of Sherlock Holmes... :wub:

And l'm SO sorry. That was a terrible nerd-out. :redface:

YES! Ahahahahahaha!

Now if only the writers would stop trying to make him explicitly sexual. I think Matt Smith gets around it by playing any hints of sexuality as boyish and giggly, like he's just flattered that people seem to think of him that way but also a little bit overwhelmed and addlepated. Look at his interactions with River Song - she likes him, he mostly just seems to like that she likes him.

The asexuality of the Doctor character probably began because the BBC didn't want a show that children watched to be sexual. It was prudishness rather than characterisation. But now I think it fits in with his 'alien' personality, that he doesn't really connect much with humans even though he likes them.

matt smith is an actor of a fictional character

Obvious poster is being obvious.

mad_scientist

To be fair, he doesn't have much of a pool of eligible mates unless he's interested in aliens.

the Lady Ashuko

YEEESSS! In this regeneration I see him as asexual and I'm glad to see Smith feels the same way.

I was so happy when he said that. Matt Smith keep being amazing <3

Haha, "rather play chess than have sex". No I'm wishing I hadn't heard that chess has been used as an allegory for having sex in the Shakespearean times.

And more recently in X-men: First Class

(oh god i'm such a Charles/Erik fangirl i'm sorry i'll go away now)

YEY!!!! This is just further proof that Doctor Who is the perfect man/alien. ^_^

But in the beast below he apparently at somepoint had sex with liz ten. She said " so much for the virgin queen"

But in the beast below he apparently at somepoint had sex with liz ten. She said " so much for the virgin queen"

I don't think it means they had sex, only that their circumstances imply that they may have did something alone (even though they didn't) and the queen's reputation as a virgin could be brought into question.

And, somewhere in the middle, in Star Trek: TOS? We may never know.

seinneadair

YAY! CUE AWKWARD DANCING!

6favz4.jpg

That's awesome! That definitely deserves cake! :cake:

about the original post: this makes me like the Doctor even more. :)

I don't think it means they had sex, only that their circumstances imply that they may have did something alone (even though they didn't) and the queen's reputation as a virgin could be brought into question.

Liz 10 was actually referring to the fact that the Doctor had slept with Elizabeth I. (hence The Virgin Queen) Remember when Ten met Elizabeth I? She was furious and ordered his execution, if I remember clearly.

So I believe (and I also read this somewhere before) Ten was bisexual or at least biromantic, and Eleven is asexual and possibly somewhere in between aromantic and heteromantic.

Liz 10 was actually referring to the fact that the Doctor had slept with Elizabeth I. (hence The Virgin Queen) Remember when Ten met Elizabeth I? She was furious and ordered his execution, if I remember clearly.

So I believe (and I also read this somewhere before) Ten was bisexual or at least biromantic, and Eleven is asexual and possibly somewhere in between aromantic and heteromantic.

That would make a lot of sense. Since technically they are a "new" person (at least that's how I saw it) when they change, it would make sense that they're orientation would probably change with them.

I don't think that the doctor is asexual, because he's not interested in sex, rather he's asexual because of his lack of internal and external sexual organs. Basically, he's physiologically asexual.

Into the Airwaves
The asexuality of the Doctor character probably began because the BBC didn't want a show that children watched to be sexual. It was prudishness rather than characterisation. But now I think it fits in with his 'alien' personality, that he doesn't really connect much with humans even though he likes them.

Maybe that's why they made Torchwood, to make up for the lack of sexiness in the show. I've been keeping up with Miracle Day and I am now super curious what would happen if Jack & 11 met. I think it would pretty comical :P

made me think of this GIF:

tumblr_loqcnfDHJ61qbj6cco1_500.gif

I like that. 'Aaah, must escape!'

I found it hilarious when Amy kissed him and his arms were all flaily. :D

Hahahahahaha! But it's true.

I've been spending far too much time on the Livejournal ficmemes, I think...

But yeah, back on topic I'm sure I remember the Doctor being described as asexual waaaay back. Like before the series came back. But since then, I dunno. Doctor/Rose took over fandom for a while, then Doctor/Jack. Now there's all this River Song business, and it seems that every episode the Doctor appears less and less ace. Though that Matt Smith said that is awesome. I just wish that the writers would get the memo..!

But yeah, back on topic I'm sure I remember the Doctor being described as asexual waaaay back. Like before the series came back. But since then, I dunno. Doctor/Rose took over fandom for a while, then Doctor/Jack. Now there's all this River Song business, and it seems that every episode the Doctor appears less and less ace. Though that Matt Smith said that is awesome. I just wish that the writers would get the memo..!

Well, Doctor and Rose was pretty much canon. I don't think it was fandom that took that over. I think even considering the situation with him and rose though he could still be asexual. There nothing that says you can't be in a relationship just because your ace.

Even with River, he seemed sort of surprised to me when she kissed him, like it came out of nowhere.

Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Well, Doctor and Rose was pretty much canon. I don't think it was fandom that took that over. I think even considering the situation with him and rose though he could still be asexual. There nothing that says you can't be in a relationship just because your ace.

Even with River, he seemed sort of surprised to me when she kissed him, like it came out of nowhere.

Yeah, as far as the Doctor/Rose, there was certainly some romance between them, but never anything that really hinted to a sexual relationship. Didn't Tennant say that the Doctor/Rose relationship was love without shagging or something like that?

The Doctor could very well be ace, but I definitely don't think he's aromantic, as his relationship with Rose shows.

But the River Song thing... gah, that confuses everything. It seems like they're trying to make The Doctor more of a sexual character. Which really makes no sense to me, since Eleven, despite being the oldest so far, acts the most boyish. I don't understand why they're making The Doctor more sexual while he has the least grown-up sort of personality.

I totally agree on the whole Rose/Ten thing. Also, that orientaion might change with regeneration. Because while I thought Rose had a minor bit of sexual tension going on with Nine, with Ten it seemed to be entirely hand-holding adorableness. And post-Rose, Ten just seemed to not notice when people liked him and tried to do something about it (aside from that one thing with Madame de Pompadour, which I think was more of a nerd-out on the Doctor's part than anything else). Not going to comment on Eleven's sexuality, as I have nothing new to add to that discussion. :)

robotsonmars

matt smith is an actor of a fictional character

Your point? Asexual representation in media is important if we want more people to understand and be tolerant of asexuality in real life.

Now if only the writers would stop trying to make him explicitly sexual.

I don't think the writers are trying to make him explicitly sexual. Moffat is one of the main writers on BBC's Sherlock, and he's consistently said in Sherlock interviews that he wrote Sherlock as asexual. I think Moffat is pretty ace-friendly.

It's okay, that was my first thought too. I practically live on the first class kink meme right now.

He can be asexual and still have had sex at one point.

I personally believe that the Doctor, in all his incarnations, is asexual. Romantic is a whole other issue, and clearly Ten/Rose and Eleven/River raises the possibility, but the Doctor has always been about affection and adventure with his companions. He's never once shown a desire for sex.

I don't think that the doctor is asexual, because he's not interested in sex, rather he's asexual because of his lack of internal and external sexual organs. Basically, he's physiologically asexual.

Where was it revealed he has no internal or external sexual organs?

Archived