Loneliness

pancakeattack

Are you afraid of being lonely in life?   

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you feel lonely in life?

• No, I generally do not.
    • Not usually, but on a rare occasion yes.
    • Yes, sometimes.
    • Yes, most of the time.
    • Yes, all of the time.
  2. 2. Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

• Introvert
    • Extrovert
    • Both
    • Neither

This poll is closed to new votes

Sometimes I am lonely. Recently, it seems like it's been more recent. I think it may be because I feel like I'm having a hard time connecting with people lately and just generally feeling very isolated from the few friends I have and having very little in common with the rest of the population around me.

And I'm terribly introverted. So there's that too.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm get lonely a lot, but that might have to do with not having many friends as of late. They only want to double date and I'm not playing with some fool's head just to spend time with friends.

I checked both because while I am an extrovert, I do have social anxeity. And anxeity in general.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I am lonely. Recently, it seems like it's been more recent. I think it may be because I feel like I'm having a hard time connecting with people lately and just generally feeling very isolated from the few friends I have and having very little in common with the rest of the population around me.

And I'm terribly introverted. So there's that too.

I'm having a lot of problems with this too - apart from the introverted bit, this described exactly how I feel. Gradually all my friends have paired off and my social life has completely collapsed since last summer. When I do go out socially, I often don't enjoy it so that results in me making less of an effort to go out and withdrawing more. I feel isolated from my friends because whether gay or straight, they're all sexual and focused on their partner or on finding partner. And joining social groups or groups based around an activity doesn't necessarily work as people tend to use those for dating/partner-finding purposes.

I'm meeting up with another homoromatic asex guy around my age on Thursday, really looking forward to it. It'll be great to talk to someone in a similar situation about these issues and life as an asexual (specifically a gay asexual, which is perhaps more isolating than being a straight asexual, as the mainstream gay male community revolves around sex to the exclusion of almost everything else).

I've been very socially isolated for the past 7 months so now I'm forcing myself to go out and do things with people, for my own good. Chronic loneliness is really bad for your health.

Wow. Site full of introverts. Not really surprising in an online community, I guess. Still, it's weird to usually be the minority, but in such a majority here. Kind of nice, actually. :D

I picked no, generally not. Every so often, I might feel I want to share something with someone and do so if they're there, and when I get started talking, it's hard to shut me up. But I don't think about it when I'm alone, really. It's not a need exactly. Or at least it's seriously minor.

Gho St Ory Qwan

Wow. Site full of introverts. Not really surprising in an online community, I guess. Still, it's weird to usually be the minority, but in such a majority here. Kind of nice, actually. :D

It's weird being the minority. I'm an extrovert and I suit seeing people offline. I get anxious online. :ph34r: So weird.

Whoa, that's a large amount of introverts! I'm one and I'm rarely lonely. When I do, it's more about wanting to want to have company than actually want company. When I have it, I usually want to be alone again. It's more about the envy towards people who enjoy being in company.

Yes, all the time, and I am an introvert. But I have social anxiety disorder, so, yeah, I tend to avoid people and stay at home all the time.

• 4 months later...

I am a solitary person i prefer to be alone and lonliness has never been an issue and in 2 weeks time i am extending that by moving away from everything and everyone and having minimal contact with people as i dont like company and being around people, i feel arqward in social situations.

• 2 weeks later...
General Apple

It would be interesting to see the breakdown of how lonely introverts are vs extroverts. The data for extroverts wouldn't be very useful with only 12 of them (The bias towards introverts here is huge! I feel weird being part of such a large majority), but I would definitely be interested in knowing whether or not self-declared introverts are more lonely in general than self-declared extroverts.

Introvert, and yes, all the time. But it's mostly in the background, I'm so used to it that I barely notice it, for the most part.

You can feel so alone amongst friends, if you no longer have much in common!

Introvert picking "not really, but on rare occasions". Those occasions usually being when my computer or the DSL provider frak up on me... ;) I'm completely dependent on modern infotech for my social life, there's no way of denying that.

The most interesting part of the poll result up to now is, though, how overwhelmingly introverted AVENites seem to be as a general trend!

The most interesting part of the poll result up to now is, though, how overwhelmingly introverted AVENites seem to be as a general trend!

Well, if you think about it, it makes perfect sense that AVEN and pretty much all internet communities that involve a lot of communication via writing mostly consist of introverts. This kind of environment and interaction is not for extroverts, that's why you rarely see them, this is why you don't see any extrovert forums, while there are tons of introvert forums.

• 5 months later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Lady Girl, Moderator

Archived