Any asexuals like me, over 60?

biromanticseniorgal

Skycaptain

@Abe8mag4b&d, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 

• Like 1
AllThisTime
11 hours ago, Abe8mag4b&d said:

Feeling I was the only one all this time made me so isolated.

Welcome @Abe8mag4b&d!  Do you know that you get extra cake for finding us here on the over 60's thread? :)  :cake::cake:   I wanted to reply to you since you used my own words in your introduction: All This Time.  so...

I don't know if everyone is sleeping in their rocking chairs on this thread, but you'll find a very busy, engaging and supportive thread on the "over 50s", which includes some of us, ahem, oldsters.  I just turned 65.  

• Like 2
On 3/11/2019 at 5:14 AM, MysteryAuthor said:

Glad to meet you all.

Glad to meet you, MysteryAuthor. We have a quite bit in common - I'm 62 (63 in a couple of months time). I write speculative fiction and have had a few things published including an upcoming novel with a small boutique publisher. I work full-time and write part-time, and can't see that changing any time soon, unfortunately. Retirement is not an option. And a big congratulations on your publishing deals! That is amazing.

Like you, I knew there was something different about my sexuality and finding out I was asexual recently explained a lot about me in terms of relationships. I never married, have no children but had a couple of long term relationships.  However, nothing since my last one ended 17 years ago - I was tired of men cheating on me, and now I'm old and can't be bothered! So I completely understand how you are turned off once a partner loses your respect or trust. If that close bond is gone, there doesn't seem to be much point to the relationship.

So I'm an "average older single female". I haven't felt the way most of my female friends did about sexual matters and it also added to my chronic depression (which I too have learned to deal with over the years). I was often told that I was "cold" or "frigid", or my personal favourites, "you don't really love me" and "you haven't met the right man".   I too am quite a passionate person who feels things deeply. But I have to love someone to want sex and I don't fall in love easily. I also worked in film, theatre, and the music business, where casual sex was like going for a drink after work. I wasn't interested. Unlike you, I can't say many attractive men made passes at me - I'm not that good-looking and well, I honestly don't know why. I think I must have a huge neon sign flashing above my head, one that only men can see that says "Don't even bother, mister." I'm completely perplexed by other people's attitude to sex - I have no idea how it feels to be so 'horny' (or even horny at all) that I have to go out looking for someone to satisfy my urges.

All my fantasies were based on imaginary characters - I could fall in love with a book, TV, film or (ahem) anime character much more easily than a real person. However, I've given up on fantasies over the years and although there are romances in my stories and I've written the odd erotic tale, they don't feel like my fantasies just as none of my characters are completely me.

I'm glad you wrote in detail about how you felt. Sometimes I come to AVEN and feel I don't belong - not asexual enough and now consciously celibate as well as demi-sexual/heteroromantic - but knowing someone has similar feelings and experiences is comforting. Thank you.

• Like 6
19 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Welcome, I was beginning to wonder if anyone posted here after 4pm.

🤣

(Well, it's always 4 pm somewhere in the world.)

• Like 5
28 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

PS. I'm over 60 as well, but I post much more frequently on the lively 50s thread.  

Yes, those young pups can be rambunctious.

• Like 4

I am 62 and still mostly in the closet. Until recently I didn't even know that asexuality was a thing. I just thought there was something wrong or missing about me. I have five children and some failed relationships. My current husband seems completely understanding and supportive. I just would love to feel like I belong somewhere. 

• Like 6
Skycaptain

@skeetz56, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 

• Like 1

Closets probably aren't needed for old people, because no one's interested.  (Thank god.) 

My dear partner passed away some months ago, and we spent the last years of our relationship happily and lovingly platonic, after my discovery of my asexuality at a relatively old age.  Our long relationship was sexual before that since I was not repulsed, but luckily by the time I learned about asexuality and realized I just couldn't do it anymore, he was fairly old and no longer that interested in sex.  

• Like 5
15 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Do you think we will reach 1000 pages before the 50s do?

😆

4 minutes ago, Glenninindy said:

Hi Ya'll!!!  I have finally arrived at 65!

Welcome and :cake: !

• 3 weeks later...

Any members has time to  road trip travel, has driver license and lives in California or near California?

I'm looking for road trip drivers

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I am 66, and haven't been on the AVEN site in ages. Having had a mom and grandmother who lived to 95...and a great-grandmother who kept saying she was 95 (she had all her marbles when she passed at 108), I don't think of myself as a senior. But I am a baby boomer, and sure would love to find some asexual boomers I could actually talk to in person, here near Olympia, WA. But hello to all you other boomers across the country!

• Like 7
44 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Must be something in the water.

Spoiler

Is that a reference to the beer?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have not been here in ages. Glad to see Aven is still here. When I was growing up, like many of us, you were either a boy or a girl. I tried hard to be like the others around me, but it did not take me long to realize I was not. Made my school years very lonely and confusing. After two failed marriages, no children, I gave up on relationships.

This board has helped me understand myself. I was never "in the closet", I just did not understand why I did not feel like chasing boys or sex or had any of the cravings I see in other people, the media and people I dated. I had no one to talk to about anything growing up, so I just lived confused. Complacent in thinking something was wrong with me, not caring enough to try and conform to social norms.

I still hope to me "the one", but at 64, I'm not wasting much energy looking anymore. I've been alone for about 29 years now. I think that's my record. Most of that time was spent taking care of my parents until they passed and then just trying to survive.

I do come to read the boards once in a while. I just don't post much.

• Like 6
On 8/13/2011 at 2:49 AM, Alizarin said:

Hi Biro. Nice to meet you too. Pm me anytime for a natter. That goes for anyone in the 'older' category xx

I'm in the 'older' category!! :)  56 and a newly diagnosed asexual!  My life has literally been changed in the most profound way in the last week after finding this site.  I feel like I've just stepped out of a box into freedom!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, aiya said:

Hi, I have not been here in ages. Glad to see Aven is still here. When I was growing up, like many of us, you were either a boy or a girl. I tried hard to be like the others around me, but it did not take me long to realize I was not. Made my school years very lonely and confusing. After two failed marriages, no children, I gave up on relationships.

This board has helped me understand myself. I was never "in the closet", I just did not understand why I did not feel like chasing boys or sex or had any of the cravings I see in other people, the media and people I dated. I had no one to talk to about anything growing up, so I just lived confused. Complacent in thinking something was wrong with me, not caring enough to try and conform to social norms.

I still hope to me "the one", but at 64, I'm not wasting much energy looking anymore. I've been alone for about 29 years now. I think that's my record. Most of that time was spent taking care of my parents until they passed and then just trying to survive.

I do come to read the boards once in a while. I just don't post much.

I, also, was taking care of a parent (my dad) until May of this year when he passed.  Never easy and it was my main focus.  Now I am trying to figure out where my focus will be.

This site has helped a lot of people,  who before finding it, were lost and felt alone/broken.  Just knowing you are not alone in this journey is so important.  I am 68.  Sometime soon we are going to have to open up a 70 and older thread.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
Rockblossom

(wanders into the over-60s lounge)

Anybody here?

Anyone?

Helllllooooooooooo!

(echo) Helllllooooooooooo!

((echo))   Helllllooooooooooo!

(((echo)))  Helllllooooooooooo!

((((echo))))   Helllllooooooooooo!

confused-dog-looking-around-derp-1352998

• Like 5

@Rockblossom, hiya.

Being fair most of the over 60s reside in the over 50s thread, along with some of us under 50s:P, which is why this thread is a bit quiet 

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

And the big piece of chicken.

Oooo! Chicken. Is there chicken in here?

• Like 3