Any asexuals like me, over 60?

biromanticseniorgal

I googled it - the uvula problem and apparently it will 'slough off' after a couple of days. I hope it's when I'm asleep because I don't really like the sound of that :(

I did manage to get some sleep last night but I hate sleeping on my back and it's my only option at the moment...hey ho, at least I can get in and out of bed on my own :D . I actually felt hungry at 3am this morning - haven't wanted to eat for a good few weeks now and my appetite chooses THAT hour to return. So I get up make some tea and toast aaaaannnnnnnddd - after ONE SLICE I decide I'm not hungry after all :(

My gosh, how I've lost track of time. Of course, Friday was the 14th!! I got confused about you sounding as if it would be an out-patient procedure, (going in on Friday) that I didn't think was possible. My apologies; some friend I am!!

Your appetite did return a bit, so I think that is all that matters. Don't stress on things, though.

"ms. trish" held down the fort so nicely, in my mental absence.

My positive energies didn't stop due to my 'brain fart', however. Actually, I dislike that crude expression, but it fits the occasion this time. Take care, my friend. :)

EDIT: This has been making me 'nuts' - how I could think your surgery had already been completed; I re-read the posts leading up to today and on 6/8, your post, "Tanwen", mentioned removal of stitches, and had to be back at hospital Friday (14). That is what made me believe your surgery had been done earlier than originally scheduled, and you were on the mend.

Plus, as if matters weren't bad enough, my page numbers missed sequence, so I was left off page 7, for days.

Oh well, at least I know my brain didn't desert me, when my friend needed my energies. However, the energies remained in force and in place because they were steadfastly initiated, and thus, viable.

Heal quickly, "Tanwen". :mellow:

Edited by runester

I'd had a procedure to remove a benign tumour on my face runester and had the stitches removed for that...and the gall bladder removal is supposed to be a day procedure but they use CO2 gas to separate the organs and it can take time for the body to absorb/get rid of it. Mine didn't do it very well - let's face it, completely sucked at it - and they kept me in because it was too far for me to be driven home in such pain. I'm a complete wimp but hey I admit it and the room I was allocated was fantastic :)

Who really wants to stay in hospital - they're full of sick people, right??? Never know what you're going to catch when you go into one :lol:

*Things are improving rapidly, had a shower last night (in case I needed a hand to get out but that would have traumatised my poor son so I'm so relieved I didn't need to call on his services :lol: ) . Every day is one step nearer complete recovery and learning to adjust to my new life-style :D *

I'd had a procedure to remove a benign tumour on my face runester and had the stitches removed for that...and the gall bladder removal is supposed to be a day procedure but they use CO2 gas to separate the organs and it can take time for the body to absorb/get rid of it. Mine didn't do it very well - let's face it, completely sucked at it - and they kept me in because it was too far for me to be driven home in such pain. I'm a complete wimp but hey I admit it and the room I was allocated was fantastic :)

Who really wants to stay in hospital - they're full of sick people, right??? Never know what you're going to catch when you go into one :lol:

*Things are improving rapidly, had a shower last night (in case I needed a hand to get out but that would have traumatised my poor son so I'm so relieved I didn't need to call on his services :lol: ) . Every day is one step nearer complete recovery and learning to adjust to my new life-style :D *

I would never call you a wimp. Any type of invasive procedure has many different levels of pain associated with it. You unfortunately happened to hit upon a big-time one!

Thank you for being a gracious and understanding friend, "Tanwen". Like you say, "Every day is one step nearer complete recovery...". Please keep up the good work with the healing process. You do, definitely have positive energies turned your way! :)

So glad you are speedily recovering, Tanwen. When you say new lifestyle, do you mean just while recovering, or something permanent (I'm thinking you may mean a change of diet or something similar)? Hopefully you will be able to be as active as you were before, once all healed up.

The body adjusts quite happily to doing without a gallbladder, but may need a bit of time to adjust. My appetite isn't anything like it was beforehand (not a bad thing) and I've been advised to eat 'little but often' so it can utilise the continuous dripping of bile (maybe I should TMI that bit ;) ) . It all depends on the individual - some can go back to eating exactly as they did before, others need to make adjustments.

• Like 1

I hope your healing process is progressing nicely. Rest, eat light meals, and remain hydrated of course.

Take excellent care of yourself, my friend. :)

I'm doing fine, thanks and trying out bits of little 'luxuries' (I had chocolate ice cream last night and no nasty after effects :D ), took Barney for a walk tonight and can go back to the pool next week... dragon-1_zps9694ceac.gif

Iain (my son) is taking my car for it's MOT on Monday (every car over 3 years old must be tested annually to be certified it's safe to be on the road ) and then I can see if I can drive again. At the moment it can only be driven to a garage in order to be tested, if I try driving it on the road I could be prosecuted. All vehicles in the UK are registered and the Driving Vehicle Licensing Centre which also has details of the owner and insurance. The police have an ANPR system and it will alert them to any irregularities - so I daren't take any chances.

Tanwen, so happy for you, that you are slowly getting back to doing (and eating) the things you enjoy. That is such a blessing.

My youngest daughter had to have her gall bladder out at age 14, while undergoing major abdominal surgery (it was just one of the things that had to come out or be repaired). Crazy, eh? She's 27 now and has done very well. Occasionally has some sharp abdominal pains, but it's once in a blue moon, and she's as active as she wants to be.

Hope everything works out well with your car, and I love your son's name. Only one consonant! That rocks.

P.S. How is your uvula? (I've never asked anyone that before.)

• Like 1
bharani1949

I'm a 63year old woman. It's so nice to be among my own kind! The whole world is sex crazy. I watch a lot of teen drama--it's entertaining without being emotionally draining-- and all the smacking and fake making out looks so silly to me. I just don't get it. I think it would be kind of a drag to be so driven by something like sex. YIKES! Just think how much shorter movies would be if all the sex was left out. What would they do instead? Maybe go for a walk in the mountains---much nicer.

Anyway, just getting to know everyone.

Welcome bharani to the friendliest forum on the board :) I will admit to being just eh teeniest bit prejudiced but not so's you'd notice :lol: Oh and before I forget have some welcome :cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake: :D

ms. t - mine was a doddle compared to your daughter's I'm so relieved she has few side effects.

Poor Iain, I was so convinced I was having a girl I didn't have any boy names when he was born and couldn't think of anything I liked. It should have been 'Andrew', I spent a whole day calling him 'Andrew' and then his dad comes in and asks who the **** Andrew was, I said 'The baby' and he said he wasn't having any Randy Andys in his house so I'd better think again. Yeh, well, he was worried about the competition I guess, so I came up with 'Iain', the name of an actor I'd had a crush on when I was about 12. I can't be accused of imagination - I called our first son 'John-Paul' and, of course, Iain is the Scottish form of John (and the Scottish way of spelling it too :) )

My uvula has completely recovered now, thanks. It no longer feels as though it's hanging off and I've tried drinking some orange juice (which started off the entire panic). I'll give it another couple of days before trying actual oranges :D

I'm 65! Young at heart, just older in the bones! Growing up back in the 60's (the sexual revolution) asexual was not a term! I didn't fit in but tried very hard to "fit in" and dated men. But I didn't belong! Perhaps it was my strict upbringing or perhaps there was more to it than that. I didn't know WHY I wasn't REALLY attracted to men and definitely not attracted to women, so there must have been some thing wrong with me. I did what all young girls did back in the day, because that what considered "normal"! We all wanted to be normal, right? Sex just didn't feel normal to me! I got married, had two kids and the marriage went into skids because I didn't have a sex drive! We held on for 14 years and eventually neither one of us could handle it anymore. I kept trying to "find the right man" but there was NEVER any sexual attraction. I had friends who were Lesbians, but I was never attracted to them either, not sexually .... always just as FRIENDS. I could never get to the next step. I felt alone, misunderstood, alienated and ended up living alone. I don't date! Not interested! Sex doesn't "do it for me". With this site.... I found I am not alone, not misunderstood and perhaps not alienated.

Thank you Biomanticseniorgal for opening a forum for 60's and over and for being so brave. I salute you.

• Like 2

Tanwen; "Randy Andy"?? :lol: . Anyhow, your son ended up with a wonderful, lyrical Scottish name! Really glad to hear you're doing well.

bharani 1949; It is so good to have you joining our little community. Please continue to post here. It's fun to be newsy and making real friends!

Jean Marie; Thank you, also, for posting here. "biromanticseniorgal" began this thread in July, 2011, and this week-end proves that we are still going strong!

To both of our new members: Welcome to AVEN and the "...over 60's" site! :) :) :cake::cake:

Tanwen, my son is John-Riley! He gets called J-R a lot. When his stepdad first met the family, he thought we were all calling him "Jar" (not sure how any of that will translate into a British accent ^_^ ). So relieved to hear about your uvula. But, a little sad there's no need to say that word any more (kidding!).

A big welcome to bharani and Jean Marie! Isn't it great to find out you are A-okay? Please have some cake on me: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: Also, feel free to post on the over-50s thread as well--we love all ages!

Tanwen, my son is John-Riley! He gets called J-R a lot. When his stepdad first met the family, he thought we were all calling him "Jar" (not sure how any of that will translate into a British accent ^_^ ). So relieved to hear about your uvula. But, a little sad there's no need to say that word any more (kidding!).

A big welcome to bharani and Jean Marie! Isn't it great to find out you are A-okay? Please have some cake on me: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: Also, feel free to post on the over-50s thread as well--we love all ages!

"John-Riley" - what a fabulous name! :)

• Like 1
bharani1949

Hey Jean Marie--- I'd forgotten the years I lived as a hippie. I was already married to my high school sweetheart and conveniently had that as an excuse not to be promiscuous. I even believed it myself. I think I could have easily joined in the gerneral orgy simply because sex had such little importance that it would be just another kind of group interaction. Something kept me from doing it though. Maybe an intuition that it would be detrimental in some way I couldn't define. Otherwise I loved being a hippie and I don't think that most of the people I know who were hippies ever really out grew it.

Currently I live in an extended family with a young Nepali family and 3 gay guys I met on the ashram I lived on for about 30 years. My extended family is about to disperce however with The nepali family returning to their roots in Nepal. I guess I'm still living the hippie life?!

It's monsoon time here with particularly rainy weather this year. I feel all snug cozy in my room with the curtains open and the rain pouring down outside.

It's wonderful to meet you all.

there should be a place for 60's and over to chat about asexuality. It's not like we have another 50+ years to discuss this issue and come to terms with it. If there is such a site that only caters to asexual and members being able to discuss this issue with each other... please, some one provide that information.

bharani1949... following you "heart" and staying at peace with yourself was the best thing you could have done. I lived in Queensland, Australia for 10+ years and know what the "wet" is!

• Like 1

bharani, our wonderful 'hippie' member! Thank you for your kind words. It is nice to meet you, also! :)

Jean Marie: This is the "...over 60's" chat place, where you are always welcomed, and can broach any appropriate subject, including asexuality. This link http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/75070-welcome-new-members-from-the-project-team/ will help you navigate the various forums.

Also, this link http://www.asexuality.org/home/general.html is from the "Front Page/FAQ" and is filled with much useful information about asexuality.

I hope these help you both out. Please return here to post your results, and begin the chat, "Jean Marie", that you are looking for! :D .

bharani1949

School was closed again from flooding. Just the roads mostly but many many children ride school buses here so it's dangerous for them. My grand kids are bored to death but I think it's beautiful.

Hi! I'm 65 and happy to be here (again) ... I recall being a member several years ago but for the life of me I can't remember when or what my screen name was (guess that's the 'being 65 part'!).

In all my life I have never met a person who identifies as asexual and it's about darned time we start interacting with one another. I love being asexual - so much less encumbered than many other persuasions. I will enjoy being back in the fold and online with this interesting group of peeps.

Plus! It's a great day today for us all with the defeat of DOMA!

• Like 1

Greetings Moi Aussie--so glad you re-discovered Aven! Please feel free to also post in the "over-50s" thread--it's a great group, open to all ages.

Yes, great news about DOMA. This probably calls for some cake!

cc07fc50d1ed16615f3336bb4895a98a.gifapieceofcake.gifcc07fc50d1ed16615f3336bb4895a98a.gif

cake-smiley-emoticon.gifgraphics-cake-244464.gifslice-of-cake-smiley-emoticon.pnggraphics-cake-244464.gifcake_cg-1.pnggraphics-cake-244464.gifcake-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 2

Hello, Moi Aussi! It is always so nice to meet someone who is a returning member. I too, am a frequent poster in the "...past 50's" thread, as "ms. trish" mentioned. Please feel free to contact fellow 'older' peeps there, also.

Welcome back to AVEN and Happy "Windsor v. US" Day! :cake: :)

bharani1949

OK the rain has stopped at last. The boys are playing outside and are really happy.

I have a confession. At my age this shouldn't matter but I kind of like the idea of having a symbol for asexuality. There is a thread started about having something to wear that would symbolize our solidarity. I think think the consensus was a black ring on the middle finger right hand. I feel like such a groupie. :redface: :redface:

Hi bharani! You're not a groupie, at all. You are showing your solidarity, along with many other members!

Is it a complete black ring, or one with a stone setting?

I'll bet you'll be surprised one day, when you encounter someone else wearing a black ring, and you can share a 'secret smile', if you like! That's what it is all about. :cake: :)

bharani1949

I don't know if it was finalized yet but two examples were of solid black. Very tasteful.I like it a lot. I'm going to look for something around here.

Cheers

I don't know if it was finalized yet but two examples were of solid black. Very tasteful.I like it a lot. I'm going to look for something around here.

Cheers

Good luck in your search! :)

• 2 weeks later...

just turned 60 but really about 32

I replied to your post in the "past 50s" thread. You may get to know folks in both these sites! Please always feel welcome! :)

My brain still thinks it's 17 - the body soon puts it right though :lol:

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello all. I am 64. I'm not too sure what I am doing here. Oh, yes! I am definitely Asexual. no doubt there. I'm just not sure what issues I have because of that. I am very comfortable with who I am.

I guess it would be nice to have some friends that were also asexual, because I'm interested in so many things Other than sex. It would be nice to have some close friends who are not obsessed with being part of a couple. I mean, It would be nice to have a Significant Other, but the price is a little too high for me.