Any asexuals like me, over 60?

biromanticseniorgal

60 thread seems dead a lot.  I hang with the 50s as well.  After all, I am 50 and older.  Remember to turn out the lights before leaving this thread.  60s go to bed early.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

60 thread seems dead a lot.  I hang with the 50s as well.  After all, I am 50 and older.  Remember to turn out the lights before leaving this thread.  60s go to bed early.

:lol: 

@AgingRainbow welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 

• Like 1
On 12/15/2018 at 8:39 PM, AgingRainbow said:

... trying to enjoy life.

(my highlight)

Ha, ha, whenever I used to say that, a friend of mine used to say, “you’re trying indeed”.  🤣

@AgingRainbow Welcome to Aven, 🍰

• Like 1

I have been really blue the last 24 hours. My neighbor, a single woman also in her 60s, was my best friend and activity partner. She moved away. We did all kinds of things together, from working in the yard, to taking care of a shared pet cat, to visiting museums, to dining out, to watching many movies, to sharing music, to just go on rides and trips for the hell of it.  Oh, it goes on and on. She is nice looking, but I had virtually no sexual attraction...and if sexual attraction is a desire for genital to genital contact, I had ZERO attraction, nor could that EVER happen because I am 100% asexual (and likely impotent) in the sexual penetration department. I never knew if she would have wanted a sexual relationship. But that is beside the point. I was really, really close to her, and I am really sad that she is gone. She moved 1000 miles away so she could be near her children and near to some of her siblings. . .to go back home again. She had made up her mind that she wanted to live the remainder of her life in the place she spent most of her life, including where she grew up.

Her leaving is like a death. Arghhh. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, jay williams said:

I have been really blue the last 24 hours. My neighbor, a single woman also in her 60s, was my best friend and activity partner. She moved away. We did all kinds of things together, from working in the yard, to taking care of a shared pet cat, to visiting museums, to dining out, to watching many movies, to sharing music, to just go on rides and trips for the hell of it.  Oh, it goes on and on. She is nice looking, but I had virtually no sexual attraction...and if sexual attraction is a desire for genital to genital contact, I had ZERO attraction, nor could that EVER happen because I am 100% asexual (and likely impotent) in the sexual penetration department. I never knew if she would have wanted a sexual relationship. But that is beside the point. I was really, really close to her, and I am really sad that she is gone. She moved 1000 miles away so she could be near her children and near to some of her siblings. . .to go back home again. She had made up her mind that she wanted to live the remainder of her life in the place she spent most of her life, including where she grew up.

Did you ever ask her whether she would like it if you moved there too? 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jay williams said:

Aw, that is a sad loss for you. Hopefully you can take some comfort in it being good for her in some ways (being closer to her family and her home).

But I know it can be hard to find something like the friendship you had with her, and just as hard if not harder to find a way to fill in that hole left by her departure.

best wishes

I'm saddened for you  too @jay williams. A friend like that will be much missed. I really really hope that you get less blue.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, jay williams said:

Life is a series of encounters we have with others.  It is so hard when change comes.  Change is the one thing we can't stop.  In the end we just have ourselves.  Hope you try to keep in contact online or in letters.  Who got the cat?

• Like 1

I very much understand how you're feeling, Jay.  Sometimes people assume that the only thing that affects friendships between older people is death.  But what you describe happens quite often: people moving to be with their children.  It's very difficult for their friends left behind.  

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:12 PM, JDP said:

I turned sixty last November, so I'm in the club now  :)

Congrats.  A lot of us hang with the 50s.  I guess its a mid life crisis thing.

31 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

I guess its a mid life crisis thing.

Not for me. I hang out there because I have many friends there and it's active. :) 

• Like 2
rainbowwahine
On 12/8/2018 at 5:55 PM, Nick2 said:

Ouch! Lol

• Like 1
On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:12 PM, chandrakirti said:

The 50s thread is great...but in another year, when I'm 60, I'm going to frequent this one too!

I hope you have proper ID.  We have strict rules here.

1 hour ago, Nick2 said:

I hope you have proper ID.  We have strict rules here.

Is the ID I use when buying groceries valid here?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Meta4icalMe said:

Turning 60 in T-minus 7 weeks so I think I qualify 🤓

There is plenty of room in the 60 section.  Glad to have you on board.

10 hours ago, Meta4icalMe said:

Turning 60 in T-minus 7 weeks so I think I qualify 🤓

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Those "0" years are hard to take.

I'm probably an odd one out (as usual), but they never bothered me. Six zero was one of my best years (that's when I retired). :D 

• Like 1

Software development (not as a developer (I'm not that technically savvy), but as domain expert, tester, designer, occasional documentation, etc.).

• Like 1

Well, I'm soon to turn 65. woo hoo .. It is so strange being this age because I don't "feel" like I'm in my 60s, or as I imagined being this age might me when I was, say, in my 30s.

This means that I'm probably viewed as an aging hippy cat lady.  Which works for me!

I agree that having known about asexuality in my teens and 20s would have made a huge difference in my life.  

• Like 5
19 hours ago, AllThisTime said:

I agree that having known about asexuality in my teens and 20s would have made a huge difference in my life.  

I have heard others say this. Just what difference do you think it would have made for you? I know that there are things I would have liked to do differently, but that is another matter, far as I am concerned. 

• Like 2