Any asexuals like me, over 60?

biromanticseniorgal

Started in the Over 50s six years ago. Now I have "graduated" at age 62.

• Like 2
TheLastOfSheila
On 7/22/2018 at 5:44 PM, froglady said:

I have been assuming that I already posted something here. I'm not finding anything though. The activity does seem kind of thin. I'm 64 and don't seem to have used this thread. Sometimes I am in the garden places or animal places. Sometimes I play in the chatterbox. Sometimes I howl into the wind. What to put here?

I wonder if other people my age are finding that the world they believed in when they were younger never really existed...sure some is just gone but a lot never really was. Something like the disillusionment of youth only more like de illusionment. Do you have that experience? If so what do you do with it?

Anyone else trying to deal with mild diabetes without drugs ie with diet and exercise?

I've been controlling my diabetes without drugs for 4 years now and have been very successful.  When I was initially diagnosed, I was put on a high dose of Metformin.  That drug was tearing me apart inside, was hard to take at that dosage level, so my sugars were still high.  I came to the conclusion that this therapy wasn't going to work, and that the only one who could cure this disease was me.  Like anything that one has to undertake in life, you have to start with your brain, let that switch click over that locks you into commitment.  Through diet and moderate activity, my diabetes has been fully under control for two years now.  Losing 45 lb. helped as well.  Anyway, froglady, wishing you the best of luck in your endeavour! :D

• Like 4
20 hours ago, KittKatz said:

Started in the Over 50s six years ago. Now I have "graduated" at age 62.

Yes, but 62 is still "over 50"...correct?

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, teatree said:

Yes, but 62 is still "over 50"...correct?

Yep :)

I'm 61, soon to be 62, but still mostly hanging out on the over 50 thread, since that's where the action (and my friends) are. :D 

(although... this thread is easier to keep up with :lol: )

• Like 5
On 7/31/2018 at 9:25 AM, TheLastOfSheila said:

I've been controlling my diabetes without drugs for 4 years now and have been very successful.  When I was initially diagnosed, I was put on a high dose of Metformin.  That drug was tearing me apart inside, was hard to take at that dosage level, so my sugars were still high.  I came to the conclusion that this therapy wasn't going to work, and that the only one who could cure this disease was me.  Like anything that one has to undertake in life, you have to start with your brain, let that switch click over that locks you into commitment.  Through diet and moderate activity, my diabetes has been fully under control for two years now.  Losing 45 lb. helped as well.  Anyway, froglady, wishing you the best of luck in your endeavour! :D

Thank you! I am so glad to hear about someone being successful with this approach. It sure seems like the way to go to me. I am being mostly successful. When I am not it is usually traceable to something identifiable. I don't quite have it figured out when I can eat a bit more simple carbohydrate if I go out and exercise right away. But averaged over a week or two my levels are ok now. The medical people here are into prescribing drugs. I am glad that glucometers have gotten affordable so I can figure it out on my own.

TheLastOfSheila
2 hours ago, froglady said:

Thank you! I am so glad to hear about someone being successful with this approach. It sure seems like the way to go to me. I am being mostly successful. When I am not it is usually traceable to something identifiable. I don't quite have it figured out when I can eat a bit more simple carbohydrate if I go out and exercise right away. But averaged over a week or two my levels are ok now. The medical people here are into prescribing drugs. I am glad that glucometers have gotten affordable so I can figure it out on my own.

Yeah, the doctors were alarmed when I told them I was off the drugs.  They tried very hard to convince me to get back on them, outlining all of the dangers of type 2 diabetes (which I was already familiar with).  It is hard sometimes to withstand that kind of pressure, but I held fast.  I told them, just give me some time.  I can do this.  I said If my HbA1c spikes up, then I will reconsider the medicine.  Well, that number, the A1c, just kept going down, down, down.  Technically, I am no longer at the diabetic level.  Now the doctor says, "Whatever you're doing, keep doing it!"  So hang in there, froglady.  Message me if you need any information or support even.

• Like 4
On 7/31/2018 at 5:25 PM, TheLastOfSheila said:

...  Like anything that one has to undertake in life, you have to start with your brain, let that switch click over that locks you into commitment ...

So true that, imho.

@TheLastOfSheila Respect, I do admire it, that you are controlling it without drugs 👍🍀🌸

• Like 3
cavalier080854

64 tomorrow and only 23 months to my official retirement date

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Already there @CanMan@CanMan.Next one will be 71. I think that there are quite a few of us.

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2018 at 2:09 PM, Tunhope said:

Already there @CanMan@CanMan.Next one will be 71. I think that there are quite a few of us.

I wish you much happiness :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

68 now so I don't think being asexual is a phase.  I was thinking it was  10 to 11 years ago that I discovered the term asexual.  Wonder how long it has been around as far as describing humans with asexuality.  Sure would have been a plus to have knows about it when I was a teen/early 20s.

• Like 5
On 10/3/2018 at 4:38 PM, Nick2 said:

68 now so I don't think being asexual is a phase.  Sure would have been a plus to have known about it when I was a teen/early 20s.

We are close in age and I agree that had I learned about my asexuality 50 years ago, things may have turned out differently.

Edited by CanMan
Tried to clarify what I wrote previously.
  • Like 4

I'll be 68 in December, widowed for two years now, after a thirty-year marriage, a difficult one, so my emotions are mixed.  Hoping to find people to joke around with here! 

• Like 9
2 hours ago, wintercat said:

I'll be 68 in December, widowed for two years now, after a thirty-year marriage, a difficult one, so my emotions are mixed.  Hoping to find people to joke around with here! 

Welcome and :cake: !

• 2 weeks later...

Hello -- anyone around?  I'm new, well over 60, twice divorced after one 28-year and one 10-year marriage.  Just discovering asexuality as a thing and wondering if that might be me.  Would be nice to talk with others -- 

• Like 5

@Choxsprwelcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂

This forum is a touch quiet, but I'd suggest going to the over 50's thread, that's where most of us from 30 onwards hang out 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Choxspr said:

Hello -- anyone around?  I'm new, well over 60, twice divorced after one 28-year and one 10-year marriage.  Just discovering asexuality as a thing and wondering if that might be me.  Would be nice to talk with others -- 

Hi Choxspr.  I'm around :)  Life is certainly interesting for us older aces. Welcome to the club. I'm sure you will find people to talk with about asexuality.  I was late to the party but life is much less confusing now.

• Like 3
On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:50 PM, wintercat said:

Welcome. Sorry that you had a difficult marriage. I have never been married. Once upon a time I rued being single. But not anymore, and I am grateful that I never had to endure a bad marriage.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, Morfar said:

I found it,,, my place, I was lost in the over 50 thing,,,woops,,,

Not to worry, the age is not taken very literal. Lots of over 60ish on the over 50 thread ( e.g. me) and also some younger people. You are are very welcome there. 😊 

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, Thea2 said:

Not to worry, the age is not taken very literal. Lots of over 60ish on the over 50 thread ( e.g. me) and also some younger people. You are are very welcome there. 😊 

This :D 

I started on the over 50s thread when I was still in my 50s, but I stay there because it's so lively and so many friends are there, both over and under 50.

Besides, I'm still over 50. :P 

• Like 1