Any asexuals like me, over 60?

biromanticseniorgal

Ageless Goddess
On 7/16/2017 at 2:19 PM, Elderflower said:

Teatree-- I have zero interest in fashion, makeup, or shoes. I have been on my own for a very long time and have become very self-reliant; nearly all the women I know are shamefully dependent on their men. Fix their own wiring? Never. Build a fire, patch the roof, do basic house maintenance? They crumble. Some won't even get their own car serviced. 

I'm an older lady and I take care of myself. I do enjoy the company of other strong, resourceful women but they seem few in number. 

• Like 2
Green Mandala
On 7/14/2017 at 8:09 PM, Green Mandala said:

Tomorrow, I am going to see the play, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by Edward Albee. It has gotten good reviews so I'm looking forward to it. I have never seen the movie or read the script. But others have and from what I hear, I need to be prepared for a not-so-happy feeling afterward. I've heard that the movie is really good and that Elizabeth Taylor is frightening. It was suggested to me to see the play first and then watch the movie, not the other way 'round.

To be continued . . .

Continued . . . the play was awesome, if that can be said about "disturbing." The actors and actresses were fabulous and scary. Here's a brief run-down on my experience:

Act one: A bit comical. Some good humor, a bit on the dark side. Got a good introduction to the four characters and their various quirks and secrets.

Act two: Intense. No laughing. Intense. No humor. Intense.

Act three: Oh, that's what's going on . . . or wait . . . what the hell just happened? Somebody explain this to me, please.

As I'm leaving the parking lot: I have to see that again so my brain can catch up to Act one and two.

Thoughts now: I have to see that again. I think I'll watch the movie version and get Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton's take on this play.

Thoughts on Edward Albee: Wow! Just Wow!

• Like 1
Elderflower
12 hours ago, Ageless Goddess said:

Hey, Elderflower, I take my hat off to you & bow at your feet. I'm a strong self-sufficient woman, however, my abilities to repair things are zilch. I have a female friend in her early seventies who can do things as you do. The two of you must have been contractors in a past life. Her home is beautiful & very well maintained by her. I too like nice clothes, but I do not pay retail if I cannot purchase what I like with a 50 to 75% discount, I must not need it. Give yourself a big hug for your abilities.

Oh I can't do everything! But I give it a try first, and when I need to call a pro I talk to them, observe, and learn what I can so next time I might be okay. It's the people (mostly women but sometimes men) who just throw up their hands and whimper "I can't do that!" and won't even try that bother me.

• Like 2

I do some repairs and stuff myself. But there are some things I don't bother with, because I have no interest in them (such as car stuff) or because I'd just rather pay a pro to do it as the cost is better than the time, effort and hassle for me to do it myself (such as most landscaping/yardwork).

• Like 3
Elderflower
11 minutes ago, daveb said:

I do some repairs and stuff myself. But there are some things I don't bother with, because I have no interest in them (such as car stuff) or because I'd just rather pay a pro to do it as the cost is better than the time, effort and hassle for me to do it myself (such as most landscaping/yardwork).

Same here. Those are conscious decisions made for valid reasons. My problem is with those who don't do it themselves and don't call a pro either -- they do nothing, paralyzed with fear, helplessness, or just plain laziness, waiting for somebody else to rescue them.  I'm not into helping people who refuse to help themselves. 

• Like 2

Something's simply aren't worth the learning curve for me.  Sure I could probably figure out how to duplicate the texture on a wall, but I only need it this once,  probably won't retexture another wall, it would take time and a professional would do it far better.

• Like 1
jay williams
On 7/17/2017 at 0:44 PM, chandrakirti said:

You just hit the nail on the head @Elderflower. If you don't share an interest in all these things, or the bloggers who write online about them, you're always on the outside looking in, with women.I started saying 'If I don't say very much, it's because I don't know enough about (x,y,z) to contribute to the conversation. It doesn't mean anything sinister if I stay quiet'. 

Sometimes that works, at least I lay my cards on the table. 

It's the same with the men, as you say, the sex thing rears its head. I got round that by shaving my head and dressing androgynously, but when it comes to football, cars etc, I'm stumped. My only cross over subjects are film, theatre, sci fi...

How cool is that? Shaving head and dressing androgynously! I like it!

I like to talk about all manner of things in the world...even football. Actually, I am not a football nut, but I do like to watch my Alma Mater play if they are having a good year.

There are plenty of men who don't do sex. Many older guys got E.D. for one thing, and some are gay. Some are even asexual! LOL

Ageless Goddess
11 hours ago, jay williams said:

How cool is that? Shaving head and dressing androgynously! I like it!

I like to talk about all manner of things in the world...even football. Actually, I am not a football nut, but I do like to watch my Alma Mater play if they are having a good year.

There are plenty of men who don't do sex. Many older guys got E.D. for one thing, and some are gay. Some are even asexual! LOL

Jay, you're very funny. Love the folks from Missouri, most have a fine sense of humor.

• Like 1
jay williams
On 7/20/2017 at 0:20 AM, Ageless Goddess said:

Jay, you're very funny. Love the folks from Missouri, most have a fine sense of humor.

Well thank you. Most people, no matter where from, find my style considerably less than droll. It usually takes an unusual person to appreciate my unusual outlook in the space-time continuum. Since you are located in the 4th dimension... :-)

• Like 2
Ageless Goddess
5 hours ago, jay williams said:

Well thank you. Most people, no matter where from, find my style considerably less than droll. It usually takes an unusual person to appreciate my unusual outlook in the space-time continuum. Since you are located in the 4th dimension... :-)

You caught on quickly, Jay. See, the folks in Missouri are sharp as tacks & are intuitive as well.

• Like 2
Green Mandala

It is currently 91* here and I am planning to go walking. Seriously, what am I thinking. But here I go anyway to sweat and drink lots of water.

• Like 1
Green Mandala

I did it and it wasn't that bad. There was a nice cool breeze.

• Like 2
Ageless Goddess
On 7/26/2017 at 6:30 PM, Green Mandala said:

It is currently 91* here and I am planning to go walking. Seriously, what am I thinking. But here I go anyway to sweat and drink lots of water.

The only way I'm walking in 91-degree weather is on a path covered by a canopy of trees with an ice pack bandana around my head.

I have walked a half marathons, beginning at 5:00 am ending at 8:00 am before the heat smiles on me. I cannot function in the heat, it's been over 105 every day for the past two weeks.

• Like 2
Ageless Goddess
2 hours ago, Green Mandala said:

I did it and it wasn't that bad. There was a nice cool breeze.

Congratulations for a job well done!!! In my part of the country when the weather is 91, it's hot & humid, no breeze of any kind.

• Like 2
cavalier080854

Since I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on 22 May 2017. My BMI has decreased from 34 to 32.:D I miss cake. :( 

• Like 2

If you're lucky, T2 diabetes can be reversed to the point where it's diet controlled. 

• Like 2
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Well done @cavalier080854, you'll avoid the terrible complications of T2 D, which sneak up before you notice it's too late, keep the BMI in the low to middle twenties and you'll not have to worry.

@jay williams, it suits me not to kow tow to society's image of what I should be, but it can backfire...I walked past a group standing smoking at the bike shelters in work the other day and got 'What is that'. But groups standing smoking at bike shelters are like schoolchildren anyway....

On 7/15/2017 at 4:09 AM, Green Mandala said:

Tomorrow, I am going to see the play, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by Edward Albee. It has gotten good reviews so I'm looking forward to it. I have never seen the movie or read the script. But others have and from what I hear, I need to be prepared for a not-so-happy feeling afterward. I've heard that the movie is really good and that Elizabeth Taylor is frightening. It was suggested to me to see the play first and then watch the movie, not the other way 'round.

To be continued . . .

What did you think of it? I went to see the movie version in the late 60s - the one with Richard Burton and Liz Taylor. I lost the will to live after about half an hour and the film was at least 2 hours too long. I would have walked out except I was in the middle of the row

• Like 3
Green Mandala

I liked the play. I have since watched the movie and I still don't know what the hell actually happened. I was hoping to get some insight by watching the movie but I feel more confused than I did after watching the play. But I love weird stuff and psycho-kinds of things. That was definitely a psycho-drama. Great script writing I must say.

• Like 1
Green Mandala

Fiesta Mexicana is happening right now in the park adjacent to my place. I hear music (actually I only hear a kind of bass drum rhythm) and some announcer over a loud speaker. I need my window open for air circulation because of the heat. And I work tomorrow. So here's hoping I can sleep. Maybe the sound of my fan will drown out the fiesta.

jay williams
On 8/2/2017 at 8:58 PM, Green Mandala said:

108 degrees today. I feel super lazy.

It is that hot in Oregon? Holy shit! That is awful!

• Like 2

well, it was that hot over in the valley.  On the coast I think we topped out at 84 one day.  Otherwise, many days of 70s,  which is why everyone who lives in the valley has been over here.  :D

• Like 2

Could you send some surplus heat this way, please. 12°c, 54°f is not a middle of August temperature. 

• Like 3
Green Mandala
20 hours ago, lldeft said:

well, it was that hot over in the valley.  On the coast I think we topped out at 84 one day.  Otherwise, many days of 70s,  which is why everyone who lives in the valley has been over here.  :D

Yep. My daughter and grandchildren were some of those hiding out at the coast.

• Like 1
On 8/8/2017 at 9:20 AM, Skycaptain said:

Could you send some surplus heat this way, please. 12°c, 54°f is not a middle of August temperature. 

Indeed - more like autumn (fall) than August :(  - although the temperatures will probably pick up when the kids go back to school in September

• Like 2
Green Mandala

Well, this week we've dropped into the high 80s. And it feels pretty darn cool overnight after such high temps. Still have the smoky haze though which gives everything a kind of reddish tint.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Haha! Never heard anyone so happy to see rain! Have some of ours while you're at it, I'm thinking I may as well be back in Scotland for all the vitamin d I accrued this year,,,,:D