Any asexuals like me, over 60?

biromanticseniorgal

46 minutes ago, AceOfManyYears said:

Hi. I’ve lurked on these forums, on and off, for years.

Turned 66 yesterday. I’ve known I was ace for many, many years. Just figured out a couple of years ago that I’m also aromantic (a little slow on the uptake with that one). It just goes to show we’re never too old to keep figuring things out.

I was the same about being late to the party figuring out I was aro besides being asexual. I never dated in my teens or 20s (when everyone else I knew was). I more or less said to myself, 'I don't want a girlfriend (and I knew I wasn't gay).

It wasn't until a couple of years after joining AVEN (long after I identified as asexual) that I looked into what folks meant when they said the were aromantic or aro. 'Oh my that's me!'

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm pushing 70 myself and just joined this group yesterday I think. I was wondering if there were people closer to my age.

• Like 6
jay williams
9 hours ago, Nejyn said:

I'm pushing 70 myself and just joined this group yesterday I think. I was wondering if there were people closer to my age.

Yup, a few. And some older. I am 73.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Nejyn said:

Welcome and :cake: !

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Nejyn said:

Welcome to AVEN from the Great White North. I'm 62.

• Like 2
Old Maid Librarian
On 1/12/2024 at 12:29 AM, Nejyn said:

I'm 72 and only heard about asexuality a couple years ago. There don't seem to be as many of us who have found this board, but we exist.  Welcome! 🍰

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Old Maid Librarian said:

I'm 72 and only heard about asexuality a couple years ago. There don't seem to be as many of us who have found this board, but we exist.  Welcome! 🍰

Did you go looking for a reason for your lack of sexual attraction or just stumble onto it?

• Like 1
Rockblossom

I will be 73 in a few weeks.  I always knew I was aroace, but just didn't have the words.   I hope that younger aces will have a better understanding/easier time being themselves.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
jay williams

Just saw an article in the Washington Post that reported a poll that said 60% of people over 65 were "sexually inactive." That is great news, especially if they are inactive by desire and choice! Eventually, the sexuals will become like us!!! LOL

• Like 1
OregonGrown
On 7/7/2011 at 11:08 PM, biromanticseniorgal said:

It seems like there are a lot of younger (20s,30s,40s) asexuals on this forum. And, that's great! I wish I had come out as asexual at a much younger age. I could have saved myself a lot of heartache. Don't get me wrong, I love younger people. But, I'm 60 and have been out as asexual for over 15 years, having formerly, begrudgingly, disgustingly engaged in sex. I'm so glad to have found AVEN but was hoping to connect with others around my age without having to sift through the numerous topics. Is there a forum for seniors and I just couldn't find it? If not, does anyone else think there should be one?

I meant for the subitle of this topic to be ...forum for 50+?"

I am 61 and just joined about 20 minutes ago. I am so happy to meet other ASexuals. I have been ASexual for around 20 years now but thought something was wrong with me, up until 6 years ago. I was so relieved when I found out that I'm not alone and I'm fabulous just the way I am.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, jay williams said:

Just saw an article in the Washington Post that reported a poll that said 60% of people over 65 were "sexually inactive." That is great news, especially if they are inactive by desire and choice! Eventually, the sexuals will become like us!!! LOL

Love this.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, All! I haven’t looked in on AVEN in ages- years, probably. So many life changes and some things slip through the cracks. But just checking in and glad to see some old names I remember! 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Mocha Jo said:

Hi, All! I haven’t looked in on AVEN in ages- years, probably. So many life changes and some things slip through the cracks. But just checking in and glad to see some old names I remember! 

Glad to see you post. I had been thinking about our New England member. We made it down to Maine in October. First time since 2019.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Mocha Jo said:

Yeah! Glad to  hear from you. The over-50's thread is still a lot busier than this one, even if a lot of us qualify for both.

I hope all (or at least the vast majority) of your life changes have been positive.

• Like 3

Hi, @Mocha Jo!

4 hours ago, Tyke said:

I hope all (or at least the vast majority) of your life changes have been positive.

2nded :) :cake: 

• 1 month later...

I'm asexual but I've had relationships, been married, and have a daughter. I enjoyed the act of sex itself. And I wanted a child. But I cannot relate to being sexually attracted to someone. I've been married and divorced 3 times because I never developed that deep bond with anyone. I loved but not wholly. I can easily separate the act of sex from everything else. I detest kissing because it's too personal. I wonder: is it common among asexuals to like the feeling of having sex but not the rest of it?

When I was younger (I'll be 69 in May) I'd never heard the term asexual. This terminology is new to me but not my feelings and my gut reactions.

• Like 2
will123

@Nejyn Welcome to AVEN from Canada. I'm 62, having found out about asexuality when I was 44. I can't comment directly on your 'conflict', but have something similar. I have always had a strong aesthetic attraction to women, and had friends that were girls (still do) but never had any thoughts of having sex with them (I am still a virgin). The only time I ever kissed a friend (not one if my best decisions) was in my late 30s. It was not well received.

I hope you find some answers to your questions and enjoy the community.

• Like 1
jay williams
1 hour ago, Nejyn said:

I'm asexual but I've had relationships, been married, and have a daughter. I enjoyed the act of sex itself. And I wanted a child. But I cannot relate to being sexually attracted to someone. I've been married and divorced 3 times because I never developed that deep bond with anyone. I loved but not wholly. I can easily separate the act of sex from everything else. I detest kissing because it's too personal. I wonder: is it common among asexuals to like the feeling of having sex but not the rest of it?

When I was younger (I'll be 69 in May) I'd never heard the term asexual. This terminology is new to me but not my feelings and my gut reactions.

I am a guy, so I won't speak for women. It is by no means unusual for guys to "separate the act of sex from everything else." Guys talk about wanting to "get laid," or to fu*k somebody including perfect strangers. I expect that other women feel the same as you do. 

I always thought the expression of "making love" to refer to the sex act was really weird. But I am different. 
Nothing wrong to be different in my opinion. Welcome to AVEN

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Nejyn said:

I wonder: is it common among asexuals to like the feeling of having sex but not the rest of it?

I suspect the answer varies depending on who you ask. For me, I didn't like the feeling of having sex. Not a fan of kissing either.

Anyway, welcome and :cake: !

• Like 1