Any asexuals like me, over 60?

biromanticseniorgal

The 60's Chat Something or Other (fill in the something or other) would be catchy. :)

I need to backtrack and read the thread before its super long!

It goes back quite a ways, Lady, & it is mostly folks introducing themselves. It won't take you long. :)

Ok, I caught up with all the introductions and by way of mine, I'm about 16 years shy of 60, but wouldn't mind chatting. I am not asexual, but that doesn't mean I'm not familiar (my husband is!). Anyway, here's a link to a short story about us if anyone's interested. http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?/topic/71804-lady-girls-story/

Lady, thank you so much for your 'reply'. You are a marvelous, brave person! I am in awe of your relationship with Mr. LG, how you have made it a success, and your presentation of it to all of us at AVEN. It is indeed, an example of how true love 'works'.

Also, thank you for your "chat" proposal. I am so glad you are a contributor here, and elsewhere.

Thank you for the nice compliments runester. It wouldn't be the success it is without Mr. LG of course, he is also to be commended for putting up with me all these years.

I do think it's interesting how a person can feel really secure in their relationship one day, and the next it is not what they feel they really want. I suppose this is the way it is in our relationship to life though too and perhaps this is reflected in how we feel about the people around us.

Thank you for the nice compliments runester. It wouldn't be the success it is without Mr. LG of course, he is also to be commended for putting up with me all these years.

I do think it's interesting how a person can feel really secure in their relationship one day, and the next it is not what they feel they really want. I suppose this is the way it is in our relationship to life though too and perhaps this is reflected in how we feel about the people around us.

Of course, Mr. LG deserves compliments, as well; and they were intended.

True, the 'slant' placed on the relationship, as a whole, is most important. How we feel and react to life's circumstances also have prime meaning to our outlook and attitude, in general.

You both have done very well, and I wish you all the continued success possible!!

Thanks again! I knew you intended compliments to him also, I just thought I would compliment him too!

So what do you propose a we chat about runester? You should pick first since it was your idea, and a good one at that. Do you think you will be able to direct some of your PM friends over this way?

Hi, Lady. I've just been catching up on the various forums I follow. My PM people are not the type or in the age group, believe me. Actually, "Biromanticseniorgal" began this topic and she should begin, no? Anyway, I was very interested in "Sweet's" art class thread, but that already has its spot. Let me think, a bit. Perhaps you have something you would like to discuss. It doesn't matter who goes first! Actually I am still digesting some of the sad news that has been around lately, and am a little distracted.

"Tanwen" has been quite a contributor, even though a 'mod'; maybe they are tuned in.

Think up something fun, if anyone may be in the mood!?! **sigh**

It's ok, I just thought you wanted it to be another chat thread. I like the 30's and heavy banana really well. If I think of something, I'll pop back on. There has been a lot going on with AVEN people lately, hopefully everyone is talking to their friends and doing ok. :)

I have a question, that is possible to be answered by those of us over sixty or anyone much younger, also. Since there are so many "a"s, "semi", "demi", "grey", "repulsed", 'libidoless', etc. forms; what is the definition of 'romance'? If I am going to describe myself as an "asexual, aromantic", which I believe I am because I want nothing to do with any personal relationship other than a platonic friendship, I need to be certain I have the correct basis, but the 'list of reasons' is getting longer all the time!

It used to involve the pursuit of a relationship; involving dating, pampering with flowers, candy and perfumes/colognes, small touches, hugs and general ulterior motives, possibly/hopefully on someone's part leading to sex. Does it still entail those things? Are there even more to watch out for, in this 'age of technology'? It isn't as if suitors are banging on my door, at my age and condition laugh.gif, I merely want the information I have to be up-to-date, in case my advice is asked for, regarding romance.

I consider myself a romantic and would love to have a close relationship with another person (short of the actual sex); the holding hands/cuddling is fine. Someone else may have different ideas though.

• Like 1

Tanwen: Thank you for keeping this Topic alive!

Do you feel that you will eventually become an aromantic? Is it something that evolves with us?

I merely want the information I have to be up-to-date, in case my advice is asked for, regarding romance.

It's best not to give advice regarding romance, since everyone defines it differently. In fact, it's probably best not to give advice on hardly anything. :lol:

• Like 1

Oh, yes, Sally. I have been 'stung' before! However, since I have escaped death's clutches several times in my life, and have been placed on a path of knowledge, I believe I am 'here' to help mankind; and not in a maudlin sense. My intuitions have proven to be true, and my 'workings' with the runes have been successful. Therefore, I use the generic term 'advice'; but I am very, very careful with whom I work.

It's best not to give advice regarding romance, since everyone defines it differently. In fact, it's probably best not to give advice on hardly anything. :lol:

Oh Sally, if it weren't for the fact you might steal my signature (the one about not needing anger management) I'd use that! :lol:

@ runester...I'm Taoist so I'm exactly the person I should be :D

Oh Sally, if it weren't for the fact you might steal my signature (the one about not needing anger management) I'd use that! :lol:

I would steal it in a nanosecond. :lol:

Tanwen: Thank you for your reply. Taoism, being a wonderful, Eastern-based religion/philosophy and caring of Nature and humanity, would rightly make you secure within its knowledge. :)

• 5 months later...

Hi, everyone. I'm 67, African American and live near Buffalo, New York. I'm newly identifying as asexual after a lifetime of being sexual without any enjoyment. I'm new to the site also and just finding my way around the forums. Nice to see at least a few oldsters like myself here although not as many as i'd hoped to see.

Welcome gk01 :D let me be the first to offer some welcome :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: (it's a silly tradition but fin :) ). I only found AVEN 8 years ago and, like you, had spent a lifetime trying to fit in. You've come to the friendliest forum on the board - well, we like to think so. I hope you'll like it here and decide to stay...jump in and post, everyone will be pleased to meet you. :D

*By the way, I'm 63 :) *

Thanks for the welcome Tanwen. I'm sure I'll feel at home as soon as I find my way around. :) A little concerned that none of the posts

seem to be very recent though.

Hello, gk01. You may be surprised by how many "Olders" will pop out of the woodwork!

I am in my late 60s, but post more often on the "...past 50s" site. It is a great, friendly community of us older-folk. Please check it out, and feel free to say I recommended you, if you choose to post there. You will find more activity and a fine group of people. You only have to read back a few pages to get the general 'drift' of this site. I look forward to seeing you there. :)

• 3 weeks later...
It seems like there are a lot of younger (20s,30s,40s) asexuals on this forum. And, that's great! I wish I had come out as asexual at a much younger age. I could have saved myself a lot of heartache. Don't get me wrong, I love younger people. But, I'm 60 and have been out as asexual for over 15 years, having formerly, begrudgingly, disgustingly engaged in sex. I'm so glad to have found AVEN but was hoping to connect with others around my age without having to sift through the numerous topics. Is there a forum for seniors and I just couldn't find it? If not, does anyone else think there should be one?

I meant for the subitle of this topic to be ...forum for 50+?"

That's great.

vera scroggins
It seems like there are a lot of younger (20s,30s,40s) asexuals on this forum. And, that's great! I wish I had come out as asexual at a much younger age. I could have saved myself a lot of heartache. Don't get me wrong, I love younger people. But, I'm 60 and have been out as asexual for over 15 years, having formerly, begrudgingly, disgustingly engaged in sex. I'm so glad to have found AVEN but was hoping to connect with others around my age without having to sift through the numerous topics. Is there a forum for seniors and I just couldn't find it? If not, does anyone else think there should be one?

I meant for the subitle of this topic to be ...forum for 50+?"

just found this; Watched Jay in an asexual documentary tonight; excited to know that people similar to what I am discovering past couple of years; that sex is something I don't want to engage in any further and found that I prefer to connect without it and want closeness and intimacy without sex. and am 61.

I too am sixty years old. I have been asexual as far back as I can remember. I am also a "stone" as described in this forum. It is a new term to and for me. Dare I say it, "you're never too old to learn."

I mostly coincide with your point of view yet I feel age is unimportant when people want to express or comunicate their ideas or feelings. To an apt listener, all that matters is who lives inside the body and not its age.

Hi I'm in the overs category but actually am 29 going on 31 trapped in an aging body that has to be constantly whipped into shape in order to continue life's great adventure without becoming lethargic and dull. I don't see age, I see people, especially as I dont intend to have sex with any of them. That means each person is a rare gift and I am happy to join a chat furum about life,the universe, everything, books and...let's face it...we all want to chat about being ace, trials tribulations and the relief of it. It is easier as we age but still feels like an invisible race. Happy to chat.

• Like 1
I mostly coincide with your point of view yet I feel age is unimportant when people want to express or comunicate their ideas or feelings. To an apt listener, all that matters is who lives inside the body and not its age.

It does depend upon whether or not you wish to discuss one's latest gf or bf, the sales at the mall, fashion, wiggles & giggles-type stuff, etal. It is good to be able to view folk from a large scope with archetypes and not necessarily from a stilted group. There is the very real issue of, 'been there-done that'. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, everyone! Thought I'd pop in and say howdy-do. Although I'm not in my sixties, Biro did mention something about the subtitle for this thread being "50+", and I do fit in that category! Although I recognize some of the names here (Hi, Runester!), others I don't. Who-all is still actively posting, does anybody know? Everyone here sounds like folks I'd like to get to know. Anyway, y'all take care.

Welcome, you don't have to be any age to post in Oldies... I'm 63 but I don't let it stop me from posting in the 30/40 etc threads :) . Glad to see you here and have some welcome :cake: :cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake: