Can a heterosexual person be homo-romatic

nondescript

nondescript

Asexuals aren't necessarily aromantic, so can hetero-, homo-, and bi-sexuals have different romantic orientation from their sexual orientation? Does anyone know of this happening? I guess it wouldn't really be ideal to be romantically interested in only girls if you sexually like only guys, but bi-romantic seems pretty plausible.

Gho St Ory Qwan

I know it's possible. I can't tell if anyone I know of is like this as it's not the sort of thing I remember about people (seeing as it doesn't concern me, probably). But yeah, it's possible.

Cake be with you, my friend.

pancakeattack

Yeah, the discussion of attraction is fascinating: romantic and/or sexual. I'm afraid I don't have any meaningful thoughts on the actual topic, but I find the intense variety in asexuality fascinating.

It's absolutely possible, but knowledge of romantic orientation as a thing is much more uncommon among non-asexuals, so I've never managed to actually find anyone who identifies that way? But it's not contradictory or anything! It could happen.

Just recently I encountered somebody on AVEN who identifies this way.

As for me, I am the opposite - homosexual hetero-romantic. I am a woman who is attracted to women, but only sexually. I am not proud of the fact that I see other women in this way and (in these situations) only this way. It makes me feel like the stereotypical male who reduces women to sexual objects. I do not think it is a good thing. But I am attracted to women, and they are always the ones in my fantasies.

I am however romantically attracted to men. I do not see myself in a romantic relationship with a woman, but I do have the desire to be with certain men romantically (and in these situations am possibly demisexual....? Still trying to figure that one out).

Perhaps this is part of the reason I can identify with asexuals. The idea that sexual and romantic attraction are not mutually inclusive makes a lot more sense to me than most sexuals, and I also can sympathize with trying to make a romantic relationship work without being able to reciprocate sexual feelings.

Institutionilized

That's a good question. Theoretically it would seem so. If you break it down, it would make sense for someone to be sexually attracted to someone without feeling the romantic attraction to a certain sex, while feeling romantic attraction without feeling the sexual attraction to another sex. A very fascinating question that'd make good discussion, although neither orientation seems to contradict the other. That is, of course, for the heterosexual/homo-romantic orientation alone though. ^_^

I know a guy who identifies as that. I was explaining my orientation to him & he said "That's how I feel about men but I only want to have sex with women" So yeah, it's possible but as Antares said it's uncommon among sexuals to have an understanding of it.

Perhaps raising visibility would bring greater understanding of themselves to many sexuals too? :-)

though i have never seen a homoromantic heterosexual, i've seen biromantic heterosexuals, and hetero/homoromantic bisexuals. i believe it's possible. otherwise it would mean only asexuals have a full spectrum of romantic orientation, and would complicate things further.

perhaps heterosexuals never explore their own attraction? having been always considered "normal", they want to stay the same way? i mean, we've even seen homosexuals pretending to be straight (remember the ex-gays?), so it's possible a homoromantic hetero would always hide their feelings

foxwithwings13

yep that would be me!! im a homoromantic heterosexual.

i think it is pretty unusual.. seeing as i've only ever heard of a few people who identified this way.

Before i ever heard of what romantic orientation was I really depressed about the whole thing..

Because I've always thought women were beautiful. Ive always wanted to spend the rest of my life living with a girl i'd fall in love with. I've only ever had crushes on girls, only ever had a real desire to kiss or cuddle with someone who was a female. For a few years i identified myself as a lesbian :P

But i just dont feel the need to do anything sexual with them.. there is just no desire there for that.

with men however, its different. i dont have much aesthetic attraction towards men, never had a crush on a guy, being in a relationship with a guy just doesn't seem right to me.. and kissing guys.. im a little disgusted by. But for some reason I almost always get aroused by men, and only feel drawn towards men when it comes to doing anything sexual.

Romance and sex to me just dont fit in the same box :blush:

Soo... its weird, but it definantly exists

passionatefriend61

Oh, yes, these mixed orientation sexuals exist! I wrote a few posts on my Tumblr that included this identity concept and broke down all the different forms of attraction and you would not believe how many likes and reblogs I got! I was amazed. A lot of people reblogged and commented: "OMG, This is me! Someone understands! I'm not alone!"

So I think visibility and education are issues, certainly, just as they are for the asexy community. I'm hoping that I personally help raise awareness of mixed orientation sexuals through my work because I think it'll be so liberating for those individuals, not to mention it'll open up new relationship possibilities and change the way people think of relationships.

:)

so is this

(a)..greedy having your cake and eat it

(b)..so confused grab hold of as many interpretaions as possible just in case

©..real

Brian XOXOXO

As per the discussion above, yes, it's definitely possible.

The thing with this is perhaps sexuals who identify this way haven't differentiated their attractions. Perhaps guys who are heterosexual that like to surround themselves with their male friends, and bond much more closely with male friends is a homoromantic heterosexual. I think this is a really interesting subject, and it would be great if more orientations like this are explored and studied in the future.

• 3 months later...

yep that would be me!! im a homoromantic heterosexual.

i think it is pretty unusual.. seeing as i've only ever heard of a few people who identified this way.

Before i ever heard of what romantic orientation was I really depressed about the whole thing..

Because I've always thought women were beautiful. Ive always wanted to spend the rest of my life living with a girl i'd fall in love with. I've only ever had crushes on girls, only ever had a real desire to kiss or cuddle with someone who was a female. For a few years i identified myself as a lesbian :P

But i just dont feel the need to do anything sexual with them.. there is just no desire there for that.

with men however, its different. i dont have much aesthetic attraction towards men, never had a crush on a guy, being in a relationship with a guy just doesn't seem right to me.. and kissing guys.. im a little disgusted by. But for some reason I almost always get aroused by men, and only feel drawn towards men when it comes to doing anything sexual.

Romance and sex to me just dont fit in the same box :blush:

Soo... its weird, but it definantly exists

Foxwithwings13 I can relate to what you have written, almost 100%. My orientation is made up of a strong homoromantic asexual part and I also am able have thoughts about men (physically not romantically) and enjoy that.

Archived