Touching  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to be touched?

• yes, by anyone
    • yes, but only by friends/family/partner
    • yes, but only by a partner
    • no, not at all

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm panromantic, and voted that i like being touched by friends, family and by a partner.

I don't mind if i'm touched by people I don't know much, but I like to hug my famiyl friends etc. And i love cuddles and holding hands with my partner.

ChangelingGirl

I am not sur ewh tmy romantic orientation is (probably panromantic) and I like touch by certain people, under certain circumstances. Sometimes, however, I can't stand touch.

I'm somewhere inbetween aromanticity and romanticity.

That depends. I like to be touched by those I feel close to. I can touch (comfort) people who are sad or something alike, or when I just feel like doing it; in both cases the initiative has to be mine, otherwise if someone touched me first, it'd make me feel extremely uncomfortable.

IvoryStardust

Heteroflexible-romantic, voted like being touched by friends/family/partner

Like a few others have said, I'm totally touch starved. My issue, though, is that I have to have a bond of some sort and a great deal of trust (which isn't easy for me) before I'm okay letting someone touch me. So it doesn't happen much.

I generally don't like being touched apart from casual stuff. I'll do the family hug/kiss thing, but really only because it's expected.

reasonsfordefyingreason

I am totally aromantic and I only enjoy hugging my 3rd oldest brother who is extremly affectionate. My 2nd oldest autistic brother shows affection through hi 5s and getting people to shout in his ears (is that a common autistic thing?) which I occasionally do.

Don't like it, I get really uncomfortable. I do like to touch though. People who like to be touched score big time with me, because I'm good at "petting".

I absolutely love hugs, but only when they are from people who I am really close to.

And it usually takes men a good six years of knowing someone well before I feel really feel even remotely close to people so there aren't that many people on my list >.<

And if other people try and hug me then I get uncomfortable. But not that many people try that lol

RandomGirlK

It depends on the person. I hate being touched by strangers, even accidentally. I dont like being touched by family, although may give hugs to my parents or siblings if Im in the right mood and theyve done something nice for me. I am fine with being touched by friends, I love hugs!

No, not really, I'm fine with touching to a certain extent but I loathe skin to skin contact with virtually everyone (it feels like it burns).

I only hate certain people touching me, which is most people, but I'm either fine with or I tolerate it.

However I don't feel any of the options fit me. I'm more or less adverse to it coming from most people but indifferent when it's other people.

I'm a Heteroromantic Female also.

I guess you could say that I do like toughing certain people but I never instigate touch. But it's only certain people I like touching, most people I can't stand touching. Which is weird because I like to cuddle but I find almost no one is worth cuddling and those who are almost never want to cuddle with me. Or maybe it's because I like to be touched in what people consider an odd way. I prefer to be petted, like on my head, have my hair played with.

To me, touching or letting you play with my hair is a show of trust and letting my guard down around someone. Which is probably why I don't let people touch me in general, because I don't trust people.

Gosh! I'm so complicated!

Well anyway, some family, some friends, I don't mind touching me but with others I tolerate it and with others I'll swat them away for touching me.

I answered "yes, but only by friends/family/partner", and I am heteroromantic asexual.

I can't stand being touched by strangers, and old people (at least where I live) do it all the time in the bus for instance. They don't hesitate to push you aside and all when you're on their way.

I don't really mind being touched by close friends.

Weirdly, even though I like him, I strongly dislike being touched by my father, but I have no problem touching him. The only persons who can touch me as much as they want are my mother and my best friend.

But whoever you are, don't touch my face, I hate it. :lol:

I voted “no, not at all” and I am aromantic. I’ve more-or-less resigned to handshakes as it is considered rude not to, but I am not a fan. I have never liked hugs from anyone, however close, and find any physical contact awkward in general.

I hate being touched by any person besides my best friend, whom I'm currently in a non-romantic, intimate (as we both call it), sexual relationship with. I really hate being touched by my family, because they do it all wrong, and I don't really let most people touch me, because I don't want them to get their germs on me.

I'm demisexual and aromantic.

Julie the Back-breaker

I was in a relationship with a guy for three years and I could hardly stand holding hands, much less cuddling, or, goodness forbid, kissing. I do not crave touch and I wouldn't say I like it but I do huggles family and I let my friends huggles me but that is about it. I cannot stand being touched when it is instigated by an intimate feeling.

I'm (mostly) aromantic and hate being touched because I'm haphephobic. The only time I don't mind is when animals or children touch me (I don't know why!)

I imagine that if I ever had a really good friend or a queerplatonic partner, possibly even a romantic partner?, I would be okay with and even enjoy touching, hugs, cuddling, POSSIBLY kissing, etc...

• 3 weeks later...

I put yes with family/friends and I'd say I'm heteroromantic.

Personally I love hugs particularly with those I'm close to. Occasionally I'll go for a peck on the cheek but not often.

DracoBorealis

I'm heteroromantic asexual, but I don't do relationships.

As for touching, I completely hate it if strangers do it. One should not touch another person without permission.

If it's someone I know, I'm more forgiving, but I still don't like it much because it makes me feel awkward.

That's just with "regular touching". Anything sexual is an absolute no-no.

Just no. I'd rather be left alone in the middle of nowhere than ever to know someone would want to be intimate with me or shows sign of their idealized love as a hermit.

Glad to see others voted “No, not at all.” Felt bad before hitting vote. lol

- - -

Semi-Aromatic (Pan)

I’m fine with hand holding or a kiss on the cheek/forehead. But the touch has to be brief. And by someone I’m extremely close to. Touch, in general, scares me. To the point of repulsion.

I'm aromantic sexual and don't particularly like being touched if it isn't sexual. It's not really unpleasant, but it is distracting.

TRAlexzandria

uhm im largely aromantic but i can lean toward heteroromantic as long as the male is androgynous....

odd i know

I HATE being touched by anyone other than people close to me and even then a little goes a long way. I enjoy hugging and sitting close with my friends but i still need my space. I hate being touched by people other than my intimate friends to the point that i usually end of hitting them....

I'm grey-a and probably panromantic.

Edited to say: I was just thinking about this topic and it made me giggle - something that my sister-in-all-but-blood used to say about me was that I must have been feline in a past life. One of the reasons why was because of my personal space bubble - just like a cat, my personal space is intensely variable; sometimes I have no personal space and I'll want to be right up in yours, and sometimes woe betide the unwary soul who comes within three metres of me! And back to what I had said originally now. . .

I love hugging and even just casually touching friends/family/partner - I get really, really uncomfortable, like to the point of a fight-or-flight response, when people I don't know well/don't feel comfortable with touch me, though.

I'm actually a bit more comfortable with initiating touches, of any sort, myself, than when someone else does, but I'm okay with it as long as I'm not terrifically startled, and I suspect that comes from an inherent loathing of being startled and an abusive childhood.

Also, of course, I love any kind of touching - including curling up on a beanbag chair next to my very big and bulky guy best friend, for hours at a time, when I was younger - as long as it doesn't feel like it is sexual or leading to being sexual to me. That doesn't even necessarily have anything to do with what the other person thinks of it - that same friend would have been happy, as a very 'touchy' kind of person himself, to have me sit on his lap when we curled up together, and in no way considered that a sexual thing, so much as what he would do with any of his close friends (who were small enough to make it comfortable, at least!), but I didn't like it because it felt over the line to me.

Touches that are too light actually make me tense up sometimes, oddly - like barely-there hugs, for example - and if I go too long without at the very least a proper hug, or not enough of them, I feel tense and I know my mood takes kind of a nosedive. :(

Oh, and aside from all that . . . I really have an intense dislike of sharing a bed, for some reason, though I've enjoyed napping near a few people (mostly friends, not partners). I think that might be because I have insomnia, and I'm a restless sleeper - I worry about disturbing someone else, as well as having an even harder time sleeping because of their movements/sounds.

I know that most people have a far lesser desire for touches like that, though - including some who have literally no desire to be touched if it isn't necessary, I've had friends like that - and I think that all of that, from my sometimes hyper-desire for it, to people even more so than I, to people who don't like it at all, fits somewhere in a perfectly fine range. :) Everyone's different, that's all.

I do, to my shame :blush: sometimes have to have it pointed out to me that I am being too touchy with people - it isn't that I don't guess that people aren't comfortable with it, or that I assume everyone feels like I do - I just don't think about what I'm doing, is the trouble.

And here ends my way oversharing babble! It was most interesting to see other people's responses on the topic, too.

I'm aromantic.

Physical contact disturbs me. I'll hug my close friends if I'm not going to see them for a long time, but I won't even shake hands with strangers (sweaty palms, ewwww, ewww!) Even brushing past people in a crowd makes me uncomfortable.

The worst is when someone's skin touches mine. Like, if their arm is touching my arm, it's a horribly uneasy feeling. People are too warm and skin texture is freaky. Eugh.

It varies significantly depending on my comfort level around specific individuals, but holding hands with someone I was absolutely the closest to was the most I've ever been able to tolerate (even then it was only because they were in the ER, in mild distress).

aromantic and you can keep away from me please and thank you. No touchie.

I can hug and shake hands etc. I just prefer my personal bubble not be invaded

Archived