On io9

Siggy

Homosexuality is a sexual orientation. "Asexuality" is a disability. That it's a disability that, like amusia, means you don't quite get what all the fuss is about doesn't make it any less of a disability.

Why would not being sexually attracted to somebody be a disability?

*is kind of confused*

but seriously, what is this person trying to imply?

I'd comment too but I don't do well with ignorant people.

However the article to me had good and bad qualities about it. I like that it showed us as a legit orientation, but calling it "futuristic" is a bit...odd.

Well iv'e never thought of The Doctor as icon for asexuality, but i guess it makes sense.

Anyway, this.. summary seems positive, i like it.

"one of the benefits of asexuality is being able to embrace friendships as central emotional connections", best way of phrasing it iv'e seen so far.

Not sure i care much about the first reply >_>.

But, yeah i like it, it's insightful and informative :)

I'm just really annoyed by the constant insinuation that something needs to be "fixed."

Then there's the other part of me that wonders why they even care that other people aren't having sex. It's not as if my lack of desire to have sex impedes their ability to have a productive sex life. In fact I hope, for their sake and mine, that these people have all the sex they need and maybe then they'll stay off the Internet and stop making me facepalm :lol:.

sinisterporpoise

Yay, another Asexuals exist article on a website. Guess how much space I've devoted to it on Asexual News.

Let the sexuals sort out their surprise. We already *know* we exist.

However the article to me had good and bad qualities about it. I like that it showed us as a legit orientation, but calling it "futuristic" is a bit...odd.

I quote you here. It's not that bad of an article, but it's a little too daring. It's true that asexuality might be a biological response to the overgrowth of population, but it doesn't mean asexuals are "evolved". Plus, all the open relationship thing is a little off, as the statement "asexuals are trying to redefine friendship". What the heck? We're not trying to redefine anything at all and, to what I know, most romantic asexuals would rather have a monogamous relationship than an open one.

I thought it was interesting that they took the angle of "asexuality in sci-fi". I don't know if that's positive, but it's interesting.

The other day I read The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin. It was about a planet where everyone is androgynous and asexual most of the time, except for a few days out of every month. The main character, a male alien, speculated a lot on how this affected the society. But I chose to interpret many of these speculations as revealing his own biases rather than saying something about asexuality. :)

Qutenkuddly

Is io9.com not a site for sci-fi fandom? That would explain the sci-fi slant.

caffeinatedangel

I thought it was interesting that they took the angle of "asexuality in sci-fi". I don't know if that's positive, but it's interesting.

The other day I read The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin. It was about a planet where everyone is androgynous and asexual most of the time, except for a few days out of every month. The main character, a male alien, speculated a lot on how this affected the society. But I chose to interpret many of these speculations as revealing his own biases rather than saying something about asexuality. :)

That post on io9.com is what brought me here. The reason why they approach it from a sci-fi angle and refer to asexuality as "futuristic" is because it's a sci-fi and fantasy fandom blog. :) Because it is a sci fi blog, they would see it as a positive or neutral thing. Anyways - I really enjoyed their write-up. I was reading it and thought, "this is me!" I just thought I was alone or that something was wrong with me. That article pointed me to AVEN and showed me there is nothing wrong with me and that I am not alone.

I noticed some people on here said they were afraid to read the comments - well, io9 has always been an open and loving community of people from all walks of life. I read through the comments and there were a lot of aces that were members of io9 commenting, and others who, like me discovered they weren't alone through that post. There were little-to-no people saying things that would make you face-palm. People were really open and understanding about it. I can only remember a couple slightly cringe-worthy comments.

I know this isn't going to get a good reception but hear me out

for ages I have been pissed at the amount of anime and comicness of aven and this thread highlights my concerns were valid

the doctor who is the same thing..it paints asexuals as hiding from reality rather than just everyday people who happen to be asexuals

sometimes we can't blame others for getting the wrong side of the facts if we ourselves are oblivious to others perceptions of what is and isn't aven

as to the actual discussion siggs posted I think the main article wasn't too bad apart from slipping from lack of attraction to lack of desire halfway through

and yes some of the comments that followed were ignorant rather than hurtfull..i.e. confusing the lack of sexual attraction with..never having sex/relationships or children

also the continual comparissons to gay groups..this is another myth that often is seen that if you aren't sexually attracted to the opposite sex you must be gay

At some point I was reminded as it was a scifi forum and expected the x men last stand scenario to come in with "the cure"

in all I found it not to bad, attempted to put over what is and isn't, not the worse article I have seen,the comments after shows however we still have a long way to go before we can be seen more fully and accurately

Nameless123

"To simply write them off and say "oh, well, if you don;t know what you're missing, it must not matter!" is completely condescending. We should be respectful of people with disabilities, not simply ignore the fact that they're disabled. That's patronizing and ignorant."

This has got to be my "favourite" comment. To actually accuse the people who accept asexuality as an orientation of being the exact same things he is...! How is it even possible to think that way?