Zora

Suicidal because of asexuality?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever seriously considered committing suicide

• No
    • Yes, but I haven't attempted it
    • Yes, and I have attempted it
    • Other
  2. 2. Was your asexuality connected to your thoughts of suicide?

• Not at all
    • Very loosely
    • It was just everything, so asexuality was included
    • My asexuality was one of the main reasons
    • My asexuality was the main reason
    • It wouldn't have bothered me if I didn't already have depression
    • Other
    • Have never contemplated suicide

This poll is closed to new votes

Eh, I guess I have a bit more to add to this since the last suicide thread.

I've seriously considered suicide since I was six years old, but never attempted it until I was around sixteen or seventeen years old. I've attempted it (some attempts being very serious, some being meant to "punish" myself for whatever reason) quite a number of times since then, and even as recently as a couple of weeks ago. I still consider it on a nearly daily basis with some various degrees of severity.

None of it, however, has ever been due to my asexuality. My asexuality has been one of the only things I've ever been confident in and completely okay with. I don't exactly know what causes my suicidal thoughts, but I would guess that, in general, my severe depression and inferiority complex/self-loathing cause them (I can't remember a time I haven't been influenced by these). For individual cases, several life experiences would also be contributing factors.

Also, much :cake: and hugs to everyone who ever has considered it.

I fell under the heading of "Yes, and I have attempted it." The first time I attempted suicide was just out of general depression when I was 14, so I definitely wouldn't like that to asexuality, because I wasn't even aware of any type of sexuality at that point.

It's my second attempt where I'd say "very loosely", only because hindsight is 20/20. I was 17 and tired of feeling "broken" and "wrong", I was jealous of my friends with their "normal" lives, relationships, and feelings. It wouldn't have been enough to make me end it by itself though, it was compounded by having a lot of stress with school, home, family, and health issues. I don't think it was the ultimate cause for the things I did, but I think it was probably the straw that broke my back at that time.

I haven't had feelings like that since I entered or finished college though, so I definitely think there's something to be said for having a good support group of friends in college, even if they don't exactly know what they're supporting you through.

Ok, so, I've seen people online referring to a poll where 70 percent of us said we had considered suicide.

Who do you mean by "us"? There is no way of measuring 70% of asexuals.

I mean.. asexuals who voted in the last poll. My point was.. that people are saying that's seventy percent of asexuals, and saying it's because of their asexuality, quite often, which is obviously not true, so I wanted to try and straighten out at least one of those inaccuracies a little/

Agree with Sally

considering how many wrongly identify as asexual that poll can be nothing more than a skewered poll

Ok, so, I've seen people online referring to a poll where 70 percent of us said we had considered suicide.

Who do you mean by "us"? There is no way of measuring 70% of asexuals.

I mean.. asexuals who voted in the last poll. My point was.. that people are saying that's seventy percent of asexuals, and saying it's because of their asexuality, quite often, which is obviously not true, so I wanted to try and straighten out at least one of those inaccuracies a little/

Agree with Sally

considering how many wrongly identify as asexual that poll can be nothing more than a skewered poll

Mhm. Of course- all of them done here will be horribly skewed, but hopefully there'll be some real research done soon.

carrotcake

It is interesting that nobody has voted that their asexuality was the main reason. I'm glad for that.

I voted Yes- but never attempted in the first question, and that it only bothered me because I was already depressed at that point. I would also say that it bothered me at that point because I didn't completely understand the concept of asexuality, and I was probably very influenced by conforming society. I'd also say my romantic orientation (which still is leaving me confused even today) contributed to my depressive thoughts.

Then again, there was medication at play too.

Fluttershy

I think everyone thinks about dying sometimes. I haven't given it much serious consideration but it is something that creeps into my idle thoughts almost every day. I know I could never really go through with it, though.

• 3 weeks later...
leeleekitty

I have untreated depression, and I haven't considered suicide since I discovered this community. Longest I've ever gone since the first time ^-^

• 6 months later...

Yes, I've considered suicide when I was a child, but never tried. No, it had nothing to do with my asexuality.

• 1 month later...

I voted "yes, but I haven't attempted it", then "other".

I don't think it had anything to do with asexuality because I was only 10 yrs old at the time. I planned it and everything and came very very close to going through with it, but changed my mind at the last minute. Lucky I changed my mind, because my chosen method would have been extremely effective and I wouldn't have survived. Was just feeling sad that day, that's all I think, and a general underlying feeling of sorrow I've had.

I have thought about suicide many times since, but those thoughts don't cross my mind anymore. I think about my own death alot these days, but I don't think I would kill myself.

I try to be happy!...

I found this poll tricky.

I was depressed as a teenager and have experienced it in adulthood, too, although I was fascinated to realize that in adulthood, I recognized it for what it was (like, "Hey, this is like those commercials, asking if you cry for no good reason and stuff...I'm depressed and need medication! Kewl!").

Anyway, back in high school, I swore up and down that if I didn't have a boyfriend by age 18, I was going to kill myself. I don't know if that means I really "considered" it...would I have ever acted? I think not. But I was really messed up by the not having a boyfriend thing because I felt incredibly pathetic, and I'd always had really low self-esteem. I felt like even if I finally had a boyfriend in adulthood, it would never "erase" my flawed past and I'd never be normal. Fortunately (?), I whined to a guy about not having had a boyfriend, right around my 17th birthday, and he asked me out because he felt bad for me. So problem solved. Except of course...not really because here I am, some unspecified number of years later, and living alone (with cats!) because in the end, I don't want a farking boyfriend. FML. :-)

I think its more of a correlation thing. Growing up in a conservative community like I did, if you didnt show the appropriate interest in the opposite sex you were labeled a lesbian & other less appropriate synonyms. 10-15 years ago there was no such thing as asexual you were straight or there was something serioiusly wrong with you. I remember someone calling me a fagget for the first time when I was in 7th grade. I was too young to even know what that meant other than the person saying that really seemed to hate me for some reason even though I had never really had much interaction with her. After about 7th grade all my freinds dumped me (who wants to be the female freind of a someone thats branded a lesbian). The label along with the shunning & harassment that came with it followed me all thru high school. The light at the end of the tunnel was that once i graduated I would be free of that. Adults are much more polite about it & ive grown a thicker skin but there are still a lot of people who think that me being a non-dating single person means that i am wierd, someting is wrong with me, was molested as a kid... but younger people dont have that thick of a skin.

Asexuality isnt the cause of suicide it is people who are intolerant of people that are different thats the root of the problem. Im particularly fond of the rantings of right wing conservative christians in that regard. Growing up is hard enough as it is without having others treating you like shit,shunning you, or telling you there is something wrong with you because you are perceived to be a little different.It doesnt suprise me that there is a correlation between any orientation other than perfectly straight & suicide risk.

I've been depressed and antisocial since I was 3 years old. Heh... my preschool teacher was concerned because I never played with the other kids. I stayed in my own corner of the sandbox.

Grew up depressed, became a cutter because that's what all the cool kids do, and overdosed on my meds about 10 years ago. Friend came over, made me throw them up and took me to their place, where I promptly passed out. Apparently, I didn't move at all during the night, and M. had to hold a mirror under my nose to see if I was still breathing. Unfortunately, I was.

Think about it every day... especially at the beginning of each month, which is when I get a lot of my med refills. Asexuality doesn't really have anything to do with my being depressed.

I voted "Other" - I almost killed myself (I didn't consciously want to, I was in a really bad situation after a death in close family) and had to seek out professional help, but never actually attempted it.

Yes, however I was sexual at the time, so it has absolutely nothing to do with being Asexual in my case.

• 9 months later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Lady Girl, Moderator

Archived