Love and sex

oneofthesun

1. 1. For you, are love and sex connected?

• Yes
    • Sometimes but not always
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

oneofthesun

I hear a lot of asexuals here say they don't feel the supposed connection between love and sex. So I thought we should have an official poll on the subject...

indigowulf

I think it needs to be more specific- there are different types of love. I love my family, I love my pets, I love my boyfriend. The kind of love I have for my boyfriend has something.. different.. than the others. I answered with the assumption you meant romantic love.

For me they are, I could never have sex without the love in it.

AndrewGyne

Androromantic (or homoromantic) demisexual here.

My experience is that sex is contingent upon love ...

but love is not necessarily contingent upon sex.

sexandlove.jpg

As a heteroromantic asexual, I definitely feel sex and love are not connected for me. I feel deeply in love with a person (the only person I have ever had romantic feelings for) and never had any sexual feelings for him.

• 5 months later...

I'm saying No

I'm an aromatic asexual but I'm still going to say No, they're not connected.

A friend of mine, who is a sexual, can't have sex with anyone she loves, but has no problem with having sex with people she has no feelings for.

Not at all. I've been really contemplating it lately & I think I'm starting to see that connection people tend to have with it, but I still personally find it ridiculous that when sex (or even just the IDEA of sex) enters the picture, it automatically brings in a ton of emotional baggage with it.

WünderBâhr

My experience is that sex is contingent upon love ...

but love is not necessarily contingent upon sex.

My thoughts, exactly.

Love and Sex are not connected, at least not the love I'm thinking of.

Part of me thinks that if one loves the partner one would want whats good for them; sex is NOT good for them (own opinion, of course), so if a partner wanted sex, he (assuming it's a he) would not love the person.

• 3 months later...
Jack Havock

I wasn't sure what to vote here. I understand that sex is needed to have children, but I don't want to have sex with my crush.

Chrysanthalis

Erp. My eyes skipped over the "for you" part of the question, so I voted wrong.... :ph34r:

Fully asexual person here, and they aren't connected for me. However, I understand that they are for others who identify as sexual.

My understanding of the question is whether we feel there's an emotional connection between love and sex for us. Not if we need to love someone in order to tolerate sex (which would probably be "yes" for all asexuals who indeed tolerate sex).

I don't think that they're related that much. They can be, but often are not. This coming from what I've seen as a hetromantic ace.

if I have sex, it is only with person I love very deeply. Otherwise it wouldn't be honest.

• 2 weeks later...

No. Love exists without sex and sex exists without love.

• 1 month later...

At first I was gonna say no, then I thought "who knows, maybe in the future"... So i put sometimes. And in general I think that for most people sex and love can be related.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's possible. I've only ever had sex with my boyfriend, and since then I told myself I wouldn't do it with someone I didn't love. A lot of the times I did it with my boyfriend though it felt pretty loveless... makes it feel like sex is even more worthless. I mean, if I get no pleasure out of sex, and if I don't feel some kind of loving connection, what really is the point.

• 4 months later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Lady Girl, Moderator

Archived