If you need to prioritize your romantic or sexual identity, which one do you go for?

henrik

24 members have voted

1. 1. A complicated question. But I'm sure you'll figure it out.

• Romantic
    • Sexual

Randomness is the word of the day when the A Life team heads off to the unknown territories of an offtopic show. Although, to be honest, I don't know what the official word of the day is, so it probably is not randomness. In any case, the show features the special guestitude of Kendra.

Please do add your thoughts about the subject, but I urge you to listen to the show first. It will considerably clarify the poll and give tons of thought-provoking entertainment. You can find the show here:

http://alifepodcast.wordpress.com/

Sexual in my case, without a shadow of a doubt!!

But not because I think sex is more important than romance. It's more that my sexual orientation is (and always has been) as clear as daylight, whereas my romantic orientation is much more cloudy.

I'm more likely to talk about being asexual than to talk about being heteromantic, so if I'm reading this right that means I prioritize my sexual identity.

Even though I'm still going through a lot of introspection about my sexuality, I'm still far more sure about it than my romantic orientation. I voted sexual.

Asexy Existentialist

I'd prioritize my sexuality because I don't ever want to have sex. As far as romance goes... I can live with or without it, and I'm not too picky. But as far as sex goes, not having it is one of the most important priorities I have.

Romantic. I'm aro-ace, and it feels more like my aromantic identity excludes me more often than my asexual identity.

I definitely put my romantic identity ahead of my sexual identity in terms of prioritizing. I know that I'm asexual, but I'm still not entirely sure what my romantic orientation. That confusion is causing some personal problems, so I definitely put it ahead of my asexuality at this point. In other words, I voted romantic. :lol:

Ultimately, however, they would be equal once I get everything figured out.

I voted "romantic", meaning that I feel very hetero-affectionate, even if without the sexual part. I'm a person who gives great importance to love, and it changed my life a lot. If I were asked "are you heterosexual or asexual?" and couldn't say both, I'd pick the first.

However, it doesn't mean I would compromise my asexuality for a sexual. Just like Asexy Existentialist said, I wouldn't give up on asexuality for anyone. So, in that sense, asexuality (thus sexual identity) comes before romance.

CompassRose

It's a close contest, but when I really stop and think about it, I think my asexuality is more relevant to my life more of the time. As a demi-homoromantic, it's rare that I feel any kind of romantic spark. On the other hand, feeling confident about my asexuality has made a big difference in my understanding of my place in the world.

As a repulsed possibly aromantic ace, I find my sexual identity more important. I like romance in movies, books, etc. but try to avoid ones with sex.

Archived