1. 1. Do you think any God/s exist?

• Yes
    • Probably
    • Not sure
    • Probably not
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• 1 month later...

I believe in a God, but I don't know if it's the Christian God anymore, so I just describe myself as a monotheist with Christian leanings.

Ace of Swords

No. I don't believe in a God. I'm a Hermeticist. I believe in something called the All, which isn't a God but an unknowable force that is not involved in the affairs of mankind. It's more of an energy in motion sort of thing, kind of like the Big Bang but it dwells inside of everything. It's not holy or sacred or anything, it just is.

I was raised as an Christian. But I never really believed in god, so I left the church when I was old enough. My father was very disappointed about that, but I think now he is resigned to the fact. ^_^

So is there a "Christian" God and then there are other gods? If not, and there's only one God for everyone, why call it the Christian God? Or does the Christian God only care about Christians?

Ace of Swords

So is there a "Christian" God and then there are other gods? If not, and there's only one God for everyone, why call it the Christian God? Or does the Christian God only care about Christians?

No... a Christian God is a God who *is* a Christian, said deity reads the Bible, goes to church with the other Christian Gods and condemns all the Gods of Other Faiths to God-Hell. :P

Erisian Discordian and Chaos Magician here.

No... a Christian God is a God who *is* a Christian, said deity reads the Bible, goes to church with the other Christian Gods and condemns all the Gods of Other Faiths to God-Hell. :P

Ah. Thank you, I thought as much. :lol:

Maybe there's something. Maybe there's nothing. I have no idea.

I don't think that the God of the christian faith or the gods of the ancient world are very realistic, so I don't believe in anything like that wholeheartedly, (in spite of being raised from day-one in a good 'ole christian home.)

I think I believe in something like a grand consciousness that maybe (or not) influences the structure of the universe somehow. Relating to that, I also vaguely believe that there is no heaven, hell, or purgatory. Consciousness, which we all seem to have, does not work the way the rest of the universe does. The mind doesn't follow the laws of physics. I think that consciousness tries to find a body that can harbor it, and in that regard, we are all re-released in death with little to no memory of our past lives because memories are stored in our physical brains, I think.

So, digressing, whatever 'god' might be out there probably doesn't give too many sh*ts about what we do here on Earth.

And that's what I think. To add on to the crazy, I believe that we are all physically kin to the sun, all of us (sun, planets, people, moons, et cetera) children of the star that died before us.

/endcrazy

Pandora's Fox

I believe we do not know for sure, because I know we do not know for sure.

Yet.

I'm agnostic, but more atheist than anything else.

newbornheart

I now that God is real, because I am washed in the blood of the lamb and headed to Heaven when I die

as for the being Asexual part I feel the Lord would have not made us this way unless he had a purpose

the Bible says that every creature has a purpose, and I know we are special for a reason, not knowing

what that is but eager to be used.

I am a Christian, but do not associate myself with any particular church.

• 2 weeks later...
blackwingsblackheart

I'm Neopagan and have no idea how to answer. Exist in what sense: as discrete personalities, as archetypes in the human unconscious, as the deistic Great Spirit, what? Personally, I tend to conceive of the Goddess as "the spark of life", whatever that thing or process is that transforms molecular compounds into living cells. I figure that's the greatest mystery out there, and more deserving of worship and awe than anything else I can think of. Individual gods and goddesses, the ones we know from mythology, I usually think of as filters or masks we humans apply to help ourselves understand and approach the greater mystery. A religion of metaphor, perhaps. Much less fun and comforting than literal belief, which I don't mean to mock (we all have our own approach to the Divine) but for me, intellectually satisfying.

I'm a christian but I disagree with some of what most, but not all, churches say. For example, I don't believe that being gay, transgender, or anything else is a sin, and I don't believe evolution and God are necessarily mutually exclusive. I've also found that many churches are incredibly unwelcoming to people who are different than them and it really frustrates me.

I can not vote, because my answer is really something like "potentially I believe in any god, but I don't like much this particular one, so I won't give him a thought."

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a secular humanist and while I find religion to have it's good points and bad points I find it has little to do with shaping who I am and what I believe in life. I do the right thing because it feels right, and it feels humane, and not because a deity demands so, and it's unlikely that one does exist, or at least in any sense we can comprehend.

I do reach out for God when I am in deep trouble...just asking him/her for help..But I don't normally believe in it, more the forces of nature.

5_♦♣

Yes, but not in a mono or even polytheistic way. Rather, I believe the universe is God.

I consider myself to be agnostic and while lean more towards the "I don't think that there is a god" idea, I can't say that there isn't one, nor can I say there is one. Spiritually, it just doesn't pertain to my life. But religion as a whole pretty much just disgusts me (no offense intended)....probably worse than the idea of sex. As an asexual, I see myself becoming sexual before becoming religious lol

• 2 weeks later...

Theist (Christian, but 'theist' is more central to what I believe), and fairly devout faith-wise, but also an agnostic, and I have a tendancy to get rather annoyed at people who try to make definitive statements either way and dismiss the other side.

DarkDefender

I voted "no". There're actually few things I'm more sure about than that there isn't any kind of god.

This.

Oh yes that is exactly how I feel :)

Atheist here.

I feel a sort of magnetic attraction for religious myths though, whatever religion they may come from. They're like fantasy stories.

lol, they are fantasy stories.

Atheist.

I have a weak lingering belief that more just has to do with my background than anything else. Generally, I don't give the subject any thought on a day to day basis unless someone asks, "Do you believe?", at which point, I'll generally just say, "Yes" more to make it easier to move on with life than to actually seriously discuss it.

I'd type more, but I can scarcely convince myself that there's much value in expressing beyond that.

Please be careful, and don't make insulting comments aimed toward other (groups of) people.

Be respectful of others.

Thank you :cake:

Larien, Census mod

my_name_is_coco

Yes. I'm a Roman Catholic.I still have faith in goodness.

Batman's Ace

Yes, God according to a Christian understanding of the concept. I hesitate to say "the" Christian understanding, since the various denominations can disagree to quite an extent, but I do believe in one of them.

I'm actually surprised so many people have answered a definite "yes". From some of the discussions on AVEN, I expected a much smaller minority. I guess it's a matter of who posts versus who votes.

Voted probably.

Was baptized Lutheran as a baby, attended several different types of churches erratically throughout my childhood and teen years...

Was confirmed Lutheran in my late teens, but I'm still a pretty erratic churchgoer. Don't have very super-strong beliefs, but I feel that Christianity has been a more constant part of my life than anything else, and it's kind of a comfort to feel that something's out there.

Archived