Sexual pleasure

BlackRose

I'm aromantic and asexual, but I can enjoy the physical stimulation of partnered sex. I just don't have sex anymore because I dislike the social and emotional aspects, I'm not good at faking "mushiness." My sex drive comes and goes, but I'd prefer to take care of it myself, rather than have to deal with the whole charade that goes with dating and finding partners, not to mention risks of STDs or pregnancy. And I hate things like cuddling and kissing, and foreplay seems stupid to me for the most part. Because there is no emotional component to sex for me, I prefer masturbation. That way, it lasts as long as I want, and no one wants me to cuddle or say "I love you" after. And if I get bored and change my mind, I can just stop and no one is upset about it.

evanescence

I don't mean feeling aroused or horny... I mean the actual pleasure from sexual stimulation.

What some people don't seem to realize is that feeling turned on directly affects the pleasure quotient of sexual stimulation. I've only been truly turned on a handful of times in my life, and what I discovered then was that self-stimulation felt much, much more pleasurable. It makes sense, because psychological arousal leads to genital engorgement, which makes the nerve endings much more sensitive. Bottom line, I don't think you can separate the physical sensation from the sense of being turned on. If asexuals derive less physical pleasure from sex, I suspect it's because they're less turned on.

E.

BlackRose

I don't mean feeling aroused or horny... I mean the actual pleasure from sexual stimulation.

What some people don't seem to realize is that feeling turned on directly affects the pleasure quotient of sexual stimulation. I've only been truly turned on a handful of times in my life, and what I discovered then was that self-stimulation felt much, much more pleasurable. It makes sense, because psychological arousal leads to genital engorgement, which makes the nerve endings much more sensitive. Bottom line, I don't think you can separate the physical sensation from the sense of being turned on. If asexuals derive less physical pleasure from sex, I suspect it's because they're less turned on.

E.

You can have aroused genitals even without psychological arousal, though. For men as well as women, exposure to certain things, or being physically touched, can send blood flow to the genitals and cause engorgement. For me, personally, I will get erect from physical touch even if I'm not psychologically aroused. And for women, there are studies that show that watching a sex scene can cause genital arousal even when the women report no psychological arousal.

I think you're right, though, that feeling more turned on makes the pleasure greater.

BlackRose

I don't think that the reason is only being rather anhedonic for me.

The concept that sex is supposed to be different then masturbation other then being awkward is counter intuitive for me. It would be like expecting different fork to make the meal taste differently I can have little sensation for stimulating the organ in specific way, what other person have to do with that? I don't feel like there is anything special about lubricated hole.

Hmm. Well, as far as the physical sensation goes, the stimulation from intercourse is very different than masturbation. The lubrication and pressure and texture of a vagina (or anus) are all different from the way your hand feels.

There's a mental side of it as well: seeing a naked girl makes me more aroused and excited which adds to it.

The concept that sex is supposed to be different then masturbation other then being awkward is counter intuitive for me. It would be like expecting different fork to make the meal taste differently I can have little sensation for stimulating the organ in specific way, what other person have to do with that? I don't feel like there is anything special about lubricated hole.

Hmm. Well, as far as the physical sensation goes, the stimulation from intercourse is very different than masturbation. The lubrication and pressure and texture of a vagina (or anus) are all different from the way your hand feels.

There's a mental side of it as well: seeing a naked girl makes me more aroused and excited which adds to it.

Ok what about condoms, and the other way around how is dildo with condom so different then penis with a condom on it?

I guess that you could ask lesbians if strap on make sex feel to them different physically or only emotionally.

You can have aroused genitals even without psychological arousal, though. For men as well as women, exposure to certain things, or being physically touched, can send blood flow to the genitals and cause engorgement. For me, personally, I will get erect from physical touch even if I'm not psychologically aroused. And for women, there are studies that show that watching a sex scene can cause genital arousal even when the women report no psychological arousal.

How is being touched by somebody else physically different then touching yourself? Seems like there is subconscious psychological element there to me or else what would be the difference? Trying to giggle yourself for most people (those without schizophrenia) feels different then being giggled by somebody else but I doubt that they are concious of any psychological reasons behind it.

btw. I am schizoid, and it feels the same when I giggle myself, or somebody else giggles me. (oh and wikipedia is outdated so don't check there)

BlackRose

Ok what about condoms, and the other way around how is dildo with condom so different then penis with a condom on it?

I guess that you could ask lesbians if strap on make sex feel to them different physically or only emotionally.

Condoms and dildos would also change the physical sensation.

How is being touched by somebody else physically different then touching yourself? Seems like there is subconscious psychological element there to me or else what would be the difference? Trying to giggle yourself for most people (those without schizophrenia) feels different then being giggled by somebody else but I doubt that they are concious of any psychological reasons behind it.

My point was that touch, either yourself or someone else, can make a person aroused physically even if they are not aroused psychologically.

It's the surprise that makes tickling different: when you try to tickle yourself you know where to expect the touch and what it will feel like.

I agree, psychological factors can make a difference in how things feel, just like physical factors.

Condoms and dildos would also change the physical sensation.

Condoms sure but they don't stop people from having sex, dildos dunno it is really so hard to make something physically similar to penis? My point with condom was that you can get rid of the hardest to replicate difference by putting condom on the dildo.

My point was that touch, either yourself or someone else, can make a person aroused physically even if they are not aroused psychologically.

Hm so? Physical arousal can be felt like almost nothing, and have no pleasure component.

t's the surprise that makes tickling different: when you try to tickle yourself you know where to expect the touch and what it will feel like.

No tickling is supposed to feel different even if you know that somebody is tickling you, it differs less then why you don't know it but it does.

You don't feel how your mind psychologically changes that physical sensation so why assume that your mind doesn't change physical sensation when you have sex just because you know that you have sex, it would make a perfect sense for a mind to do so.

I'm an aromantic asexual and I neither need sex nor do I feel anything special while having it,there isn't even an emotioal component to it for me (most of the time I think of totally sex-unrelated things during intercourse). When I'm in a relationship it's okay for me to have sex with my partner once in a while, if he wants it, but I never initiate it myself (I'm not really comfortable with being naked in front of another person and I'm disgusted by bodily fluids - not the best premise to have a (partly) sexual relatonship , I know :lol: ).While orgasms are nice, I can reach them easier and way more comfortable by myself than by having sex with another person. So for me, it's really hard to understand why people want to have sex and why it feels so exceptional like it's often described.

Yeah, that makes sense. A big part of it for me is that I am fine with being naked around anyone (even strangers) and I reach orgasm much easier with someone else.

I'm aromantic and asexual, but I can enjoy the physical stimulation of partnered sex. I just don't have sex anymore because I dislike the social and emotional aspects, I'm not good at faking "mushiness." My sex drive comes and goes, but I'd prefer to take care of it myself, rather than have to deal with the whole charade that goes with dating and finding partners, not to mention risks of STDs or pregnancy. And I hate things like cuddling and kissing, and foreplay seems stupid to me for the most part. Because there is no emotional component to sex for me, I prefer masturbation. That way, it lasts as long as I want, and no one wants me to cuddle or say "I love you" after. And if I get bored and change my mind, I can just stop and no one is upset about it.

How would you feel about someone you could just "use" for sex, without the social or emotional stuff or the cuddling and foreplay you don't like?

How would you feel about someone you could just "use" for sex, without the social or emotional stuff or the cuddling and foreplay you don't like?

I've been asked this before, and I don't know. I can't see it working out, and for me, it's just not worth any of the trouble or risks involved (possible drama or hurt feelings in addition to the usual risks of pregnancy, STDs, etc.). I once thought I had such a relationship, but eventually the guy got upset that I wouldn't say I loved him, I didn't cuddle, and I wouldn't dress up in "sexy" clothes. And I liked the guy, as a friend. The romance stuff just feels awkward to me. Since I really don't get more out of partnered sex than masturbation, and I don't do that much either, I just don't see the point of bothering with it.

Kathy The Highlighter

Well.. I consider myself grey-A for the reason that I've never felt a strong physical drive to have sex.

People tell me about how great it is, and I'd like to have it for that reason, but if no one ever told me about sex, I'd probably go my whole life without it and be fine.

I got bored after a few minutes the times I've tried masturbating, though for a moment or two I'll feel a jolt of a nice feeling that I assume is something akin to sexual pleasure. I can see how some people would like it, but I don't feel the need to go out of my way to get it. :P

The best metaphor I can think of is that I'd like to have sex much in the same way as I'd like to travel. I'd really like to travel to Europe one day, it looks like a beautiful place to visit, and a really enjoyable vacation. It's something I want to experience at least once in my life, but I don't feel a deep internal biological drive to just get on a plane and fly all the way over there right now this minute. Sex and orgasms are like that to me. and experience I'd like to have, but not one I feel a powerful drive for.

I also don't really seem to get "horny" or "turned on", though I have occasionally experience something that MIGHT be being turned on, it doesn't directly related to the act of sex...it's more of just a general feeling of -want- that I can't describe, and it's very rare and doesn't come along with physical arousal.

I'm unusual. I seem a lot more interested in sex than most asexuals, but I'm a lot less interested in it than most sexuals. But I suppose that's what the grey-A label is for :P

I got bored after a few minutes the times I've tried masturbating, though for a moment or two I'll feel a jolt of a nice feeling that I assume is something akin to sexual pleasure. I can see how some people would like it, but I don't feel the need to go out of my way to get it. :P

What if that nice feeling were over 9000 times stronger? Would that change anything?

By the way I love your name.. why are you a highlighter? Also I was born in Michigan and lived there for a long time.

A big part of it for me is that I am fine with being naked around anyone (even strangers) and I reach orgasm much easier with someone else.

Can you explain to me how can you feel OK with being naked around anyone, even strangers? Were you always like this or did you get used to it at some stage of your life? Do you think you look so perfect and sexy that you don´t feel ashamed? Or how does it work? Because I don´t understand it at all.

Kathy The Highlighter

What if that nice feeling were over 9000 times stronger? Would that change anything?

By the way I love your name.. why are you a highlighter? Also I was born in Michigan and lived there for a long time.

Yeah, it would. In fact, I'm thinking if I have sex and find it's extremely pleasurable I may begin to lean even more towards the sexual end of the grey-A spectrum.

Thanks! I am a highlighter because I like wearing really bright neon colors. :3 One of my friends called me Highlighter when we first met because he didn't know my name at the time, and it just sort of stuck. So I used it online as well :D XD I was born and raised in Michigan, though I moved to Florida because I haaaate the cold :P

Since I really don't get more out of partnered sex than masturbation, and I don't do that much either, I just don't see the point of bothering with it.

So how much you get out of masturbation/sex then? It is very subjective but I ask because there are two possibilities:

1)You are not anhedonic, and you just don't really find sex to give more physical pleasure.

2)You are mostly anhedonic about your organ stimulation (anhedonia is on a scale not a 1-0 thing) so for that reason you don't really find sex different then masturbation because any difference is so small that it is hard to quantify anyway.

Since I really don't get more out of partnered sex than masturbation, and I don't do that much either, I just don't see the point of bothering with it.

So how much you get out of masturbation/sex then? It is very subjective but I ask because there are two possibilities:

1)You are not anhedonic, and you just don't really find sex to give more physical pleasure.

2)You are mostly anhedonic about your organ stimulation (anhedonia is on a scale not a 1-0 thing) so for that reason you don't really find sex different then masturbation because any difference is so small that it is hard to quantify anyway.

I am not anhedonic at all. When I had partnered sex, I found it quite physically pleasurable, and in the past had quite a high libido (recently I am on medications which diminish this, though). It's just the other aspects I didn't like, the social aspects. Being expected to behave in a certain way to seek out sexual encounters, being expected to be overly affectionate, to act "sexy," etc. Though I think I shifted from grey-A in my teens/early 20s to more ace in more recent years, I may have felt a slight amount of sexual attraction in the past, though I've always been absolutely aromantic and just not interested in any of it. It's the emotional aspect that other people seem to feel and it seems to come naturally to others that seems really alien to me, and no amount of physical pleasure makes it seem worthwhile to go through what feels like a ridiculous charade to me. Being with another person just causes me anxiety, I guess. I just prefer platonic relationships. Dealing with other people and their weird emotions just seems like such a drag to me. =0P

A big part of it for me is that I am fine with being naked around anyone (even strangers) and I reach orgasm much easier with someone else.

Can you explain to me how can you feel OK with being naked around anyone, even strangers? Were you always like this or did you get used to it at some stage of your life? Do you think you look so perfect and sexy that you don´t feel ashamed? Or how does it work? Because I don´t understand it at all.

I've always been like that. I feel about my naked body the way you feel about your face. It's just not a big deal. It's just a body. I'm much more comfortable without clothes on.

I am not anhedonic at all. When I had partnered sex, I found it quite physically pleasurable, and in the past had quite a high libido (recently I am on medications which diminish this, though). It's just the other aspects I didn't like, the social aspects. Being expected to behave in a certain way to seek out sexual encounters, being expected to be overly affectionate, to act "sexy," etc. Though I think I shifted from grey-A in my teens/early 20s to more ace in more recent years, I may have felt a slight amount of sexual attraction in the past, though I've always been absolutely aromantic and just not interested in any of it. It's the emotional aspect that other people seem to feel and it seems to come naturally to others that seems really alien to me, and no amount of physical pleasure makes it seem worthwhile to go through what feels like a ridiculous charade to me. Being with another person just causes me anxiety, I guess. I just prefer platonic relationships. Dealing with other people and their weird emotions just seems like such a drag to me. =0P

If you had felt sexual attraction then it is impossible to remove this effect from how much it made sex physically better then masturbation.

Member 35376

I'm unusual. I seem a lot more interested in sex than most asexuals, but I'm a lot less interested in it than most sexuals. But I suppose that's what the grey-A label is for :P

I consider myself an unusual "case" too, lol. I have never mentioned this anywhere else on the forum but sometimes I honestly think that I am LESS repulsed than some sexuals (yea.. no spelling error) towards sexual stuff. Because sexuals can be more or less repulsed by some sexual things and have strong preferences. Except being almost exclusively straight I can't really think of any sexual thing that would repulse me.. or something I would not do (yea.. of course I exclude obvious things as non-consent and forms of violence.. as a matter of fact I will turn down such wishes.. for asexuals in here who never been involved in the "sexual sphere" you would be surprised just what kind of fantasies there exists). So if someone wishes me to do this and that I probably will try it and as far as I know I am not repulsed by anything. Though.. despite being able to DO things I have no desire TO do them. The reason being mentioned in my first post here. Exactly why would I strive or even have a wish for something that was less than perfect in an emotional and pleasurable way.. making only one exception really.. someone else's WISH. Because an honest and emotional wish from someone is perfect in itself for me.. it gives me a choice.. something that an emotional demand merged with desire would never give me.

Vampyremage

I've always been like that. I feel about my naked body the way you feel about your face. It's just not a big deal. It's just a body. I'm much more comfortable without clothes on.

I think that's a very positive way to be. I feel like in the right context, such as being around other people that are casually accepting about their own nakedness, I wouldn't have a problem being naked either. Alas, I have not gotten to the stage of being comfortable being naked around other people that would not be comfortable with my nakedness, but overall I have nothing to really be ashamed of on my body. Of course, being comfortable inside one's own skin doesn't necessarily translate to being comfortable having sex or to being sexual. I'm far from ashamed of my body (why decorate it with tattoos and the like if I didn't like what was all ready there?) but I still don't get much out of sex and never really have.

Except being almost exclusively straight I can't really think of any sexual thing that would repulse me.. or something I would not do (yea.. of course I exclude obvious things as non-consent and forms of violence.. as a matter of fact I will turn down such wishes.. for asexuals in here who never been involved in the "sexual sphere" you would be surprised just what kind of fantasies there exists). So if someone wishes me to do this and that I probably will try it and as far as I know I am not repulsed by anything.

That's not obvious at all... those are all very common sexual fantasies.

If you had felt sexual attraction then it is impossible to remove this effect from how much it made sex physically better then masturbation.

What? I understand that many other people prefer partnered sex because they enjoy the emotional aspect. I avoid it because I dislike the emotional aspect. I have felt mild sexual attraction in the sense of "I'd like to have sex with that guy," but that doesn't mean I was emotionally involved in it. romantic people are often emotionally involved with their sex lives, and this may heighten the experience for them, but physical stimulation is still physical stimulation. Sex acts can range from satisfying to unsatisfying for most people.

Same. This is why I hated the times I had a roommate in college. In my own house or an apartment, I tend to wander around in the nude because it's comfortable (in hot weather, anyway). And sleep in the nude. And I get annoyed when people sexualize nudity too much, or say rude things about other people's bodies too much.

Member 35376

Except being almost exclusively straight I can't really think of any sexual thing that would repulse me.. or something I would not do (yea.. of course I exclude obvious things as non-consent and forms of violence.. as a matter of fact I will turn down such wishes.. for asexuals in here who never been involved in the "sexual sphere" you would be surprised just what kind of fantasies there exists). So if someone wishes me to do this and that I probably will try it and as far as I know I am not repulsed by anything.

That may be so (added bold text). In case you were being ironic.. plz do tell.

EDIT: Yes, I was myself very surprised by some peoples fantasies in RL when I heard them clearly expressed and wished. While you can find MOST stuff on the web that deals particularly with fantasies I must admit that I still have not found some things I myself have heard from others in RL.

What? I understand that many other people prefer partnered sex because they enjoy the emotional aspect. I avoid it because I dislike the emotional aspect. I have felt mild sexual attraction in the sense of "I'd like to have sex with that guy," but that doesn't mean I was emotionally involved in it. romantic people are often emotionally involved with their sex lives, and this may heighten the experience for them, but physical stimulation is still physical stimulation. Sex acts can range from satisfying to unsatisfying for most people

I am not saying that there no other emotions for other related to sex, but sexual attraction is not physical, but it can change the physical sensation. Physical was described by different touch/texture/pressure in sex vs masturbation.

In addition to the texture and pressure mentioned before, there are other factors which enhance the physical sensations of partnered sex when compared to masturbation. The most important one is that the vagina will envelop and stimulate the entire penis at the same time, while a hand can only stimulate a fraction of the surface area. There's also a temperature difference. It was far warmer than anything I've experienced with my hand. Outside of the genital region, there's a considerable amount of skin contact that I found to be extremely pleasurable, as well. There are ways to simulate some of these sensations, but none of them feel as pleasurable as the real thing.

However, there have been times while masturbating where I've experienced pleasure far beyond what I ever felt with a partner. I attribute that mostly to practice... I've only had a limited number of experiences with a partner (Twice for intercourse, heavy petting to orgasm only a handful of times, and all with the same woman), so I wasn't able to fine tune the experience, like I've been able to do with masturbation. In general, though, I'd say that the default level of pleasure is higher during partnered sex than during masturbation, but that the pleasure level for a specific instance can vary widely.

But despite the increased pleasure, the emotional connection wasn't there. There were times where I felt bored, like I was performing for her, there was the nagging threat of pregnancy, there was a sense that I should be enjoying it far more than I was, there was the added stress of needing to be mindful of her and to make sure that I wasn't too rough or too gentle or that I didn't accidentally jab her in the stomach with my elbow. If the situation were right, I'd be willing to have sex again, but I don't see any need to go out of my way to seek it out, and I'm fine if it never happens.

In my own house or an apartment, I tend to wander around in the nude because it's comfortable (in hot weather, anyway). And sleep in the nude.

I'd probably do this myself, if it weren't for the fact that I always seem to get cold when I try it out, and I don't like being cold. I'd also have to learn to be more comfortable when sitting in the nude. For some reason, that's never felt quite right to me. Standing, walking, and lying down are all fine, but sitting feels strange.

That may be so (added bold text). In case you were being ironic.. plz do tell.

EDIT: Yes, I was myself very surprised by some peoples fantasies in RL when I heard them clearly expressed and wished. While you can find MOST stuff on the web that deals particularly with fantasies I must admit that I still have not found some things I myself have heard from others in RL.

No, I wasn't being ironic. Just saying that fantasies and games involving non-consent, spanking, or whips are very common, so I was surprised you thought it was obvious that you would be repulsed by those things.

What are the things you've heard in real life, but can't find on the web?

In addition to the texture and pressure mentioned before, there are other factors which enhance the physical sensations of partnered sex when compared to masturbation. The most important one is that the vagina will envelop and stimulate the entire penis at the same time, while a hand can only stimulate a fraction of the surface area.

I only can feel anything in that part with most nerves, anyway simple to simulate.

There's also a temperature difference.

I don't get how is that supposed to be special, should be possible to simulate as well.

there's a considerable amount of skin contact that I found to be extremely pleasurable, as well.

Always felt indifferent to touching other people, can't find anything physically special about that.

There are ways to simulate some of these sensations, but none of them feel as pleasurable as the real thing.

So you are still left with the question on why is that. I just don't find way of thinking I feel it different physically = it must be a result of difference in physical stimulation, there is plenty of things that you can feel physically without physical stimulation from outside word. Did you experience sexual attraction? That seem like an important component.

btw Also I wonder how is for example seeing boobs in real life supposed to be different then seeing them in TV? They looked the same to me, how can people get excited about that. Just don't tell that this is because of potential sex, as that doesn't explain stripteasers.

Member 35376

No, I wasn't being ironic. Just saying that fantasies and games involving non-consent, spanking, or whips are very common, so I was surprised you thought it was obvious that you would be repulsed by those things.

What are the things you've heard in real life, but can't find on the web?

Ohhh, so that's what you meant.. gotta love text-communicating sometimes, lol! And I do notice now that the phrasing might sound strange and confusing though there IS actually a reason to it. And wow.. didn't even realize that I just happened to describe "wishing" from a VERY personal POV. To put it simply the wish from someone special enables me to do things I would not normally do and the way I put that phrase was to emphasise that. Without getting too personal.. I am pretty extreme when it comes to some peoples wishes.. how far I actually can follow them and now I was actually not referring to sexual things but "wishing" as a very powerful and important emotional concept for me. I consider sex a special case in which I could not possibly follow someone else's wish if that wish is too extreme (compared to a non-sexual situation where I actually could follow someone else's wish to quite some extremes). And THAT is why I put the phrasing in that way. I hope this sheds some light over it even though I feel that I lack the exact words in text-based communication to really describe a complete "overview" over something extremely important for me and it just so happens that THIS particular subject I very rarely talk about others with.. :)

If you wanna know the things that I have heard in RL but not found on the web concerning fantasises you are welcome to PM me if you have a personal interest in that matter. Even though I could use TMI-warning and spoilers I don't feel good about writing it down at all in the "open sphere" so plz PM if you wanna know.

Final EDIT completed :excl:

No, like I said, even without sexual attraction, intercourse still feels very different from masturbation. The other person is moving and squeezing in harmony with you, for one thing. It would be hard to simulate effectively, but there are sex toys that try.

It really is very physically different... you probably don't notice cause you're "indifferent to touching other people," but having your skin touched and caressed all over feels really great also.

And seeing anything in person is much different than seeing it on TV. It's three dimensional and just more real.

Member 35376

And seeing anything in person is much different than seeing it on TV. It's three dimensional and just more real.

Yes. This is something I often emphasise too because asexuals many times gets the question "why do you watch porn if you are asexual". Here is my latest post concerning that (the first post that I make in that thread): http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?/topic/60676-asexuals-and-porn/page__pid__1857553#entry1857553

Archived