I would like to unleash a MASSIVE STORM of visibility on the world

Member33070

I'm quite aware there was a big friendship bracelet thread. I think Arielle made some of them so you'll have to bug her and see if I'm right.

There is a Cafepress shop here: http://british-aces.spreadshirt.co.uk/

I suppose I should pull the finger out and write that asexual fanfiction on a kink meme. *shrugs*

kitchenwitch

Hey,

WRT this:

* Pepper every school in the world that teaches sex ed with letters about asexuality

I think one of the first things you'd want to do for this is come up with a template letter that people could use. Maybe if people don't want to sign letters with their own name/details you could have volunteers in different countries who would let there details be used (and didn't mind responding to further enquiries from schools etc...)- or am I over-thinking that? Actually this is when it'd be really useful to have a 'real-life' asexuality organisation that we could send letters on behalf of (maybe that could be a more ambitious future project )

This is something that the Asexual Awareness Week committee is already doing. I don't want to duplicate efforts, which is why I wanted to let you know. We're building a strategy and are targeting human sexuality professors as part of a large campus visibility effort for this fall. Asexual Awareness Week is Oct 23-29.

Also, to the point about an "official" asexuality organization, AAW will be a US recognized educational non-profit this summer. AAW is not AVEN-affiliated; we are an independent group of aces and allies from around the world with a mission to strategically target both our internal asexual community and external communities who could be useful allies in a specific campaign to raise asexual awareness.

Just extra information to pass around. And regarding the letters, if you want to work together on that project, we'd love the help. Send me a PM. :)

KW,

who is also sometimes known as Sara Beth

kitchenwitch

(I'm posting again to say that I love your enthusiasm and I by no means want to discourage it, although reading back my post it sort of sounds like that. I want you to be informed of what we're up to so that we don't a) confuse people, b) confuse ourselves, c) duplicate/overwhelm some people, specifically professors, d) so we can collaborate together in a community of leadership.)

Member33070

That sounds great. Maybe I should just join up with you guys. I'm starting to realize that this is a big task to undertake and it really seemed odd that nobody had thought of anything like this before (glad they had)!

We can blob our resources together and such.

I seem to be getting a lot of interested folks but it seems almost like the people on the tumblr are only half-interested. They want visibility but it seems that most of them don't want to put in the effort required.

I shall PM you for more info on that.

kitchenwitch

It is a big undertaking, and none of us can do it by ourselves. The AAW committee is 18 dedicated aces and allies, and I definitely feel like there are never enough hands to do big work! There is plenty of room for volunteers on our campaign, already there are a dozen or so working on various different projects. Anyone who wants to volunteer can PM me.

BlackRose

Wow... AAW vs. AVEN turf war! Awesome. We will kick your ass. We will send out twice as many letters as you and they will be better. And we'll tell them AAW kicks puppies. :lol:

kitchenwitch

LOL, it wasn't meant to be a turf war! Everyone's doing great work. We're doing really specific work and since it lined up with what Birdwing was talking about I wanted to mention it here. And plug for volunteers, since we're getting to that time in our campaign. :)

If you are going to send out letters, let us know! We can share resources, you know, and share the labor too. :)

• 3 weeks later...
the Lady Ashuko

Not an artist, but I think we should have an "Ace of Cakes" card design. :cake:

Måskemigselvetsted
Not an artist, but I think we should have an "Ace of Cakes" card design.

With 52 aces? Well, I have bluberry cake ace, chocolate cake ace, strawberrry cake ace, ice cream cake ace and vanilla cake ace.. Which cards do you have? :cake:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Member33070

Sorry guys. Dropped the ball, got embarassed, procrastinated on the explanation, then eventually forgot, then remembered again... :ph34r:

*waves awkwardly and embarassed-like*

Well, I was keeping things all up and running and then I got busy so I shut it down. Kept all the stuff, but I was working on it too much and it would have gotten in the way of school, so I've put it on the backburner until I have more time.

I'd like to get more involved with stuff but my plate has become maddeningly full and I don't know when I will have time to do anything. 26 credits in the summer between two schools. It's insane how little time I have.

I can't keep up with the tumblr by posting enough to satisfy anyone. Nobody was submitting anything anyway. It's inspiring to me to create something on my own, but without people as insanely enthusiastic as I can get in these little spurts of inspiration it was hard to actually see everything through.

Perhaps if I wasn't a crazy busy college student trying to take my 26 credits and plan my study abroad year and plan my life and function in my clubs and keep my room livable I would be able to see this through. Maybe in the fall I will have more time.

*sigh* I feel like I failed.

I didn't fail, I just gave up and got busy. Forgive me? :(

Lord Happy Toast

Asexual visibility and education is a long-term project. Not being able to do much vis/ed work now because you're really busy doesn't mean that you won't be able to in the future. There will be attempts that work well, and attempts that don't work so well. Hopefully, we can learn from ones that didn't work well, figure out what we can learn from it and do better next time.

Måskemigselvetsted

Sorry guys. Dropped the ball, got embarassed, procrastinated on the explanation, then eventually forgot, then remembered again... :ph34r:

Well, I was keeping things all up and running and then I got busy so I shut it down. Kept all the stuff, but I was working on it too much and it would have gotten in the way of school, so I've put it on the backburner until I have more time.

I'd like to get more involved with stuff but my plate has become maddeningly full and I don't know when I will have time to do anything. 26 credits in the summer between two schools. It's insane how little time I have.

I can't keep up with the tumblr by posting enough to satisfy anyone. Nobody was submitting anything anyway. It's inspiring to me to create something on my own, but without people as insanely enthusiastic as I can get in these little spurts of inspiration it was hard to actually see everything through.

Perhaps if I wasn't a crazy busy college student trying to take my 26 credits and plan my study abroad year and plan my life and function in my clubs and keep my room livable I would be able to see this through. Maybe in the fall I will have more time.

You didn't fail, and you didn't gave up. You just prioritied (I'm pretty sure that it's not the right word. But hopefully it's close enough :P ). Had you giving up, you wouldn't have mentioned that you maybe would get bake later - when you have more time.

And life can come in the way for so much - that happens to everyone!

Just curious, where do you want to study abroad?

26 credits?! We're lucky you're able to stand upright, never mind doing non-school work! Get yourself through this, then have another go at it.

Member33070

:wub: Thanks guys.

It is wearing me out. A lot. I completely crash on the weekends, in fact, pretty sure I'm sick right now. I have a fever and a headache at the same time. :( And it's summer. Do you know how much it sucks to have a fever when it's 75-80 degrees out, and you don't have access to any place that has an air conditioner, including your home?

@ Måskemigselvetsted (yes, I copy and pasted that username :lol:) - hopefully Germany. If not Germany, Scotland. Part of this madness is attempting to learn 3.5 years of German in 1.5 years.

I am insane.

Archived