Question about biromantic?

sevenseas

I was just curious as to whether this is considered biromantic.

I get majorly infatuated with people sometimes. It's only happened twice; once in middle school from 7th-8th grade, with a guy. I had zero desire to kiss him or do anything physical, I would just always wonder what he was thinking, what he thought about me, want to hang out and talk with him a lot. It was like a personality crush, if that makes sense- I don't think he was physically attractive at all. That lasted almost a year.

Then this year- 10th grade- it's with a girl on my track team. Just always wondering where she is or what she thinks or what she's doing, getting really quiet around her. Wish I was closer friends with her. This has been like 2 months. The most physical thing I want to is sit on the couch and watch movies or go on a run :) She is pretty, but I don't think thats a big (or maybe nonexistent) part of this.

Biromantic? Is it a romantic feeling if you basically just want emotional closeness, just like a very close friend that you can tell anything to? (But I've never heard of thinking about someone that would be a friend for this long.)

I dunno, I guess I feel abnormal :/

You're definitely not abnormal. I have feelings like that all the time! Some people call them 'squishes' instead of crushes. To me, a squish has always been a feeling of wanting to get to know someone better, but not in a sexual or romantic way. You just want to be friends.

I have a few squishes, and my friends never quite understand them. When I say, "I like *such and such person*", they automatically assume that I mean, you know...LIKE like. Grr. I just want to talk with them over coffee, I swear! They insist that I'm still being romantic.

In the end, it's up to you to decide what 'romance' is to you. It seems to be a different thing to different people. But there's nothing wrong with just wanting to be friends if that's what'll make you happy.

Personally, I think that friendship is something that happens; you become friends and enjoy someone's company a lot. If you really actively want to seek it with someone, feel like you need it, then it means that the situation is partially based on your ideal of what a person is like, and those feelings are definitely leaning towards romantic.

I wouldn't argue with anyone who says otherwise, but that's the way I see it myself. I'd say you were biromantic, judging from what you've said; romantic feelings and romantic experiences (roses and all that cushy stuff) are totally different IMO. What you're experiencing is far from abnormal.

EDIT: although, ultimately, I must stress that the decision as to where you stand is yours :)

Archived