Does anyone do the ring thing?

I didn't know it existed but I wear a purity ring, not that anyone really knows what that means either! I don't know if I'd purposely buy one but if I saw a black/silver ring I liked I might be interested.

Spelevinken

What's the whole point of wearing a black ring when majority people don't even know what Asexuals are?

Well doesn't the ring just give you an oppurtunity to tell them? If someone sees that you're wearing it a lot, maybe they'll ask if there's anything special going on with it!

Or, if you don't want to tell anyone, you can still wear it... wait, I had a great argument here, but it's gone... Just wear it for fun ;D

I improvised one out of four small rubber gaskets that I pilfered from the shop I work at. XD

What's the whole point of wearing a black ring when majority people don't even know what Asexuals are?

While I can't speak for anyone else, I wear my as sort of a comfort thing, more then because I want to be recognized by someone. I've spent the past 8 years (I think, from 16 to 23) feeling like I was alone, and the only person in the world who didn't care about sex, and it got me majorly depressing, and forced me into situations that I didn't want to be in because I thought I had to, to fit in.

So now I can look at the ring on my finger and know that I am not alone, and other people out there have probably felt like that to at some point to.

So it's comforting, and it makes me smile.

If someone recognizes it, then it's a bonus.

I do the ring thing as well. I have been able to locate other asexuals in my area because of the ring. Some people question what it means and I simply explain it to them. Some individuals do not know what the black ring symbolises except for the people who do, so it can act as an, what I like to call, "asexual radar."

Went and bought myself one, cheap silvery thing that I'm colouring black. It's a nice reminder that I'm not alone, that somewhere, someone is doing the same thing for the same reason. Plus, it looks cool.

The Vampire Queen

While I can't speak for anyone else, I wear my as sort of a comfort thing, more then because I want to be recognized by someone. I've spent the past 8 years (I think, from 16 to 23) feeling like I was alone, and the only person in the world who didn't care about sex, and it got me majorly depressing, and forced me into situations that I didn't want to be in because I thought I had to, to fit in.

So now I can look at the ring on my finger and know that I am not alone, and other people out there have probably felt like that to at some point to.

So it's comforting, and it makes me smile.

If someone recognizes it, then it's a bonus.

That's exactly why I'm getting one.

Got a black stainless steel one with eastern dragons etched into it on my wishlist! :wub:

I think I really should buy a black ring at some point. Does it have to be fully black or can it have golden inlays or some such as well?

In_Omnia_Paratus

I used to have a plastic ring I painted black because it was the only one that fit on my middle finger ahahaha

but I found a really nice black ring with a silver stripe a few months ago and I don't wear it every day but I wear it often.

Way I see it is that any way to increase the chance of meeting other asexuals or helping people feel less alone is a good thing.

misscuriosity

when I was looking for mine if I had come across a black rings with ace cards on it, I would've gotten that instead. Personally I think that's what we should change it to. something like this:

R-2050.jpg

except black, not silver, with white or purple aces of a sort (all the way around). So we can readily identify who's just wearing a black ring for fun, and who's wearing it as a symbol. Also, I think the AVENStore should totally sell them :lol:

I like this silver one with ace cards more than its black version. Silver ones just look more stylish, in my opinion.

misscuriosity

You saw mine this morning :) I wore it today

acerings.jpg

That one

Where did you get this ring? That is THE ring we all should wear. It's got the shape and the colors that symbolize asexuality according to AVEN, hasn't it?

acerings.jpg

That one

Where did you get this ring? That is THE ring we all should wear. It's got the shape and the colors that symbolize asexuality according to AVEN, hasn't it?

I prefer just the idea of a black ring and everyone picks one according to their own taste. Having an ace ring is good, having a unique ace ring is better.

I like the idea of wearing a ring to represent my asexuality...it would be a comfort and reminder of not being alone and it would help identify me to those in the know. I didn't think it would be this hard to find a ring I like, though. ~Acer~'s ring is awesome; no idea where to find it, though. I found another that I really like. It's more of a dark gunmetal grey than black, though...I wonder if it matters too much? Thoughts? It's a handmade sandblasted titanium band with anodized purple interior.

il_fullxfull.193143685.jpg

I do not currently have a ring. (I'm fifteen and don't get out much to go to ring stores) what I do is every morning I draw with a black marker a circle around my middle finger so it's like a ring.

Beyourownspotlight

I do not currently have a ring. (I'm fifteen and don't get out much to go to ring stores) what I do is every morning I draw with a black marker a circle around my middle finger so it's like a ring.

Love your picture thing, it's kick ass. And I used to do that /still do that sometimes when I forget to put my ring on lol xD

The Vampire Queen

lol :P I still haven't found one >.<

.go.be.it.

I have one that I made with a bit of wire... I'll have to post a picture of it.

The Warden

acerings.jpg

That one

I incredibly love it as well. I'm not really the type of person to wear black straight out - personally I think plain black is mostly related to morning. Then the issue is finding a ring with enough black to look like an asexual ring without too much silver. Which I have been having issues with.

How hard I have been searching I can't find one online and I think it is because of this.

Acer lives in the U.K. - there you have Argos (which is a large supermarket chain). They have their own jewelery and they have stacker rings. The centre piece, I believe, is a sterling silver purple gem stacker ring and from the looks of the website - is not longer in production.

I believe the ring is three stacker rings in one but as the middle ring is no longer available so if we want this ring we will need to go to a jeweler and get it made personally. Which makes me sad :(

Unless there is someone in England to check for us :3

I probably will go to a dollar store and get at aluminum ring and rustloleum

Musical Lottie

I briefly considered it when I first realised I'm asexual but black really, really isn't me. I wear a 3mm silver ring on my RH ring finger with CZ stones because it's pretty, and when I go anywhere by myself I swap it to my wedding finger in an attempt to stop creepy men hitting on me. The worst places are the Jobcentre, and the London Underground (which I love, just not the being hit on bit) so I make sure to sit or stand with my ring visible. It's not really a wedding band so for me it just symbolises that I'm not available!

SorryNotSorry

Apparently there's some in-crowd sort of color-code system for rings that I don't know about? What do all the colors mean?

Anyhow, I have 2 rings I machined myself, plain bands... one is titanium and the other is stainless steel. I have no idea how to patina them black, but I'd probably try it if I knew how.

BTW when I was making stainless jewelry a couple of years ago, I figured out how to machine the insides of rings to produce very comfortable elliptical bands. When I asked a jewelry store if anyone made rings like that, I was shocked to learn that the elliptical cross section is called a Supreme Fit , and they're NOT cheap rings. Talk about parallel evolution!

Looks like the custom ring thing fell through, so I'm going to go for plan b, which is the black tungsten carbide LOTR ring. Found them for $30.00 :D

I have a black stainless steel ring that says "LOVE" on it, found it on Amazon. I don't wear it often yet, still getting used to wearing a ring on that finger. I couldn't find one that had an ace of hearts card on it that was thin enough and came in a small enough ring size.

• 2 weeks later...
guitar sunshine

mine's a thin grey ring with a small black stone in the middle i got at icing-btw their rings are cheap lol the paint already started to chip, but it's ok, i keep fixing it with nail polish :P anyway i try to wear mine every day, but i take it off for gym class and when i play guitar or draw since it gets in the way

Serpent Moon

I want to find an earring for my helix piercing. Black with a purple triangle and a spade....hmm that sounds like I'm going to need to go custom

Destiny's Angel

acerings.jpg

That one

where'd you get that? its awesome! :)

Trickster Kitsune

Ooh, this is a good idea! The only problem is... I despise wearing rings. xD I'm always afraid they'll either get stuck on my finger or fall off, so I'm always worrying about it. But... Would wearing a black ring on a necklace work? Though, I guess the ring itself is more of a personal symbol, so I could explain if anyone asked. xD Either way, I need to save my pennies for this one:

blackbirdring.jpg

I love birds, so it makes it a perfect fit! Except that it's 8mm. :( Oh, well. I can improvise. xD

(Ring is from here.)

NoJudgement

I would wear a black ring but I avoid wearing black as much as possible due to my pale complexion. I wish there was an alternative jewelry-related symbol.