Demiromantic? Gray R? Is that possible?

BattleHamster

BattleHamster

I identified as aromantic for a while, but I think that's inaccurate--I think that I do experience some romantic attraction toward other women (and maybe very, very occasionally men), just very infrequently (and maybe not as strongly as romantic people). I think I'm almost aromantic, but not quite.

And when I think about the future, I don't really care whether I spend it with (a) romantic partner(s) or single, and I'm pretty sure that's not the case for most romantic people.

I don't know. Does anyone have any idea?

Edit: By very infrequently, I mean like twice in my life, and I'm twenty.

Bountiful Harvest

Well I consider myself heteroromantic although I haven't felt any strong romantic attraction towards anyone in about a year or so. What I think separates me from being aromatic is the fact that I do feel romance, sure it's not all the time and it's infrequent but sexuals don't feel sexy feelings all the time do they?

I'm just as confused about it as you :wacko:

EDIT: Ah okay, I understand what you mean by infrequently now :)

Yes, there are a few members of the forum who identify as demi-romantic or grey-romantic, myself included.

BattleHamster

Yes, there are a few members of the forum who identify as demi-romantic or grey-romantic, myself included.

Could you tell me more about why you identify as gray-romantic and what you experience? (If you don't mind, I mean; I just think it would help me figure out what I am.)

Well I don't think of myself as demi-romantic but I can give my aromantic side of this. I love my friends very much and cherish them but when it comes to the romantic partners I have had, everything just feels so fake. My friends could tell me any day of the week they loved me and I could, without the shadow of a doubt, say the same thing to them. But if a boyfriend/girlfriend said the same thing I wouldn't be able to answer without it feeling like a charade. Conclusion: I do not feel romantic towards boyfriends/girlfriends ever.

One of the ways to find out whether or not you're aromantic is to just imagine a relationship with someone you have these romantic feelings towards. It might give you a feeling of what your own mind thinks about it. And also if you go ahead and identify as demi-romantic no one is going to hit you and yell at you if you find out you aren't, discovering things about yourself always take time and you're bound to get lost somewhere along the road. Just take it slow and try to find your way.

I think it is possible. I´m probably grey in both, sexuality and romance. Both are totaly rare and surprising for me.

I'm the same as you. I've experienced romantic attraction, but it's been relatively weak and infrequent. And I don't care whether or not I end up with a romantic partner, as long as I have supportive friends. So I could be considered gray-romantic (not demi-romantic, because the people I've been attracted to haven't necessarily been people I had an emotional connection with). The whole romantic orientation concept is non-intuitive to me, so I don't really try to force myself into it too much.

Ah, I had been wondering about this for quite a while.

I believe this might be the case for me as well.

I'm still young (18), but I am in a romantic relationship, and have been for close to 2 years now. However, before I met my partner I never experienced romantic or sexual feelings for anyone. I never experienced a crush, or "liked" anybody. Looking to the future, I really cannot imagine myself having romantic feelings for anyone other than my partner.

I have heard demisexuality as being described as sexually attracted to your only your partner, so might my experience be applicable to the label of demiromantic?

• 4 weeks later...

I must admit I've never fully understood grey and demi..so to see others explanations and perspectives is very welcome :cake:

Archived