A quote about us in a paper about sexting

Lord Happy Toast

Lord Happy Toast

In order to keep up with research on asexuality, I have google scholar alerts for all of the papers about asexuality that have been cited before. Today, I got an alert about, "‘‘Let My Fingers Do the Talking’’: Sexting and Infidelity in Cyberspace" in the journal Sexuality and Culture. The title didn't make it obvious how asexuality might be involved so I did a ctrl+f on it, and found the relevant section:

Conducting Sexual Research Online

The internet has become a good place to conduct research (Farrell and Petersen 2010). Studies have been done on gay chat rooms (Campbell 2004; Jones 2005), neo nazi groups (Hughey 2008; Mitra and Watts 2002; Mitra 1996) finding mail order brides (Johnson 2007), S & M (Wysocki and Thalken 2007), and even those who have developed an asexual identity (Scherrer 2008).

The first thing that stood out to me is the fact that whole journals exist that are devoted to internet research, so there's something odd about acting like it's this wild new thing (seriously folks, this is 2011). And then what really got me was putting asexuality at the end of the list, prefaced by "even." I get the feeling that they're suggesting that gay chat rooms, neo nazi groups, S & M, and mail order brides may be kind of our there, but asexual identity? Now that's some fucked up shit!

On a bad day, I would have been offended. Fortunately, today's been a fairly good day, and it made me laugh, and so I wanted to share it. It may be questionable visibility, but at least it's visibility.

In order to keep up with research on asexuality, I have google scholar alerts for all of the papers about asexuality that have been cited before. Today, I got an alert about, "‘‘Let My Fingers Do the Talking’’: Sexting and Infidelity in Cyberspace" in the journal Sexuality and Culture. The title didn't make it obvious how asexuality might be involved so I did a ctrl+f on it, and found the relevant section:

Conducting Sexual Research Online

The internet has become a good place to conduct research (Farrell and Petersen 2010). Studies have been done on gay chat rooms (Campbell 2004; Jones 2005), neo nazi groups (Hughey 2008; Mitra and Watts 2002; Mitra 1996) finding mail order brides (Johnson 2007), S & M (Wysocki and Thalken 2007), and even those who have developed an asexual identity (Scherrer 2008).

The first thing that stood out to me is the fact that whole journals exist that are devoted to internet research, so there's something odd about acting like it's this wild new thing (seriously folks, this is 2011). And then what really got me was putting asexuality at the end of the list, prefaced by "even." I get the feeling that they're suggesting that gay chat rooms, neo nazi groups, S & M, and mail order brides may be kind of our there, but asexual identity? Now that's some fucked up shit!

On a bad day, I would have been offended. Fortunately, today's been a fairly good day, and it made me laugh, and so I wanted to share it. It may be questionable visibility, but at least it's visibility.

I would assay that the EVEN had everything to do that the fact that the idea would be asexuals would be the last group to partake in sexting. I guess we're the control group?

I would say mandle..huzzah

as we expand ..our existence is becoming more widely known ..and hopefully as knowledged grows..the ability to mention asexuality not as a phase or a ugly persons cop out ....but as a genuine orientation

we are becoming more well known..and is why I have been more so insistent that as a pt we are one of the most effective in house, externally presenting pt's than anyone else

we are fighting for correct projection and thats why I rarely gave a shit if I offended people when pushing for a positive pt

I think we are now starting to see the benefits of many of those who volunteer for the pt with a clear direction and more importantly a real world perspective about how we go forward..and for that I am gratefull

now..if we can just apply that to how the forum works before too many strangers come in to have a look :lol:

I may have the wrong attitude here but, any visibility is good visibility :D

Let's hope so! :D

Måskemigselvetsted
I would assay that the EVEN had everything to do that the fact that the idea would be asexuals would be the last group to partake in sexting. I guess we're the control group?

Yay for control groups :D :cake:

And then what really got me was putting asexuality at the end of the list, prefaced by "even." I get the feeling that they're suggesting that gay chat rooms, neo nazi groups, S & M, and mail order brides may be kind of our there, but asexual identity? Now that's some fucked up shit!

Hmm, when you put it that way it is pretty hilarious. :P