Any Other Panromantics Around?

Vampyremage

Matters Of The Heart

I've never actually fallen for someone who falls into a category outside the first basic two genders, but I don't see it as something that could never happen to me. I've certainly fallen for someone without taking their body into much consideration, they just so happened to identify as either male or female.

So yes. I am panromantic.

emptyurpockets

Thanks you bitterforsweet and awesome to see I'm not the only panromantic lurking about :)

im panromantic :)

Sen Holiday

Panaffectionate (which, to me, is the same as panromantic, I just like the way it sounds), polyamorous, genderqueer ace. Hi!

Sen Holiday

I wonder, is there any difference between the two?

Between panromantic and panaffectionate? I think maybe there could be, depending on how you define romance as an asexual. Or if you're aromantic, but panaffectionate? To me, romantic relationships and non-romantic relationships blur together, so panromantic and panaffectionate mean the same thing to me.

Nathan Blair

Oh, I get it. But isn't saying you're panaffectionate suggesting you're aromantic? And I think I read somewhere else you said you were romantic.

Sen Holiday

I'm not sure if that's what it would imply -- when I was just learning about asexuality and realizing I identified as asexual, I stumbled upon the terms panaffectionate and panromantic, which were presented as synonyms. I just liked the way panaffectionate sounded. I'm definitely not aromantic. I'm probably the most hopelessly romantic person I know.

*raises hand* Though I know the same better as omni-romantic...

It's a shame this thread has been hijacked though. :rolleyes: I'm really sick of having to explain the difference of birth sex and gender identity. And I'm sick and *beeping* tired of being invalidated and written out of society as a person who is genderqueer. Not a great thing to be slapped in the face with cis-privilege where you'd expect greater knowledge and tolerance...

Tuonenkalla

Yeah, panromantic here too. I call myself panromantic since well, I have only had crushes (or squishes) for males or females but I especially like persons with more genderless looks.

And to last page's discussion, while the persons I'm interested may be physically "just male or just female" they are not only those features I like in their appearance, if we talk only about physical traits in here. Thus I feel like I can't say I'm biromantic but a panromantic.

Of course the the appearance isn't what matters most, but that's obvious of course.

I believe biromantic (and bisexual people) is a possibility to like someone of either sex or gender - but there is a preference for one over the other. Panromantic (and pansexual) does not see gender or sex at all and the preference usually rests on personality. That seems to be a very different definition than given on page one - but it's how I perceive it and always have.

I've recently realized that I'm panromantic. I've known I was asexual for about 2 years now - but I always just figured I was heteroromantic because I was in a hetero relationship. After my boyfriend confided in me that he thought he was pansexual (because gender isn't real and he sees people, not sex) I started thinking about it myself, trying to figure out if there was anything in me that actually made me prefer males. After thinking about I realized I dislike male and female genitalia equally (haha) and I know gender is completely constructed so I'm slowly coming to terms with the idea that I'm panromantic. It doesn't matter though as I'm in the perfect respectful relationship (I've been in it for 3 1/2 years and we're both vegan and he accepts my asexuality so I imagine it to be long lasting), but it still feels nice to try and figure out exactly who I am. A bit confused as well though.

If I only plan to stay with my boyfriend and marry him - do I need to tell my homophobic family I'm panromantic? Especially since they still don't even believe I'm asexual. >< My mom actually asked my family doctor when I was out of the room if asexual is a real thing.

Vampyremage

I believe biromantic (and bisexual people) is a possibility to like someone of either sex or gender - but there is a preference for one over the other. Panromantic (and pansexual) does not see gender or sex at all and the preference usually rests on personality. That seems to be a very different definition than given on page one - but it's how I perceive it and always have.

I've recently realized that I'm panromantic. I've known I was asexual for about 2 years now - but I always just figured I was heteroromantic because I was in a hetero relationship. After my boyfriend confided in me that he thought he was pansexual (because gender isn't real and he sees people, not sex) I started thinking about it myself, trying to figure out if there was anything in me that actually made me prefer males. After thinking about I realized I dislike male and female genitalia equally (haha) and I know gender is completely constructed so I'm slowly coming to terms with the idea that I'm panromantic. It doesn't matter though as I'm in the perfect respectful relationship (I've been in it for 3 1/2 years and we're both vegan and he accepts my asexuality so I imagine it to be long lasting), but it still feels nice to try and figure out exactly who I am. A bit confused as well though.

If I only plan to stay with my boyfriend and marry him - do I need to tell my homophobic family I'm panromantic? Especially since they still don't even believe I'm asexual. >< My mom actually asked my family doctor when I was out of the room if asexual is a real thing.

I think its completely up to you whether you feel you need to tell your family that you're panromantic or not. My family doesn't know that I'm either asexual or panromantic. Its not that I hide it from them, exactly, since I'm openly out on facebook (as in its listed right on the about me section) so it'd be a little difficult to do so. However, I never saw the need to have "the talk" with any of them. If it happens to come out then I plan to be open and honest, but if not then I'd rather just avoid the headache if at all possible. I'm alternative enough as it is without giving my father yet another thing to worry about haha. Not that I think either my asexuality or my panromanticism is something to worry about, of course, but parents being as they sometimes are, I'm fairly certain my father would worry regardless of the fact that he actually has anything to worry about.

I think its completely up to you whether you feel you need to tell your family that you're panromantic or not. My family doesn't know that I'm either asexual or panromantic. Its not that I hide it from them, exactly, since I'm openly out on facebook (as in its listed right on the about me section) so it'd be a little difficult to do so. However, I never saw the need to have "the talk" with any of them. If it happens to come out then I plan to be open and honest, but if not then I'd rather just avoid the headache if at all possible. I'm alternative enough as it is without giving my father yet another thing to worry about haha. Not that I think either my asexuality or my panromanticism is something to worry about, of course, but parents being as they sometimes are, I'm fairly certain my father would worry regardless of the fact that he actually has anything to worry about.

Unfortunately my family talks about sexuality quite a bit. The incessant nagging that if I don't have sex or children with my boyfriend he will leave me, or even that girls can't like girls because it's unnatural. I agree though about giving my father another thing to worry about, haha. They always say well you're vegan and it's hard, but it could be harder... at least you're not gay.

I'm quite certain I am panromantic, but I guess since it's all new I'm having trouble weighing out the pros and cons. Would they be less openly homophobic if they knew I was panromantic? Would it get worse and they'd try and convince me even more to have sex with my boyfriend? Should I just ignore their comments? I imagine I'll figure it all out with time though - every family is different. Just feels interesting to be able to say I'm panromantic to anyone other than my boyfriend, as everyone else still can't fathom that I'm asexual so why even bring another word into the mix yet?

By some people's definitions, I'm pan. By my own definition, I'm bi. Technically also demisexual, but honesty I usually tell people I'm bisexual, if I tell them anything at all. The thing for me is that gender identity plays little to no role in my attraction; I base my orientation/label more on physical/biological sex. So even though I could be attracted to someone who's transgender, agender, gender neutral, whatever -- I still identify as bi. If that makes any sense, I dunno.

*raises hand*

Another panromantic here. It's taken a while for me to come to this conclusion... after two years, neither gay, straight, nor bi really fit, so... *shrug* you know. Mind you, if people ask, I'm more likely to say I'm bi. It's just far easier to explain and avoids the whole 'sex =/= gender' conversation that most of my friends really struggle with. It makes my life far easier to work with labels they can get their heads around :P. Though my close friends that know about my ace-ness know I am pan too...

Confusing? Possibly, but it works for me.

Archived